Samsung Announces Gear VR

Started by ethomaz, Sep 03, 2014, 02:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

kitler53

Transparent VR is so much better than AR.

meaning what exactly?   put a camera on the front of the VR device?

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

kitler53

Why do you think that?

because i'd wouldn't even be willing to be seen in the privacy of my own home wearing a VR device.  my wife will face punch me.

the-pi-guy

because i'd wouldn't even be willing to be seen in the privacy of my own home wearing a VR device.  my wife will face punch me.

And steal it for herself. 
You're right, bad idea. 
She'd be so jealous. 

Legend

meaning what exactly?   put a camera on the front of the VR device?

AR is all about augmented reality. With google glass or anything like that you're just overlaying simple images on glass in front of your eye/eyes.

With VR, you're trying to trick your brain into thinking what it's seeing is real.

The two techs will most likely merge in the future, but right now VR is much closer to offering seamless 3D graphics integrated into the world.

Transparent VR usually users the pepper's ghost illusion. The VR screen is above the eyes, and then a half silvered mirror reflects it correctly.

If you care about being seen in public, then yeah go with AR hahaha.

kitler53

And steal it for herself. 
You're right, bad idea. 
She'd be so jealous. 

lulz,. no.   she already makes fun of me for gaming at all.  i'd never hear the end of it if i were wearing a VR device.

the-pi-guy

lulz,. no.   she already makes fun of me for gaming at all.  i'd never hear the end of it if i were wearing a VR device.

You should try to get her to try VR. 

Legend

At least PM looks good!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7078/13254503705_8e867e1ae0_z.jpg

kitler53

AR is all about augmented reality. With google glass or anything like that you're just overlaying simple images on glass in front of your eye/eyes.

With VR, you're trying to trick your brain into thinking what it's seeing is real.

The two techs will most likely merge in the future, but right now VR is much closer to offering seamless 3D graphics integrated into the world.

Transparent VR usually users the pepper's ghost illusion. The VR screen is above the eyes, and then a half silvered mirror reflects it correctly.

If you care about being seen in public, then yeah go with AR hahaha.

meh.   still sounds lame.   i think AR has at least some gameplay potential.   i don't see it with VR.  VR is to games as IMAX is to movies and i already hate IMAX. 

the-pi-guy

At least PM looks good!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7078/13254503705_8e867e1ae0_z.jpg

I was thinking the same.  It really looks amazing. 

Legend

meh.   still sounds lame.   i think AR has at least some gameplay potential.   i don't see it with VR.  VR is to games as IMAX is to movies and i already hate IMAX. 

VR is to games as life is to movies.

Once you've tried good VR, you'll understand the magic.

kitler53

VR is to games as life is to movies.

Once you've tried good VR, you'll understand the magic.

VR is to games as the 2D to 3D transition is to games,...   lot's of people will be turned off and quit gaming rather than play if it is pushed as standard.

i know so many girls that quit gaming right after the snes...

Legend

VR is to games as the 2D to 3D transition is to games,...   lot's of people will be turned off and quit gaming rather than play if it is pushed as standard.

i know so many girls that quit gaming right after the snes...

VR is a much much bigger shift than 2D to 3D.

kitler53

how do i save a post?   i want to necro this when OR and PM flop..

Legend

how do i save a post?   i want to necro this when OR and PM flop..

hmmm

that'd be a nice feature.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Do you think it's that big of a leap? I'm a supporter but I've yet to try it my self. I think many people get the feeling that's it's just having a TV really close to your face. And not stepping into another world. 

Go Up