Recent Posts

Pages 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Off-Topic Community / Re: The YouTube |OT| Place for...
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 05:52 PM

Gaming Community / Re: How are you feeling about ...
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 05:12 PM
It's a void I desperately would like to fill or help fill.
Yup that's what I'm doing with Hapax. It's a massive open world but unlike these AAA slogfests, there's nothing to do in it! Game is 10 hours long because that's how long it takes to run to the ship's exit  8)
Gaming Community / Re: Zelda Tears of the Kingdom...
Last post by Legend - Yesterday at 04:57 PM
Well lets not get crazy Pi ::)

At least with totk it seems a lot of people agree it was meh. No wonder it has had poor legs compared to the first.
Last post by nnodley - Yesterday at 03:49 PM
People on Era were giving Banishers as an example of AA.

I feel like this is a big part of my issue. I feel like a lot of AA games are just less polished AAA games. A lot of them aren't pushing an Uncharted 2 in 2024.

There's so many older experiences like Batman AA, Skyrim, Uncharted that were made by smaller teams by today's standards that are still well regarded. Some of them are being played by more people than the newer games. Starfield is being outplayed by Skyrim.

Why does it feel like there aren't many AA studios trying to make games like those?
Yeah its most likely AA in terms of budget, but it tried to feel like a AAA game with how many of those type of games are built now with the focus on content, content, content.

That space of games being similar to the uncharted's, GoW original trilogy, etc. is a void that is just ripe for the taking.  Its obvious those types of games are still very viable to do esepecially if you price them decent compared to new AAA games.  It's a void I desperately would like to fill or help fill.
Gaming Community / Re: Zelda Tears of the Kingdom...
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 03:40 PM
Now we can get you to play some Souls games.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 03:18 PM
I don't know if I would consider Banishers a AAA game, but it felt like it got trapped in the need to have more open worlds and a lot of unnecessary content. It made it a real slog to get through. Even though you could just run through the story a lot of the side stuff felt necessary to get the full experience.
People on Era were giving Banishers as an example of AA.

I feel like this is a big part of my issue. I feel like a lot of AA games are just less polished AAA games. A lot of them aren't pushing an Uncharted 2 in 2024.

There's so many older experiences like Batman AA, Skyrim, Uncharted that were made by smaller teams by today's standards that are still well regarded. Some of them are being played by more people than the newer games. Starfield is being outplayed by Skyrim.

Why does it feel like there aren't many AA studios trying to make games like those?
Gaming Community / Re: Starfield OT Gone Gold
Last post by nnodley - Yesterday at 02:14 PM
i do kinda want to try and get back into this, but i also still feel like I should just give it 6 months and a ps5 version might be announced.
Last post by nnodley - Yesterday at 02:09 PM
Yeah i'm getting very sick of the AAA space thinking that games need to be these monstrosities with 100 hours of content.  And that in itself is lowering  the quality bar because everyone is trying to do the same old open world crud. Give me $50 - $60 singleplayer games that are fairly linear with minimal to no side content and that would be awesome.

I think ND struck a good balance with TLOU part 2 with giving a bit more freedom, but the entire story still bing a very strict linear story.

I don't know if I would consider Banishers a AAA game, but it felt like it got trapped in the need to have more open worlds and a lot of unnecessary content. It made it a real slog to get through. Even though you could just run through the story a lot of the side stuff felt necessary to get the full experience.
Last post by kitler53 - Yesterday at 04:41 AM
I recently finished tinykin and thought,.. I miss this.  
Last post by the-pi-guy - Yesterday at 01:37 AM
I've written some pretty big posts about it at this point.

I'm excited for whatever the next Naughty Dog, Guerilla Games, Santa Monica, Team Asobi, Bluepoint, From Software, Bethesda, World's Edge games.
I'm interested to see what the next 343, Coalition, Sucker Punch, etc games will be like.
I might not love the next Horizon, but I'm sure it'll be good. I might not have a lot of faith in it being great, but I'm sure it'll be good at least.

But I'm very concerned about the direction that things are heading in.
There's so many practices in the industry that just can't be sustainable long term.

And I think very frustratingly, is that these processes frequently make worse games. Some games frequently feel bloated, and feel like they would have been more enjoyable if they were a little shorter.
Pages 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10