Forza Motor sports 6 announced

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Jan 13, 2015, 02:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

Raven

For nearly a decade, the "Forza Motorsport" franchise has been the premier racing series for Xbox fans all over the world. The first "Forza Motorsport" game launched in 2005 and was immediately one of the must-have games for the Xbox. The same was true of the "Forza" games that launched for the Xbox 360 in the following years, as the series quickly solidified its place in the racing game pantheon.

Naturally, "Forza Motorsport 5" for Xbox One was no exception, as the game was lauded by critics and consumers alike as the best-looking and most realistic racing game of this or any other generation. Perhaps not surprisingly given its lofty status as the Xbox One's first killer app, today Turn 10 Studios announced that "Forza Motorsport 5" has been embraced by Xbox One fans worldwide, with more than one-third of console owners purchasing the game since its November 22 launch. This makes it the best-selling racing game by console attach over the past decade1.

Lack of options and simply being Forza. Its total sales aren't likely to surpass the 360 entries. For some reason Microsoft won't give us any actual numbers. If I'm not mistaken, that quote was from February 2014. Mere months after the console launched.

Max King of the Wild

Everything has been okay for Microsoft but not okay for Sony this gen as far as they're concerned. Just look at Indie titles or digital-only. Ori and the Blind Forest can't get enough praise but mention Rime and it's just an Indie title. Resogun wasn't allowed to be mentioned but have you seen Killer Instinct (prior to becoming retail)? Remasters like The Last of Us are just cash-ins but The Master Chief Collection is a clear thank you to the fans. Games like Forza Horizon 2, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, and Project Spark also being on PC and/or 360 still count as exclusive but don't dare mention Final Fantasy XIV, Guilty Gear Xrd, and LittleBigPlanet 3 or upcoming games like Planetside 2, Persona 5, or Tearaway Unfolded (even though it's not really a port).
you laid it out perfectly. They know that any metric used their preference will be the losing one so they have to put qualifiers in pending what is being talked about. However, the sales numbers, at least i feel, represent how the general public sees which console offers more.

Mmm_fish_tacos

That PR statment was cringe worthy.

Max King of the Wild

Lack of options and simply being Forza. Its total sales aren't likely to surpass the 360 entries. For some reason Microsoft won't give us any actual numbers. If I'm not mistaken, that quote was from February 2014. Mere months after the console launched.
you are correct at the time. I just Google searched Forza sales to back up my claim the series was never that big. I found an article stating the first three iterations sold 10m but no source. Also, unsurprisingly, Forza 5 very clearly overtracked on vgc. That quote is from Feb 18 and vgc has 950k 5 weeks earlier selling 3x,xxx that week.

Raven

you are correct at the time. I just Google searched Forza sales to back up my claim the series was never that big. I found an article stating the first three iterations sold 10m but no source. Also, unsurprisingly, Forza 5 very clearly overtracked on vgc. That quote is from Feb 18 and vgc has 950k 5 weeks earlier selling 3x,xxx that week.

VGC should never be trusted with game sales. VGC shows Halo 3 at 12 million sold but Microsoft released a statement two or three years ago that Halo 3 had sold 14.5 million. If you want to be taken seriously as a site that tracks sales you can't make that kind of an oversight on one of the biggest franchises in history. It really begs the question of how far VGC is off on other titles.

Mmm_fish_tacos

This announcement is getting a lot of hate around the Web. Forza has over done it and it's showing. A 4 year game cycle is okay for racing Sims as long as they are supported well with dlc.

Max King of the Wild

VGC should never be trusted with game sales. VGC shows Halo 3 at 12 million sold but Microsoft released a statement two or three years ago that Halo 3 had sold 14.5 million. If you want to be taken seriously as a site that tracks sales you can't make that kind of an oversight on one of the biggest franchises in history. It really begs the question of how far VGC is off on other titles.
as someone who has been there since early 2007.... Trust me when I say, I know. I never took software sales seriously and only paid attention to hardware sales after financial reports.

Max King of the Wild

This announcement is getting a lot of hate around the Web. Forza has over done it and it's showing. A 4 year game cycle is okay for racing Sims as long as they are supported well with dlc.
you want to put Forza into perspective? Forza 7 and Forza Horizon 3 will be out before Gran Turismo 7

Raven

A lot more mixed reactions right off the bat compared to the Forza 5 announcement. At least among the general community. It doesn't even matter if Motorsport and Horizon are different kinds of racers it's still beginning to feel like over-saturation. A simulation racer going only two years between titles with a spin-off between them. Forza has become the Call of Duty of racing games without the wild sales.

ethomaz

It is not a bad game... don't take me wrong... it is really a good sim racing with some flaws but some strong points too.

The issue I see is that it don't have sales enough to pay for a two years releases... Forza 5 sold like shame and the Forza 6 will be the same... most of it sales are free bundles or deals.

MS could use Forza 5 and give more DLC content for old users and launch a Forza 5 All DLC for $40 for new owners.

Dr. Pezus

doesn't sony get shame on by Ms fans for stuff similar to that? (aka cgi trailers)
Problem is that this isn't even footage from or of the game lol, CGI or not. It's just from the car announcement video from Ford

Dr. Pezus

"This makes it the best-selling racing game by console attach over the past decade" lol wat. This is yet another new way to spin for MS PR lol. I wonder what number they are using for XB1 sales. 8m?

Dr. Pezus

Oh really? That would make sense, but would also make this statement very false right now.

Raven

Oh really? That would make sense, but would also make this statement very false right now.

It's Microsoft's PR. You really can't expect much out of them with Major Nelson around.

the-pi-guy

"This makes it the best-selling racing game by console attach over the past decade" lol wat. This is yet another new way to spin for MS PR lol. I wonder what number they are using for XB1 sales. 8m?

Mario Kart Wii is sitting at 35%. 

Go Up