The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

Started by Legend, Jun 13, 2017, 12:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system." - NeoGAF

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/13/1...-pro-interview
“I look at (PS4) Pro as more of a competitor to (Xbox One) S than I do to Xbox One X,” claims Spencer. “This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there.” Spencer points out 40 percent more GPU speed, more RAM, and the speed of storage as the advantages of the Xbox One X over the PS4 Pro, but he also knocks Sony’s methods for getting to 4K resolutions with some of its games. “When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.” Spencer also says he expects the majority of consoles that Microsoft sells next year will be Xbox One S.

Finally, Spencer addresses the lack of first-party game announcements during Microsoft’s E3 press conference. Microsoft had plenty of big games to show, but in terms of announcements it was only Forza Motorsport 7 as a truly new triple-A title. Spencer believes Ori, Super Lucky’s Tale, and Sea of Thieves serve as solid announcements, but he admits he has been heavily focused on hardware over the past few years since taking over the chief Xbox role. “I do think we have an opportunity to get better in first-party and to grow,” says Spencer. “We've got great support from the company to go do that.”

Spencer also notes Microsoft has signed some “things we haven’t announced” but that it’s too early to build hype about.

lol

Aura7541

I mean, if you look from a sales standpoint for this year, Phil's kinda right.

Xevross

Raven

And yet for some reason you already have 3 games that can't achieve 4K without sacrificing framerate on Xbox One X. #cpumatters

DerNebel

Lol, fudge off spencer

darkknightkryta

He's just jealous Sony's scaling solution gets pretty close to the 4k at a significantly cheaper price.

Legend

He's just jealous Sony's scaling solution gets pretty close to the 4k at a significantly cheaper price.
Xbonex can do checkerboard rendering too. Sony doesn't own it.

(top paragraph)

darkknightkryta

Xbonex can do checkerboard rendering too. Sony doesn't own it.

(top paragraph)

The price point stands  8)

Ludicrous Speed

Just typical PR speak. I'm sure there will be games that don't hit native 4k. Nice to see some big AAA games hitting native 4k right off the bat though, people didn't expect that  ;D

Legend

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  The Verge w/ Phil Spencer: "PS4 Pro is a Xbox One S competitor, not true 4K system."

"6>4" but we aren't competing with that product.

Their teams need to work on synergy.

Xevross

I said that for this to do well they need to market it superbly and really convince people that its worth it... yeah, that isn't going so well right now

ethomaz

Phil is finally showing his battleship face to everybody lol

Dr. Pezus

Wait... That's some battleship. Pro is much closer to X than it is to S in power lol