Kotaku: Rare NES Game Stadium Events Sells For Nearly $42,000

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 19, 2017, 09:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Kotaku: Rare NES Game Stadium Events Sells For Nearly $42,000 - NeoGAF

A sealed copy of the rare Nintendo Entertainment System game Stadium Events has sold for $41,977, the seller has confirmed to Kotaku.
 While the owner had originally attempted to sell the game through an eBay auction earlier this month, the winning bidder did not pay, the seller said in an email. But after speaking with a serious buyer, a private deal has now been struck, and payment has changed hands, making this one of the highest confirmed prices a single game has ever sold for.
 Of all of the games that Nintendo officially licensed for its 8-bit NES, Stadium Events is by far the rarest, because it was only on shelves for a brief window of time before it was pulled and replaced with World Class Track Meet. Last year, ESPN The Magazine ran an extensive feature about the game’s history and the collectors who covet it.

More here
 This is crazy stuff.

BasilZero

Taking "Physical" to a whole new level.

Could have used that $42,000 to pretty much own all consoles of this gen  + PC and entire libraries of games.

BananaKing

Taking "Physical" to a whole new level.

Could have used that $42,000 to pretty much own all consoles of this gen  + PC and entire libraries of games.
or you know... buy a car.... or open a small business. or give it to fudgy charity.

BasilZero

or you know... buy a car.... or open a small business. or give it to fudgy charity.
Considering its a video game that was purchased for $42,000, I was talking in terms of video games.

Probably could buy all the games one would want and all the platforms and still have money to buy a car or donate to charity ;D

the-pi-guy

Yeah, you could buy like 4 pretty nice cars.  

Or like 2 really nice cars, with room to spare.  

BasilZero

Yeah, you could buy like 4 pretty nice cars.  

Or like 2 really nice cars, with room to spare.  
What?

4 cars? I'm guessing you mean used cars...?

the-pi-guy

What?

4 cars? I'm guessing you mean used cars...?
You'd have to be a maniac to buy an unused car.   ::)

BasilZero

You'd have to be a maniac to buy an unused car.   ::)
;o

Never owned a used car lol.

the-pi-guy

;o

Never owned a used car lol.
What do you consider used?

BasilZero

What do you consider used?
Having a pre-existing owner/driver.

the-pi-guy

Having a pre-existing owner/driver.
Probably lose like $8000 as soon as you leave the parking lot.

BasilZero

Jul 22, 2017, 12:58 AM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 01:28 AM by BasilZero
Probably lose like $8000 as soon as you leave the parking lot.
The value of a item reduces once it gets a new owner, regardless of whether it was new or already used.

But to be honest, I rather buy something new than used. To me its like not buying used clothes (eww), etc - I just cant stand buying used stuff personally :P.

Whether it be a house, car or a video game - its all the same for me. The last time I bought anything used was a SNES with Super Mario RPG back in 2002.

So looking at the topic at hand, paying $42,000 to something so ancient and something that was likely used already (and not having any intention of using it yourself but for collection value) is dumb imo.

Like BananaWoman said, could have used the $42,000 for something else like a better cause.

the-pi-guy

Jul 22, 2017, 01:54 AM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 01:56 AM by the-pi-guy
The value of a item reduces once it gets a new owner, regardless of whether it was new or already used.
Things lose value, but new things lose value much much faster.  Can't imagine buying a brand new car. 

Probably would only if it was a special order car.

I would never buy used clothes though.

Legend

I don't think my family has ever bought a new car. The used ones are already too expensive.

Why is this game worth that much? I have no problem with someone paying $42k for it, but I'd imagine the record for most expensive game would go to something more well known.

BasilZero

Jul 22, 2017, 02:16 AM Last Edit: Jul 22, 2017, 02:21 AM by BasilZero
I don't think my family has ever bought a new car. The used ones are already too expensive.

Why is this game worth that much? I have no problem with someone paying $42k for it, but I'd imagine the record for most expensive game would go to something more well known.
I saw a AVGN video about it.

Apparently only a few copies were made so it was super rare.

I think there's a gold cartridge version of it too?

As for car wise , my family only bought one used car but that was when we first came to the US , so I was like 3 or 4 years old back then.

Since then, we've had 4 cars.

One of them was sold (this was when I was super young) - replaced by three new cars (at time of purchase)

1996 - Toyota Camry (my spare but parents mainly use this)
2003 - Lexus ES 300 (my main car - was a birthday present)
2013 - Toyota Tacoma (my spare, bought it without a loan, only used when we are hauling stuff like plant growing stuff for our garden etc or take during special events).

Thinking about selling/trading in my Toyota camry 1996 since its been driven over 200,000 miles and its really old. Thinking of replacing it with a 2017 Toyota Camry.

Edit: Just realized it was a "sealed" copy and not a used copy - lol.