God of War |OT| Now on PC

Started by Xevross, Apr 11, 2018, 05:21 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

?
"During Awards Season People Will Realize God of War is not a 10" (by some people on the internet) | ResetEra

Si I've read this (some person said that it's the best 8.5/10 of your life) and got me wondering: Regardless of what I think about the game, right now it seems like the press have made up their mind (and heart) and even if they think the game is... I don't know, a 6/10, it looks like everything before it is less than that so, it doesn't have to be a 10 by the end of the year everything else would be lesser. Now, projecting into the future, it's expected that Red Dead Redemption 2 will get major attention but other than that what else could compete? Spider-Man? Smash Bross? It's undenniable that God of War will be in the conversation whether people think it deserves it or not and it'd be weird if the press would backpedal on their claims so much. An example used to back up this claim was Uncharted 4, stating that it got a lot of 10s and by award season got brought down because "people" changed their opinion but that game still got a lot of goty's so... Do you feel that press is on a famous honeymoon phase and got carried away? Personally I think they were to vocal to turn around. (I'm not saying nothing can top it, juts that it'd be weird is they suddenly say "you know, actually it wasn't that good). Bring ragnarok upon me if I'm not making any sense.  

Dr. Pezus

Oh, its not awards season yet though so why would this change the meta? :P
It's a joke, son!

A meta joke about meta

Xevross

the-pi-guy

There's very few people I am not able to talk to in the Sony first party family, and get inspired by their actual process and detail. And that's the kind of thing we sort of lost as we became owned by corporations-as developers, we don't get to share as much, everything is proprietary and involving secrets. GDC is no longer the thing where everyone is like "hey, let me show you that code, that shows you exactly how I solved this rendering issue problem"

We're starting to see a little bit more of that, but within Sony, we have these things called Creative Share Weeks, with several developers, where we send our developers to their studios for a week, and they send theirs to ours for a week. And they get a desk, they're working on the game. And then at the end of the week, they give us a sort report card of, "hey, we solve problems like this, you solve them like this. Hey, your way is better" or "our way is better, and let me show you why". And that kind of sharing is born is amazing, that is something that is truly born out of this creative thing. We are better because we share."

The thing with The Last of Us, is, for me, I think a lot of people mean it as a dig, which I've never really understood," he said. "Like, "oh, you're just doing your own Last of Us", so, o-Kay. One, I am incredibly inspired by Neil and his team, they are absolutely otherworldly with their abilities and how talented they are and how much they bring to and elevate the medium. And I think to me, I would love to be considered as somebody alongside, or even within the proximity of someone who helped elevate the work that we do. Help make people see the work we do in a different light. So I will never ever be bothered by the fact that we are being compared to The Last of Us, because I think it's truly a watershed moment in our industry. So to be considered in the same vein as that is fantastic. But I think it shortsells any idea when you say there's a similar part to something else, like "aw man, The Avengers is ripping off Batman. You've got people running around in outfits". Of course, there are outfitted people and there's superhero stuff, but it's not just ripping off Batman."
To Be Compared to The Last of Us is Fantastic: God of War Director | IndianNoob

Kerotan

Oh, its not awards season yet though so why would this change the meta? :P
It's not a 10...its a 94 and awards season will reflect that!

SWORDF1SH

Just got another 10 out of 10 from Jeuxvideo.com. Stays at 72nd on the the all-time though.

Xevross

Just got another 10 out of 10 from Jeuxvideo.com. Stays at 72nd on the the all-time though.
:o

I remember when I was constantly on the lookout for every new review. Man, that month and a half flew by.

SWORDF1SH

the-pi-guy

the-pi-guy

God Of War Devs Talk PC Release, Mod Support, And Playing With Keyboards - Game Informer

Let's cut to the chase. Why do you think people should check God of War out now that it's on PC?
Cory Barlog: Because it's a giant smokescreen to sell you on the fact that Silent Hills is secretly inside the game? Totally kidding. Honestly, I think for us, it's really exciting that there's a new potential audience of people who haven't played the game who get to experience it and show it off on their beefy machine. I don't have a 3090 [GeForce graphics card], but I'm sure they all have a 3090. But also, even if you have experienced it, I've played the game a few times, but playing it on my ultra-wide is a pretty awesome experience.
How much insight do you guys have into how Sony decided that the PC was a market they wanted to push this on to? Was that something you were championing early on?
Barlog: I think it was the collective of studios all over saying this is a really good idea. We should be looking into this. Eventually, I think it reached that tipping point. When we had sent so many suggestion box suggestions that they were like, "I'm tired of hearing all this. Fine, we'll do this." It's a process. We're still figuring it out as a company and as individual studios how to do this and what the process and strategy will be.
So, do you think that we might see Ragnarok on PC sooner than four years after its console release?
Barlog: I have no idea. Right now, we're taking it one game at a time, kind of looking at each one and determining, "Okay, is this the best thing?" And we'll gauge how it does. Do people enjoy it? Did we do it right? Is there anything we did wrong? What can we do better in the future if we do this again? But at the end of the day, ultimately, it's Sony's decision.
How much did you think about mouse and keyboard controls for God of War?
DeWald: Quite a bit, because right away we knew that, coming on a PC, we're gonna have to focus on that. We're gonna have to figure out what that looks like. One was building a customizable interface that you can change all the keys. That's not something that existed on the console. There's a lot of work just doing that. But then figuring out what is that default setup? And does that feel natural?
A lot of people use their Xbox controllers to play on PC. How do you guys feel about people playing God of War with an Xbox controller now?
DeWald: Awesome. We even put in all the glyphs for you so you don't get confused by the button press. Yeah, we have no problems with that. You can even use a Switch controller here as well.

the-pi-guy

They mentioned above that the PC port was 2 years in the making.

God of War PC's new accessibility features 'laid the groundwork' for God of War Ragnarok | PC Gamer

Pavlin mentioned that the PC's customizability and support for all kinds of controllers naturally open the door to more accessibility options, but those benefits can also carry over indirectly to Santa Monica's next game on PS5: God of War Ragnarok. Revisiting the 2018 code gave the developers an opportunity to build a "more accessible framework" for their next game.

"Working on things like keyboard remapping allows us to actually look at how that pipeline functions overall, and carry that forward through all of our SMS products," Pavlin said. "So that will help us to build a better foundation to work off of in future products."

Senior technical producer Matt DeWald added that "PC is just a small sliver of what we want to do for accessibility. It's the stuff that we could easily do without going back and re-authoring content. But to Mila's point, accessibility is really important to us. And we want to try to make sure we can support as much as we can. So there are some big plans."

the-pi-guy

Sounds fantastic. We're in the weird spot of superior Sony PC ports compared to Microsoft.
Yes - I consider this in a number of ways better than FH5 and Halo Infinite PC ports at the moment.
Though to be fair - the best PC port in years came from MS with Gears 5.
Pretty glowing praise from Digital Foundry here

Legend

I'm glad this is a great port. How does it compare to Horizon, Death Stranding, and Days Gone?

Go Up