Horizon Zero Dawn

Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 02, 2017, 04:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Xevross

They had a spoiler free thread this morning.  
Except now the link goes to an empty thread.  
Probably because no one posted any impressions.  Just several pages of "where are the impressions".
Yep I was following the thread and I think it got to 300 posts with no impressions yet so it merged back into the preview thread. That was just before a few people started posting impressions  ;D

Xevross

I'm all aboard the hype train now!

the-pi-guy

I'm all aboard the hype train now!
Did you hear something new?  

Spoiler free!

Xevross

Did you hear something new? 

Spoiler free!
Well I was referencing my avatar and sig change but...

I heard that cauldrons are excellent and very challenging. It sounds like the story and the voice acting are very good, at least in the early game. There's barely any negative comments coming from people who are playing it.

Oh and a couple of people who are playing it have said it feels like Red Dead Redemption 

the-pi-guy

Well I was referencing my avatar and sig change but...

I heard that cauldrons are excellent and very challenging. It sounds like the story and the voice acting are very good, at least in the early game. There's barely any negative comments coming from people who are playing it.

Oh and a couple of people who are playing it have said it feels like Red Dead Redemption 
Noice.
I have been ready for a while.
My avatar also has the perfect attitude.

the-pi-guy

Awesome impressions!  

GribbleGrunger

Here's the spoiler free thread for anyone interested:

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time) - NeoGAF

Spoiler thread is over here
Originally Posted by The Lamp

The early part of this game kinda feels like a fully realized vision of the small section of TLOU where you play as Ellie hunting the deer and exploring a beautiful natural world. I'm loving it. Except you're more agile, equipped, and you have a lot you can do in the world. The game reminds me a lot of Red Dead Redemption right now.

Ubi games don't hold my attention long. Not since AC2. I was worried the same would happen here. This game has my attention. It's got collectible resources and enemies strewn throughout the environment, but it doesn't feel bloated with pointless collectibles and objectives (so far). The main story is engaging enough to keep me wanting to know more. The main objectives anchor the open world. The interactions with the environment have a practical purpose just like in TLOU and RDR. You need to confront enemies and harvest resources to get better gear, weapons, and items, which are extremely beneficial to defeating more advanced foes.

I honestly expected the story would be a phoned-in endeavor, a serviceable plot that takes itself way more seriously than can be believed to spin the action of the game into motion. But the voice acting and script and narrative are all actually quite well done. I have empathy for Aloy's situation. The controls are great. The HUD is a little crowded (and very useful) but you can COMPLETELY customize it so that is awesome. I love this world. It's well thought out and the graphics are Uncharted 4 caliber in nearly everything except the facial animations.

Originally Posted by MiamiWesker

Wow this one sets a great impression right from the start. It's beautiful, it controls great, the story is interesting right from the get go. It has all the polish you would expect from a naughty dog game, I am shocked I care about the characters and world so much already. I'm going to talk about some gameplay systems from the first few hours. I finally got loose  in the first part of the world and there are a bunch of plants to get which can serve as healing items or stuff to make potions. Basically crafting seems very in depth, and if you ever need a resource you can create a custom side mission and the game will direct you to where you can find it. Really neat and it helped guide me to robots to get shards to make arrows, which I quickly ran out when I tried to take on a semi big robot. So weapon parts and mods you find on robots, healing stuff you find in plants. You don't have to get overwhelmed by it, there seems to be enough to get what you need quick and move on. I got a few side quests, there are random quests to find as you roam around, standard open world stuff. Haven't really completed one yet I have been distracted by just hunting which I love. The robots feel like animals in packs, there is this natural feel to it all how they react and interact with each other. Sneaking by them is thrilling, getting caught creates all sorts of chaos as you either escape or engage. I have fought three types so far, one is a more difficult one with a surprising attack. I managed to kill one only to have another come from behind and totally wreck me. I have had to run away before I can get resources for a kill only to see another  robot go to the dead body and gather the resources for itself. So it's all really cool and dynamic. Combat is nice and fluid and feels kind of like new TR. you can unlock specific skills that slow down time, get stealth kills, gather more resources; standard skill tree stuff but a lot of these skills seem super useful.  Your melee attacks work great when being charged, dodging is fast and fluid. I still don't have traps, should get there soon. I am playing on very hard so I am being cautious, so I focused more on stealth and it seems a bit too easy. All three of the types I have met so far can be insta killed by stealth which is as easy as hiding in a patch of tall grass, throwing a rock to lure them close then just stealth kill them. I assume that strategy won't be viable for long, but it has helped me to stock up on arrows. If you want better resources you need to shoot components off the robots so there is a little strategy there.  Graphically it's gorgeous on a normal ps4. I don't see any performance issues at all, no slow down, nothing. The music so far is really great and dynamic as it nuggets from quiet to action quickly. The animations are ok but not uncharted tier but the art design of the world is as good as anything I have seen. Ok going to play more hopefully I can have some more impressions on how good the content the game offers is as so far I have just been messing around on my own.

Originally Posted by Glassboy

I got my copy today and have sunk a couple hours into the game. Here are some early impressions. Also, I'm playing on hard mode and on a PS4 pro.  -The intro is well done and has me curious about why Aloy is an outcast and why the world came to the state that it's currently in.   -Her model is insanely beautiful, but you can definitely tell that more effort goes into to certain characters. It's completely understandable because of how many characters are probably in the game -The facial animations are not naughty dog level, but I don't believe any other game really comes close. It's looks good enough and the voice acting is better than expected.  -The graphic are incredible. It's like uncharted 4 level graphics but on a bigger scale. The lighting is beautiful and natural feeling and the pop in is almost completely unnoticeable even with the amount of insane looking foliage.  -Combat is really fun. Enemies hit really hard and can take out half your life in one hit. The first trap gun you get is really satisfying and fun to use. So far combat is my favorite part of the game.  -the music is subtle but very beautiful. Overall very impressed with audio/visual elements.  I will update more later tomorrow when I get a chance rot okay more. I can also answer any question people might have.

Xevross

These impressions are way too positive.

Must resist getting too hyped!

Kerotan

Reviews coming 8 days before release.  Sony are confident.  Good news!

Xevross

Reviews coming 8 days before release.  Sony are confident.  Good news!
Only 4 days to reviews now! I have everything crossed for a high score!

the-pi-guy

Only 4 days to reviews now! I have everything crossed for a high score!
Everything?  :O
That feels like TMI.  

GribbleGrunger

Xevross

Everything?  :O
That feels like TMI.  
Everything.

Some great impressions from The Lamp on gaf here:

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

I just woke up. Time to play more.
 This game so far is really a mix of borrowed "feel" and mechanics from other games, but polished them pretty well I'd say. At 20% or 6 hours in, to kind of summarize my feelings, I would best describe it like this (I'm making mechanics comparisons, take it with a grain of salt as I'm just one person but I think I'm being pretty fair here):
 The hunting and foraging feels like a mix between the elements in TLOU and the Tomb Raider Reboots. The natural open world populated with wildlife, NPCs with problems, and towns naturally integrated into the map feel kind of like RDR. Also, whoever asked earlier, you can ride a "horse" (you can take control of beasts on the map and ride them)
 The platforming/exploration mechanics (how the character feels as they clamber around the rocky environment) feels like a mix between The Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor with a touch of Uncharted (there's some ledge plarforming that surprised me that is obviously ND-inspired).
 The bow combat kinda feels like a polished mix between Tomb Raider reboots and TLOU. The hand to hand combat is not too deep but it's satisfying and polished, with the spear that feels kind of like using the tuning fork from inFamous 2, but you have "heavy" and "light" attacks with R1 and R2.
 The crafting systems remind me of the Tomb Raider reboots. The ability upgrades remind me of many games that have those features, like Tomb Raider reboots, inFamous, Kingdom Hearts, etc (but it's not as flashy or varied as the last two).
 The fights against tougher machines are thrilling and feel a lot like when you battle tough enemies in inFamous 2. Lots of dodging and sliding out of enemy fire, then zooming in to fire shots at weak spots. You feel like two powerful entities battling. This is my favorite part of the game.
 There's merchant-style trading like any open world RPG that lets you get new items and weapons and upgrades.
 The story could shame the bed later but right now it is opening up to be way more interesting and "oh shame" than I personally expected. I haven't seen an open world action RPG story and lore engross me in unexpected ways at a magnitude like this since Assassin's Creed 1.
 The open world RPG style feels condensed and tightly driven around the narrative. Kinda like The Witcher 3 but with even more "fat" trimmed to keep the game's narrative in the spotlight. There's other stuff to do. I had fun just toying around in the open world last night. But the urgency is there to play the main story.
 I'll try to refrain from more impressions until I'm much further into the game, like later this afternoon. I'll be able to say if the game maintains its consistency

Another guy who's played about 5 hours said they completely agree with this.

nnodley

With all these really positive impressions I'm definitely confident this game will get a 90+ meta.

Xevross

Feb 16, 2017, 07:41 PM Last Edit: Feb 16, 2017, 07:46 PM by Xevross
With all these really positive impressions I'm definitely confident this game will get a 90+ meta.
I'm not. The story could drop massively in quality towards the second half of the game (a la FFXV) or the combat could start feeling repetitive, the side quests could get repetitive or the quality of voice acting and dialogue could drop off etc.

Past games have taught me that you can't judge a game until you've finished it. I already gave FFXV as an example, I was loving that game in the open world section and was thinking it was probably a high 8 or 9/10 and then it dramatically fell apart and became more of a 6 or 7/10. I had a smiliar feeling for Far Cry Primal too, in the first ~10 hours of the game I was loving it and saying on here that I have no idea why it scored so low... and then I got super bored and never got round to finishing it in the end.

I'm quite confident it will be 85+ now and certainly 80+, but whether it will be 90+ I just don't know right now. I'm not willing to fall into super hype mode and be confident it will score amazingly quite yet.

Go Up