PS4Pro Native 4K Games

Started by GribbleGrunger, Oct 06, 2016, 03:42 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

GribbleGrunger

Kerotan

That dynamic resolution thing that can give you a much improved image sounds awesome.  Like when you stop to take in the scenery or the views in a beautiful game this is the perfect feature.

PLASTICA-MAN

Thanks GribbleGrunger for making this thread here. Looking forward that Mike Armbrust gets his PS4 PRO devkit so we can enjoy the game on PS4 PRO. :D

the-pi-guy

That dynamic resolution thing that can give you a much improved image sounds awesome.  Like when you stop to take in the scenery or the views in a beautiful game this is the perfect feature.
The above is not exactly dynamic resolution.  It's not that the resolution is changing.
I don't know very much about this admittingly.  
(To be honest, I'd imagine that there are a few different types of techniques that are reminiscent of "checkerboard" rendering.)
The VR checkerboard rendering talks about averaging colors.  Which doesn't necessarily have to have that benefit.  

If you were to alternate pixels in a checkerboard like fashion, ie rendering A1B2A1B2A1B2A1 (etc), each individual frame could be rendered at half of the real resolution.  But if nothing is happening on screen, then you can get A1B1A1B1A1B1A1 to be exactly what you'd expect if the game was rendering at full resolution.  

Lordfancypants

Since the list is so skimpy, feel free to add VizionEck. I don't have a PS4 Pro dev kit but for a while it was running 4K native on standard PS4.
Why no 8K?  :p
Is this where I talk favorably about myself?

GribbleGrunger

Oct 07, 2016, 11:41 AM Last Edit: Oct 07, 2016, 12:34 PM by GribbleGrunger
Trine was also running in 4K on the original PS4 but there's no official word on whether there will be a Pro version. There probably will be but I'm not going to add it until we get confirmation.

- Futuridium EP Deluxe (Native 4K@60FPS)
- forma.8 (Native 4K@60FPS + 8xMSAA )

GribbleGrunger

Thanks GribbleGrunger for making this thread here. Looking forward that Mike Armbrust gets his PS4 PRO devkit so we can enjoy the game on PS4 PRO. :D
Welcome to the forum ;)

GribbleGrunger

Oct 10, 2016, 10:04 PM Last Edit: Oct 10, 2016, 10:19 PM by GribbleGrunger
Added

- Thumper (Native 4K@60FPS). I'm assuming it's 60fps because the only reference I have is 90fps in PSVR.

It also looks like Hustle Kings supports native 4K but I'm waiting for verification.

SWORDF1SH

Added

- Thumper (Native 4K@60FPS). I'm assuming it's 60fps because the only reference I have is 90fps in PSVR.

It also looks like Hustle Kings supports native 4K but I'm waiting for verification.
Nice, quite a lot of native 4k games coming in.

GribbleGrunger

Nice, quite a lot of native 4k games coming in.
And let's not forget Sony's patented checkerboard tech is NOT upscaling. A lot of people forget this.

SWORDF1SH

And let's not forget Sony's patented checkerboard tech is NOT upscaling. A lot of people forget this.
Yeah it's not native 4k but the reports have been very positive on the results. DF were impressed with the technique.

GribbleGrunger

Yeah it's not native 4k but the reports have been very positive on the results. DF were impressed with the technique.
There's 'certain' Youtube channels trying to pretend the XB1s is the same. What they fail to tell their viewers, and deliberately in my opinion, it the XB1s simply stretches the resolution to fit a 4K screen. What's more, the tech in the XB1s isn't needed because all 4K TVs upscale automatically anyway. It's a con.

Legend

Do you have a link to that patent?

As far as I recall Ubisoft has been using checkerboard for a few recent games.

GribbleGrunger

Do you have a link to that patent?

As far as I recall Ubisoft has been using checkerboard for a few recent games.
There's been little detail but Cerny is said to be doing a talk on PS4 tech soon (if he hasn't already). The tech is actually on the GPU in the PS4pro. That's all we know. Eurogamer touched upon it here:

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with Mantis Burn Racing on PS4 Pro • Eurogamer.net

And here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-4k-gaming-on-ps4-pro-tech-analysis

Go Up