Nintendo: 'New Play' for Nintendo Switch to be Revealed Later (2PM PST, 10PM GMT)

Started by Xevross, Jan 17, 2018, 02:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

I like it. Not sure how it all works. But that card board wont last with kids.

They went from selling a lot of plastic with the wii to alot of card board with the switch. Expect these to be hard to find.

The one flaw i see is, anyone with a laser cutter or a plotter will be able to copy them, fairly easy. Glad i have a plotter.

kitler53

it not that it is a bad idea but that it is late to market, cardboard is very destructable, and overall this isless functional than the competitors.  

at $159 this is cheaper and cooler.  my niece has and loves it though.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creative-Toolbox-Building-Coding/dp/B072MK1PDV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516237834&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+stem+cat

this will do better than you guys seem to expect but it will sell to the nintendo faithful much moreso than expand their audience.  there are too many other, better options in the STEM toy market. 

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

Legend

I think it's a pretty poor idea for video games but as a physical toy it could be cool. Really young kids could love feeling the "magic" of their cardboard coming to life as long as the software is open ended enough to give them freedom with how they want to play.

Reminds me of Sony's attempt with wonderbook but the similarities are only surface level. It could be a comparable flop or it could be a huge success depending on how Nintendo/the dev company push it. Release date is weird but I imagine the execs didn't think about it.

it not that it is a bad idea but that it is late to market, cardboard is very destructable, and overall this isless functional than the competitors. 

at $159 this is cheaper and cooler.  my niece has and loves it though.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creative-Toolbox-Building-Coding/dp/B072MK1PDV/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516237834&sr=8-1&keywords=lego+stem+cat

this will do better than you guys seem to expect but it will sell to the nintendo faithful much moreso than expand their audience.  there are too many other, better options in the STEM toy market.

Hey you visited! :)

Do you think that the Nintendo tie in and video game angle could help push new people into the market and make this product more popular than the existing stuff?

I used this lego guy in middle school:

Mmm_fish_tacos

Holly crud, 70 and 80 dollars for the two sets.

kitler53

the-pi-guy

The Nintendo Labo Robot Kit is impressive, here is how it works | ResetEra

Since journalists couldn't test the Robot Kit like they did the Variety Kit, I decided to make this thread to describe how it works based on footage. The product: https://labo.nintendo.com/kits/robot-kit/(​IMG) As you can see in the above image, there is a backpack with extendable straps where the Right Joy-Con is inserted into the face of it. There is a visor where the Left Joy-Con is inserted into a slot. (Yes, you only need to use two Joy-Cons with the Robot Kit and it's not used on your hands.) There are four handles that act as pulleys, they are tied with string, two handles are held by the hands while the other two have straps to tie around the feet to hold it.(​IMG) In the above image, you can see for the piano from the variety kit that the IR Camera is reading reflective strips of tape to detect the movement of the keys when pressed down. This is similar to the backpack for the robot kit:(​IMG) The IR Camera detects those white strips that are moving up and down based on movement of the arms and legs. If you look at the game shown, it shows the same pulley system on the robot's back:(​IMG) What does the visor do? Although it wasn't seen in the footage, the left Joy-Con attached to the visor acts as a head tracker to move the camera in-game for Toy-Con 02. One last tidbit, technically the robot you control in-game is a Skell:(​IMG) 

kitler53

Jan 18, 2018, 04:03 PM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2018, 04:13 PM by kitler53
Do you think that the Nintendo tie in and video game angle could help push new people into the market and make this product more popular than the existing stuff?

I used this lego guy in middle school:

possibly a few.  this quote feels very applicable right now:

"I don't think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard. A box on the other hand, that says Nintendo on it, they probably would. Remember when you were a kid and you get gifts, and when you're really little you like the box better than the gift? That's how I think of Nintendo fanboys."  ~patcher

there are plenty of 20 something nintendo fanatics that will believe this is truely innovative here because they have no clue this is a pretty established market.

no,.. my thoughts are this.  I am pretty squarely the target market for this.  i work in the STEM field and I have kids that I buy toys for that I feel has as much education value as it does entertainment value.  code-a-pillar was one of the most popular toys on the previous christmas (2016).  i bought one to give to my son for his fourth b-day.  the key part of my demographic is going to be both nintendo's blessing as well as curse,..  i have a lot of disposable income.  that means a couple things for nintendo:

1. on the one hand nintendo can't really compete against the competitors like this.  $159 (for the previously linked product) is really a nothing cost for me.  offering a cheap product really isn't a great thing because my demographic has the money to prefer to buy the best, especially when it comes to educating my child.  my child is a high priority for me and i would be far more interested in a higher quality product. 
2. on the other hand my demographic probably has a video game system in their house regardless of this product's existance.  while i personally have a ps4 it should be expected that switch is already in a decent percentage of the house holds that would consider buying labo.   ...at which point $70 is really a nothing cost.   if i already had a switch i'd probably buy it for my kid.

i dunno.  i think this will do decent.  A million-ish in foolish nintendo fans that won't really enjoy the product but buy it anyways because it has nintendo's name on it.  a million-ish in parents that already had a switch in the house and think this is a more substantive way for their kids to play.  perhaps a bit better than that.  i can see 2-4 million in sales.

those are the two audiences though.  as an adult this has no appeal to me.  cardboard?!?  fudge that.  this was my xmas gift which is a lot of way very much like labo:

but in one very important  place it is very different.  it's not fudgy ugly and so easily destructible.  the piano especially would be cool if it was made of wood and not cardboard.

darkknightkryta

Jan 18, 2018, 06:58 PM Last Edit: Jan 18, 2018, 07:04 PM by darkknightkryta
First thing I thought when I was watching was that it reminded me of the cardboard google VR that google released for phones.  Second thing I thought is that Nintendo's going to re-release all those shaming peripherals from the Wii, but in cardboard form.  Probably going to charge the same amount as the plastic.  A scheme to sell shame at a higher margin.  The Nintendo crazies are going to eat this up.

Edit: I'm suddenly reminded of Patcher's words "I don't think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard. A box on the other hand, that says Nintendo on it, they probably would. Remember when you were a kid and you get gifts, and when you're really little you like the box better than the gift? That's how I think of Nintendo fanboys."  Looks like he's wrong and they will buy pieces of cardboard.

Go Up