General Discussion Thread

Started by Dr. Pezus, May 16, 2014, 06:00 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Xevross

No Eurovision fans here lol?

@Xevross
Oh hi there. I'm looking forward to all the sympathy votes. SuRie held it like a champ.

Moldova and Israel are my faves, so Eurovision. Finland/ Sweden probs my favourite proper songs.

Dr. Pezus

Oh hi there. I'm looking forward to all the sympathy votes. SuRie held it like a champ.

Moldova and Israel are my faves, so Eurovision. Finland/ Sweden probs my favourite proper songs.
Sweden, Israel, Bulgaria, Czech top 4!

Xevross

Dr. Pezus

May 12, 2018, 10:19 PM Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 10:40 PM by Dr. Pezus
Austriaaaa and Sweden!

Wtf Sweden

Just 21 pts from the public?

While Denmark got something like 150 lol

Xevross

Austriaaaa and Sweden!

Wtf Sweden

Just 21 pts from the public?

While Denmark got something like 150 lol
Yeah Sweden getting only 21 was a big shock. I'm happy with our audience score but not with the Jury, oh well. Denmark was robbed by the jury, they were one of my favourites.

Israel winning I'm happy with, good to have a proper Eurovision song win for once.

Dr. Pezus

Yeah Sweden getting only 21 was a big shock. I'm happy with our audience score but not with the Jury, oh well. Denmark was robbed by the jury, they were one of my favourites.

Israel winning I'm happy with, good to have a proper Eurovision song win for once.
I've no idea what people liked about Denmark. We gave them 12 (the audience), while we gave Sweden only 2 pts

Xevross

I've no idea what people liked about Denmark. We gave them 12 (the audience), while we gave Sweden only 2 pts
Its a great Eurovision-ish song. Sweden is just a decent song. You're people have much better taste than ours, for some reason we gave Lithuania 12 points ?!??? That's incredibly shocking, I don't know anyone that even liked it that much. Maybe I live in a bubble.

Its weird though, normally we like Ireland, Eurovisiony songs and good pop songs. UK audience vote was:

12 - Lithuania - doesn't fit at all. I don't understand.
10 - Ireland - this is Ireland. Also added bonus of the gay dancers this year, with a big majority of our voters being gay men.
8 - Cyprus - great pop song, makes sense
7 - Israel - really Eurovisiony, and just awesome all round, makes sense
6 - Bulgaria - one of my favourite singles although I don't think its that great live, still makes sense
5 - Czech Republic - good pop song, was always going to be popular in the UK
4 - Moldova - should be higher, this is Eurovision in a nutshell. I loved it.
3 - Germany - we love Ed Sheeran so discount Ed Sheeran is good too
2 - Denmark - awesome song and we like Danish stuff
1 - Australia - good pop song, and hello fellow English speakers <3

Anyway, two biggest shocks in the result for me were Finland being so low and Italy being so high.

Plus how awesome is the new voting system, it was super tense and exciting right until the end even though Israel won by 100 points. In the old system it would have been obvious Israel were winning and it would have been nowhere near as fun.

Dr. Pezus

Its a great Eurovision-ish song. Sweden is just a decent song. You're people have much better taste than ours, for some reason we gave Lithuania 12 points ?!??? That's incredibly shocking, I don't know anyone that even liked it that much. Maybe I live in a bubble.

Its weird though, normally we like Ireland, Eurovisiony songs and good pop songs. UK audience vote was:

12 - Lithuania - doesn't fit at all. I don't understand.
10 - Ireland - this is Ireland. Also added bonus of the gay dancers this year, with a big majority of our voters being gay men.
8 - Cyprus - great pop song, makes sense
7 - Israel - really Eurovisiony, and just awesome all round, makes sense
6 - Bulgaria - one of my favourite singles although I don't think its that great live, still makes sense
5 - Czech Republic - good pop song, was always going to be popular in the UK
4 - Moldova - should be higher, this is Eurovision in a nutshell. I loved it.
3 - Germany - we love Ed Sheeran so discount Ed Sheeran is good too
2 - Denmark - awesome song and we like Danish stuff
1 - Australia - good pop song, and hello fellow English speakers <3

Anyway, two biggest shocks in the result for me were Finland being so low and Italy being so high.

Plus how awesome is the new voting system, it was super tense and exciting right until the end even though Israel won by 100 points. In the old system it would have been obvious Israel were winning and it would have been nowhere near as fun.

Did they change the voting this year?

Thought it was the same last year

Xevross

My personal top 10:

1. Moldova - I don't like the song that much but it was just so much fun. Its for songs like this I watch Eurovision, it would be boring if it was just good pop songs
2. Israel - same as above but I don't like it quite as much
3. Cyprus - my favourite of the proper pop songs entered, great beat. Can see it being a hit in the UK and being played in clubs.
4. Czech Republic - good fun and also a good song.
5. Bulgaria - I love the single, its in my spotify (along with the two above) its just a shame it doesn't sound as good live
6. Finland - I like this song a lot. Its similar to Cyprus but only falls short in a few areas. Again, I'm shocked its so low.
7. Austria - this is a great song. Simply put. I can see myself getting bored of it with multiple listens though
8. Sweden - I like it but it is a bit annoying, it repeats a bit too much. Needs more verses.
9. Denmark - I like listening to it. Also the singers are awesome. Just a great Vikingy song.
10. Estonia - I don't really like this kind of music but her voice is absolutely phenomenal. Mesmerising. Bonus points for the dress as well.

Honourable mentions - Australia (good song, but nothing special) and Norway (Eurovisiony but just not very good)

The rest I like but just not enough, except for Serbia (I was shocked it qualified, I don't like it) and Portugal (thank fudge this came last, still shocked they won last year).

Did they change the voting this year?

Thought it was the same last year
No but its still new. And this was the best its performed, it was suspenseful until the second to last call, that's almost as good as it gets.

Dr. Pezus

My top 5 would be, in no order:
Sweden, Bulgaria, Israel, Austria, Czech Republic. Honorable mention: Moldova

Didn't like Cyprus much. Pretty forgettable, I barely remember it even now lol

Xevross

Just watched the OnePlus 6 launch event. Its funny, they pride themselves in being a company who listens to fans, so when they announced bluetooth headphones first I was like oh, here we go. But then he says, if you have bluetooth headphones you don't need a headphone jack, right? Bit of a tease. Later he smiles as he says that of course the OnePlus 6 still has a headphone jack. Nice.

I might be getting it. Starts from £469/ $529 for what seems like best android specs yet and a really nice looking phone.

Those headphones sound really neat too. Great sound quality and an interesting magnetic design, with built in google assisstant, costs £69/ $69.

Xevross

If you look up the definition of torture in the dictionary you'll find it says Solid State Physics.

I can't fudgy stand this topic. I think I'm just going to give up on it and do the bare minimum to get an okay score. The exam is only worth 7% of the year, its the lowest out of all the 6 exams I have to revise for (which is a god-send, if it was worth the most I'd probably off myself).

the-pi-guy

If you look up the definition of torture in the dictionary you'll find it says Solid State Physics.

I can't fudgy stand this topic. I think I'm just going to give up on it and do the bare minimum to get an okay score. The exam is only worth 7% of the year, its the lowest out of all the 6 exams I have to revise for (which is a god-send, if it was worth the most I'd probably off myself).
It's okay.  That's what happened to me with QM.  
Well kind of, I still did pretty good.

Xevross

It's okay.  That's what happened to me with QM.  
Well kind of, I still did pretty good.
Yeah, I'm going to be relying more on QM now though :P

My exams are:

Thermodynamics and Statistical Physics 10% of year (already done)

Year 2 Maths (Fourier Analysis, Differential Equations, Statistics of Measurement) 12.75% of the year
Maths Methods (Calculus of variation, tensors, complex and complex fourier analysis) 10%
Solid State Physics - 7%
Quantum Mechanics - 8.5%
Atomic, Nuclear and Particle Physics - 8.5%
Electro-magnetism & Optics - 12.75%

I need an average score of about 45% on these to stay on my 4 year course (due to being over 70% with everything so far), so I'm not worried about that but I'd like to try and keep my average over 70% for the year.

Xevross

Ireland has voted yes in their referendum on abortion, finally legalising it. Fantastic news. Its good to see Western countries still progressing while America travels backwards at 100mph on issues like this.

Go Up