Sony Xperia C3 (Selfie phone)

Started by 7H3, Jul 11, 2014, 04:43 AM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

If you could care less. 
If you could take away from how much you care means that you care. 

The author basically says that if you care, but could care less, then it might not be for you. 
It's not the author's fault, I hate the phrase because people mix it up.

If you could eat an apple, implies you have an apple to eat. 

fixed... :P

If one doesn't care at all about selfies then the phone is so obviously not for you it doesn't need to be said. If he had said "could not care less" then the rest of the sentence has no point or purpose as it is about marketing to those who do take selfies and care about taking selfies. The selfie phone is not being marketed or designed for those who do not care about selfies or taking them. They are marketing to those that do care about such thing, and the author is questioning if people care enough about them to invest in this phone.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Dr. Pezus

If you could not care less then you most likely don't take selfies in the first place. Therefore the phone would be of absolutely no interest to you.
However, if you could care less then you do take selfies, but not care enough to buy a phone specifically for that purpose.
The latter scenario was the point the author was making in his statement. Logic was used properly in that case.

It doesn't work like that. At that point "could care less" is just a meaningless addition, because it means he cares but his point is that he doesn't care at all (could NOT care less). "Could not care less" is the phrase, and always has been. "Could care less" has been increasing in use but it's not the correct one.

Dr. Pezus

"And if you could care less about that concept, or that word, then Sony has a swing-and-a-miss on its hands as far as the marketing for its new Xperia C3 smartphone goes."

It's obvious he is saying that if you don't care at all about that concept (could not care less), Sony has a swing-and-a miss on its hands.

7H3

Jul 12, 2014, 06:46 PM Last Edit: Jul 12, 2014, 06:48 PM by 7H3
Incorrect sir, if one does not care at all about the topic then it isn't a swing and a miss, but more like pitching a ball. Using "could not care less" would be a logical error as they are not potential customers to begin with at all which is what he is addressing. Not those who do not care at all, but those potential customers that don't care enough to purchase the product.

Dr. Pezus

No, it's not incorrect. It's a phrase that has existed for ages. I don't get your reasoning. He is saying that they don't care at all about the concept of selfies, but they're still potential customers obviously. Saying "could not care less" has nothing to do with whether they are potential customers or not though.

Read this: http://www.englishclub.com/ref/esl/Idioms/C/couldn_t_care_less_427.htm

7H3

Jul 12, 2014, 07:33 PM Last Edit: Jul 12, 2014, 07:35 PM by 7H3
He is saying the potential customers might not care that much, not that they are marketing at those who don't care. Those that could NOT care less are not who he is taking about.
While the popular phrase is in fact "could not care less" that is not who he is talking about in this instance. The popular phrase would not work in this article as he is not talking about Sony trying to market to those with whom are not interested in selfies. He is stating that those who are taking selfies may not be as interested in the product as Sony is hoping. Using the popular phrase would not properly address what he is saying at all.

Dr. Pezus

I refer to my previous post which I feel addresses your point. I don't know what else to say. He is absolutely stating that if you do not belong to the selfie crowd, their marketing campaign will not grab you (swing-and-miss). I don't know how you get that the selfie crowd might not be happy with the product if the product directly targets them...

7H3

I rarely take self photos, but I could see the advantage of the phone. So I could care less about selfies, but I do care. However, a better camera for doing so isn't exactly a key selling point for me as other things are much more important. Thus their marketing won't sway me. It may not sway others who care more than I do about it, and probably not those who care less than I do about it; that is exactly who Sony is marketing to with this new phone. Not those who don't take self photosbecause that would be like trying to sell bbq pork and beef at a vegetarian festival. They are not pitching this product to vegetarians, but to meat eaters. That is what the author of the article laid out logically by altering the popular phrase.

7H3

hmm just asked my wife to read it, and tell me what she thought with out telling her my thoughts first... and she agrees with ... pEzUS!?!?!?! NOOOOO WHYYYY :P
I dunno I just posted to ask him what he meant... To me it would seem pointless for Sony to market after those who don't take selfies or care about them at all, and even more so to point out that such people wouldn't buy the phone

BananaKing

fudge you sony. grammar is more important.

the-pi-guy

grammar is more important.

Agreed. 
Commas save lives. 

Dr. Pezus

You have a good wife, 7H3 :-D

Dr. Pezus

Agreed. 
Commas save lives. 

They probably do in some cases

Go Up