Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III Review Thread: 83 OC (22 Reviews) 82 MC (32 Reviews)

Started by ethomaz, Apr 24, 2017, 01:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

ethomaz

RPS

There are moments, many of them, during multiplayer and AI skirmishes, where I'm absolutely certain that Dawn of War 3 is the best game in the series, even with its missteps when it comes to cover and fortifications. I could happily continue rambling on about the brilliant faction design or how I still squeal with glee every time I drop a gargantuan beast of an Elite like Imperial Knight Solaria into a fight - you haven't lived until you've witnessed her impossibly huge guns turning an army of Orks into green-red paste. If you're only interested in the campaign, however, then you're unlikely to find as much to get enthused about.
PC Gamer - review in progress

If I were to pass judgement on it now, I'd call Dawn of War 3 flawed but fun. The flashy animations might chase away Warhammer fans who can't bear the thought of guy in terminator armour flipping into battle. There's certainly fun here, though, and I'll be back with a fuller review explaining whether that means it represents a new dawn for the real-time strategy genre as a whole.
Gamespot - 8

An odd chimera of its forebears, there's a lot in this fast-paced RTS that's a little bit off. Parts of the interface don't work sometimes, inter-match army management is half-baked, and the micromanagement needed to use the game's signature hero units effectively doesn't jibe with the extensive base-building you'll need to support them. But those problems fall away when you're in the heat of battle. Dawn of War III builds and maintains an organic tension that yields huge pay-offs, and there's nothing else quite like it.

Eurogamer

For now though, there are signs of serious promise. Bringing it back to that button-mapping for just another second, this feels like the RTS equivalent of the moment everyone sat down and decided that controllers have two analog sticks and the jump button goes where PlayStation put the X. What's more, DoW3 has more going on than both previous games combined when it comes to scale, tone and the straight-up phwoarr-factor of battle. Whether or not those brilliant highs are undermined by a couple of clumsily missed marks will become clear enough soon.
IGN - review in progress (SP campaign)

Overall, Relic deserves credit for not simply remaking the same game with prettier graphics for the third entry in the series. But from a single-player perspective, this hybrid approach doesn't feel as strong as Dawn of War 2's memorable tactical focus. If I had to score it now, based solely on the single-player campaign, I'd give it a 7.2, for good.

Check back next week for the final review, including my thoughts on Dawn of War 3's multiplayer mode.
Destructoid - 7.5

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War III takes a few steps back in time to make one step forward. It hearkens back to a lot of older design choices from the first game, and attempts to build upon other RTS conventions in the process. Not everything works (especially the strict adherence to the core conceit), but it's still very much both a Warhammer and a Dawn of War joint.
Polygon - 8

Dawn of War 3 makes an admirable attempt to nudge forward a genre that has struggled in recent years to progress. The addition of Elites offers intriguing and complex challenges for those who are prepared to put in the necessary practice. Relic has obviously thought long and hard about how realtime strategy might best be improved -- even if true evolution seems out of the game's grasp.
PCGamesN - 8/10

This is the most conventional RTS in an historically unconventional series. While this fact alone may divide players, its quality of presentation and polished mechanics mean that, as it inevitably expands with more content, Dawn of War III may yet become the champion of a genre that remains stubbornly resistant to evolution.