Mass Effect Andromeda Review Thread 73 OC (113 reviews), 70 MC (54 reviews)

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 20, 2017, 02:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

Metacritic  |  OpenCritic

LaPS4 - 90/100
cogconnected - 88/100
IGN Spain - 8.5/10
everyeye - 8.5/10

Gaming Nexus - 8.8/10

Forbes - 8.5/10

PlayStation Trophies - 8/10

The Sixth Axis - 8/10
I found it hard to be excited during the opening hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda. It feels too safe, too much like what's gone before, but then it clicks. There's a moment where the galaxy opens up and you find yourself embarking once more on a huge mission across compelling, beautifully constructed planets, surrounded by memorable characters. Sadly the glut of technical missteps serve to cheapen proceedings, but this is still an adventure you don't want to miss out on.
Game Informer - 8/10
When taken as its own journey (and not in comparison to Shepard's saga), Mass Effect: Andromeda is fun, and the important parts work. The narrative isn't astounding, but keeps you invested and drives you forward. The combat is entertaining whether you're in single-player or multiplayer. The crew isn't my favorite, but I like them and they have some good moments. Even with its other problems, these are the largest forces shaping your experience with Mass Effect: Andromeda, and they make it worth playing. At the same time, I was often left looking through a haze of inconveniences and dreaming about the game it could have been.
Critical Hit - 8/10

PC Gamer - 8/10

Attack of the Fanboy - 4/5

PlayStation Universe - 8/10

RPGFan - 7.8/10

IGN - 7.7/10

Polygon - 7.5/10

RPG Site - 7/10
Ryder's tale feels like a solid beginning to something new. It needs more than a little polish, and probably some extensive work under the hood, but Andromeda has reassured me Mass Effect can exist without the Citadel, Earth, Shepard or even Ryder. This new galaxy left me with more questions than answers, but I'm okay with that. I hope another entry to the series means more exploration into every corner of humanity's new home.
Videogamer - 7/10

CGMag Online - 7/10

GamesRadar+ - 3.5/5

Hardcore Gamer - 3.5/5

Destructoid - 6.5/10

PlayStation Lifestyle - 6.5/10

USgamer - 6/10

The weak main quest was much on my mind while I was deciding how to score Mass Effect: Andromeda, as were the comparatively shallow mechanics and repetitive enemies. Even the much ballyhooed planets offer comparatively little to discover outside of pretty scenery, resources, and bandit camps (happily, there are so many quests that you rarely notice). The character models and animation, obviously, were a factor as well, though they weren't as noticeably bad in my playthrough as the hype would suggest. The vast, rather beautiful landscapes definitely helped.
Metro - 6/10

We didn't particularly like any of the characters and interacting with them often comes across like some purposefully silly-looking YouTube skit. Whereas the team behind Andromeda's action and role-playing elements have used the five years since Mass Effect 3 wisely it feels like those working on the script and story have only just woken up from hypersleep themselves, and dashed out this rushed and worryingly flawed game in a matter of weeks, not years.
Gamespot - 6/10

In many ways, Andromeda feels like a vision half-fulfilled. It contains a dizzying amount of content, but the quality fluctuates wildly. Its worlds and combat shine, but its writing and missions falter--and the relative strength of the former is not enough to compensate for the inescapable weakness of the latter. As a Mass Effect game, Andromeda falls well short of the nuanced politics, morality, and storytelling of its predecessors. For me, the series has always been about compelling characters and harrowing choices, so to find such weak writing here is bitterly disappointing. Yet even after 65 hours, I still plan on completing a few more quests. The game can't escape its shortcomings, but patient explorers can still find a few stars shining in the darkness.
The Daily Dot - 3/5

VentureBeat - 5.5/10

Games have to fit into our lives, and that's not always fair. Mass Effect: Andromeda might've worked a decade ago on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but it doesn't work in a world that is delivering games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this reality, BioWare's latest role-playing game is old, broken, and often boring. Worst of all, it's going to disappoint fans of the Mass Effect series.
Rock Paper Shotgun - No score

Eurogamer - No score

Legend

RE7 great
Nioh great
Horizon great
ZElda great
Nier great

ME: Combo breaker!

Raven

RE7 great
Nioh great
Horizon great
ZElda great
Nier great

ME: Combo breaker!
Honestly, who would have thought that Mass Effect would be the first real disappointment of the year? At least we have early word that Persona 5 is amazing.

Aura7541

ethomaz

Expected? Hell no.

How a quality 80-90 series drops to 75... something bad that didn't happen with previous games happened.

75 is still good but disappointment.

nnodley

Yeah It's disappointing, but everything I've seen still looks awesome to me and will still likely enjoy it a lot.  I do wish they would have continued on after the events of ME 3.

Dr. Pezus

nnodley

I'll let ya'll know tomorrow whether I think these reviews are full of bull! ;D   Probably won't be since opinions and all.

BananaKing

I'll let ya'll know tomorrow whether I think these reviews are full of bull! ;D   Probably won't be since opinions and all.
Yeah please do. I'm not wondering if i should wait on this to drop heavily in price or not

nnodley

Yeah please do. I'm not wondering if i should wait on this to drop heavily in price or not
Yeah I'm kinda glad I had $15 in ps store money so I got it for $45.   But yeah I'll post impressions tomorrow.  Will likely play a few hours tonight when it unlocks.

Raven

Seeing as how I preordered on PSN, I'm pretty much stuck with the game. So I'll also give my opinion as I play.

SWORDF1SH

Legend

This game will probably sell great. It's not that bad and it markets itself.

BananaKing

Xevross

Why have all the sci-fi games this gen bomb!!
Horizon?

This game will probably sell great. It's not that bad and it markets itself.
Plus it has the mass effect name. Lots of people will just buy it without looking at reviews or the consensus on the internet.

Go Up