SpaceX targets 2019 for their space internet to become publically available

Started by Legend, May 03, 2017, 05:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

With latency as low as 25ms, SpaceX to launch broadband satellites in 2019 | Ars Technica

Essentially it brings Google Fiber to every location on the planet. Even if it costs the same as ground providers, it will finally deliver some competition.

First test satellite is to launch this year.

Xevross

Awesome! I hope this is ready by 2019, that would be really great.

Also you mention competition but that would only be in America. Most places don't have google fibre.

Legend

Also you mention competition but that would only be in America. Most places don't have google fibre.
No google fiber isn't in most of America either. They stopped expanding and invested $1 billion into SpaceX, probably for space internet.

THe competition is traditional isps like comcast.

Raven

Wait... we're talking internet being beamed from satellites that give us the same kind of connection tthat Google Fiber does?

Legend

Wait... we're talking internet being beamed from satellites that give us the same kind of connection tthat Google Fiber does?
You'd need a laptop sized receiver but mostly yes. Lag would be the one area where the connection is only average.

Raven

You'd need a laptop sized receiver but mostly yes. Lag would be the one area where the connection is only average.
All I need to know Legend is... is this the future??

Legend

All I need to know Legend is... is this the future??

Xevross

No google fiber isn't in most of America either. They stopped expanding and invested $1 billion into SpaceX, probably for space internet.

THe competition is traditional isps like comcast.
Oh I see.

Yeah that would be great. There's not really any competition in the UK. All the companies use the same internet structure (openreach) except for Virgin media. Virgin is quite limited but a lot faster in some places.

the-pi-guy

Did you not know that Google fiber isn't in most places?  :o

darkknightkryta

I don't know.  They have satellite internet up in the boonies and it sucks.

Dr. Pezus

I don't know.  They have satellite internet up in the boonies and it sucks.
Was it made by musk?

Xevross

Did you not know that Google fiber isn't in most places?  :o

Well I don't live in America so all I know is the google fibre is only an American thing

the-pi-guy

Well I don't live in America so all I know is the google fibre is only an American thing
Unfortunately only like 10 or 20 cities have Google fiber.  

I think my parents are paying like 80$ for 10 mb/s.  
And that's the only provider here.  

darkknightkryta

Xevross

Unfortunately only like 10 or 20 cities have Google fiber.  

I think my parents are paying like 80$ for 10 mb/s.  
And that's the only provider here.  
Yeah its a bit like that in the UK. Most cities have fibre now but its all on openreach with the exception of virgin (which is very limited). If you're not in a city you won't be able to get fibre and its about the same price.

My friend who is just a few minutes drive outside of the city I live in gets about 5mb/s while for only I think £5 a month more we get 70mb/s. Fibre broadband on its own costs about £30 a month I think.

In London and some other big cities you can get up to 800mb/s though. It'd be great to have that everywhere