SpaceX reused rocket launch: FULL SUCCESS!!!

Started by Legend, Mar 30, 2017, 02:05 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Legend

Mar 30, 2017, 02:05 PM Last Edit: Mar 30, 2017, 10:43 PM by Legend
DEserves a thread of its own. This should be the most historic launch of rocket hardware in decades.

The booster is the one from this landing:

DD_Bwest

yay so exciting.   last i heard the weather was lookin really good.

Legend

Mar 30, 2017, 03:21 PM Last Edit: Mar 30, 2017, 04:13 PM by Legend

DD_Bwest

Legend

Legend

Some hype music: SpaceX Launch You Up (Uptown Funk Parody) on Vimeo

It's crazy that after years and years of talking about reusing rockets, this could be it. The dream may be finally coming true. Most important rocket hardware launch in 36 years.

Or the booster could explode ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Legend

Legend

DD_Bwest

it would be pretty cool if they attached chutes to them and then grabbed them midair with a chopper lol

Legend

it would be pretty cool if they attached chutes to them and then grabbed them midair with a chopper lol
Boing (I think it's boing)'s plan for reuse is to jettison the engine and catch it with a chopper like you described. It'll be cool to see it then but I really hope SpaceX has a simpler solution. Maybe just barge cushions? What would be the terminal velocity for a fairing on its side?

DD_Bwest

Boing (I think it's boing)'s plan for reuse is to jettison the engine and catch it with a chopper like you described. It'll be cool to see it then but I really hope SpaceX has a simpler solution. Maybe just barge cushions? What would be the terminal velocity for a fairing on its side?

i heard a rumor a while back about steerable parachutes,  but no sure those would be enough to get it back to dry land

Legend

i heard a rumor a while back about steerable parachutes,  but no sure those would be enough to get it back to dry land
You don't need steerable parachutes if you turn the fairing itself into a giant surfboard/glider. I believe that's what they've been testing on previous flights.

Legend

Legend

Propellant has started loading. Automatic countdown sequence has started.

Go Up