previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

okay, but the original is ten years old

It's still a lot to run. 
All the other Halo's are in 1080p. 

darkknightkryta

It's still a lot to run. 
All the other Halo's are in 1080p. 

If the original is a raw port, then it's not really.  The entire game was designed to run on 32 megs of total ram.  I'm sure they could have taken that into consideration and have 32 less megs of ram for the remake.  Though as I was mentioning to you before, the Xbox One wasn't designed for 1080p.  It's shader units probably aren't enough to perform operations on that many pixels.  At least that's my hunch at most Xbox One games running at a significantly lower resolution.  The esram can't be the full story.

the-pi-guy

If the original is a raw port, then it's not really.  The entire game was designed to run on 32 megs of total ram.  I'm sure they could have taken that into consideration and have 32 less megs of ram for the remake.  Though as I was mentioning to you before, the Xbox One wasn't designed for 1080p.  It's shader units probably aren't enough to perform operations on that many pixels.  At least that's my hunch at most Xbox One games running at a significantly lower resolution.  The esram can't be the full story.

I'm presuming that it's not a raw port and that the original graphics are also running at 1328x1080.
Original Halo 2 running at 1328x1080 + Remastered Halo running at 1328x1080, it seems to me that'd be quite a bit of stuff.  Then on top of that, they'd have to have room so that it usually runs at about 60 fps on both of these. 

Riderz1337

Oct 08, 2014, 04:04 AM Last Edit: Oct 08, 2014, 04:24 AM by Riderz1337
I'm more interested in seeing what improvements they made to Halo 4.

Seems like it's much easier to impress people with the improvements of older games because let's be honest, by today's standards they didn't look that great.

I think we'll get some footage from IGN this month. They're doing that IGN first thing.
Legend made me remove this. Everybody riot.

darkknightkryta

Oct 08, 2014, 04:16 AM Last Edit: Oct 08, 2014, 04:23 AM by darkknightkryta

I'm presuming that it's not a raw port and that the original graphics are also running at 1328x1080.
Original Halo 2 running at 1328x1080 + Remastered Halo running at 1328x1080, it seems to me that'd be quite a bit of stuff.  Then on top of that, they'd have to have room so that it usually runs at about 60 fps on both of these. 

That's a marginal increase to the framebuffer to have Halo 2 running at 1328x1080p. Plus both games aren't being drawn at the same time, the entire framebuffer is saved in the ram (Which goes back to allocating 32 megs plus the framebuffer increase).  That means you're not wasting GPU cycles on drawing both games.  When you switch, you switch you resources only and the graphics change at the refresh.
Edit: I'm wrong at the bold, the framebuffer is being allocated for both games assets are just being changed.

Legend

Halo 2 is full 1080p in "classic" mode.

darkknightkryta

Halo 2 is full 1080p in "classic" mode.

Which further supports my theory about the shader and ROP units in the Xbox One not being enough to support 1080p for "next gen" technologies.  P.S. read a comparison of GPUs and the guy who wrote the article put the esram at reading/writing at a full 204GB/s... FAIL

BasilZero

The original version is 1080p but the Anniversary edition is less than 900p because it runs 2 engines? Sounds like Nintendo reasoning 3DS price cut, New 3DS existence, and the lack of some features for Smash bros 3DS l0l.

Legend

The original version is 1080p but the Anniversary edition is less than 900p because it runs 2 engines? Sounds like Nintendo reasoning 3DS price cut, New 3DS existence, and the lack of some features for Smash bros 3DS l0l.

Haha yeah it sounds like bs, but Halo 3 and 4 are full 1080p at 60 fps too (if memory serves me correct). Unless Halo 2 looks better than Halo 3 or 4, I don't see a reason to doubt their excuse.

Dr. Pezus

Haha yeah it sounds like bs, but Halo 3 and 4 are full 1080p at 60 fps too (if memory serves me correct). Unless Halo 2 looks better than Halo 3 or 4, I don't see a reason to doubt their excuse.

But you can switch between them instantaneously. Would that be possible if the res isn't the same?

darkknightkryta

But you can switch between them instantaneously. Would that be possible if the res isn't the same?

Yeah, people seem to not realize graphics work on an update/draw mechanic.  The update happens, then the game is drawn at whatever resolution.  They're probably upscaling to 1080p as to not screw up your TV.

the-pi-guy

while(VizionEck==cool){
Input();  (Button = Other/First)
Update(); if other -> first; if first -> other
Render(); (Other = 1328x1080)(First = 1920x1080)
}

the-pi-guy

Xbox upscales all games to 1080p anyway. 

darkknightkryta

while(VizionEck==cool){
Input();  (Button = Other/First)
Update(); if other -> first; if first -> other
Render(); (Other = 1328x1080)(First = 1920x1080)
}

That's the way.

NeverDies

I wonder if the Scarab Gun easter egg weapon will still bomb the framerate on the high quality version. Cause on the original, it was like 2 fps.
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br /><br />
<br />
<br />
<br />

Go Up