Valve VR, the HTC RE Vive

Started by Legend, Mar 01, 2015, 07:32 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dr. Pezus

how's that 3D working out for you?
I got a 3D TV so...well. Lol. I don't use the 3D much though. I don't know why you're comparing VR with 3D though. One is an entirely new experience for movies, games, tourism and more and the other is just a depth gimmick.

the-pi-guy

how's that 3D working out for you?

*Looks at eyetoy*
Motion control is going to flop.
*Looks at Wii*
Well, well, well. 

kitler53

I got a 3D TV so...well. Lol. I don't use the 3D much though. I don't know why you're comparing VR with 3D though. One is an entirely new experience gimmick for movies, games, tourism and more and the other is just a depth gimmick.

fixed that for you.  it was only a few years ago that 3D was "and entirely new experience".   it only became a "gimmick" when it flopped,..  which VR will.

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

the-pi-guy

fixed that for you.  it was only a few years ago that 3D was "and entirely new experience".   it only became a "gimmick" when it flopped,..  which VR will.

Flop, only in comparison. 
Think it'll be far more successful than  3D.  Just look at all the companies jumping on it. 

kitler53

*Looks at eyetoy*
Motion control is going to flop.
*Looks at Wii*
Well, well, well.

**looks at motion control from 2012 to now**

what's worse?  fad or flop?   ..at least with a flop i don't waste my money on a PoS hardware that hindered games in almost every implementation and quickly lost support.

..and 3D was techincally a fad too.  it had its one killer app (avatar) and then everything after that sucked balls.

the-pi-guy

what's worse?  fad or flop?   ..at least with a flop i don't waste my money on a PoS hardware that hindered games in almost every implementation and quickly lost support.

..and 3D was techincally a fad too.  it had its one killer app (avatar) and then everything after that sucked balls.

True. 
I never cared for 3D.  Even with it's killer app.

Legend

We just have to wait till 2017 for Avatar 2. Then 3D is back in business!

Dr. Pezus

We just have to wait till 2017 for Avatar 2. Then 3D is back in business!
They should make Avatar 2 fully VR compatible.

Dr. Pezus

"This is the future of gaming. Right here."

Legend

flop.

Ctrl f "but"

Oh wait, that's the opposite of what you said would happen ;)

kitler53

Ctrl f "but"

Oh wait, that's the opposite of what you said would happen ;)

my ctrl-f found 8 buts.  ;)

the-pi-guy

But with the HTC Vive I took my first steps towards that world.

The frustrating thing is I can't talk about my experiences until Wednesday, but suffice to say it was awesome.

But I can say this: I promised myself I wouldn't start smiling or laughing when I tried it on.

I wish I could say more, but check back on Wednesday to get the full experience explained.

The HTC Vive headset looks and feels precisely like any other of its kind on the market right now, but with the ability to move around a room when playing.

The headset is tight fitting but perfectly comfortable, with a strap across the top to hold it in place, with another strap that secures things around the back.

It's a plastic headset that really doesn't look very different to anything else you've seen out there - but trust me, if / when you get to use one, you're going to see it's a massive game changer.

Will you get one as soon as it's announced? Well, it depends on the developer ecosystem, but it sounds like many games will be ready for the late 2015 launch. I really hope this takes off, as it's something that really pushes on the ability of technology in the home.

You're totally right.   

Legend

even the most optimistic reviews will be pepper with "buts" just like every review i've read so far.   "it's an amazing experience but...".

Now here are those 8 "buts."

"I always thought that idea[vr], that experience, would never be real.

But with the HTC Vive I took my first steps towards that world."

"The frustrating thing is I can't talk about my experiences until Wednesday, but suffice to say it was awesome."

"But I can say this: I promised myself I wouldn't start smiling or laughing when I tried it on. I promised I would be a professional journalist, sagely analysing what this meant for the world of virtual reality and its place in HTC's future strategy.

I lasted approximately seven seconds before I started giggling like a tipsy schoolgirl."

"I wish I could say more, but check back on Wednesday to get the full experience explained."

"The HTC Vive headset looks and feels precisely like any other of its kind on the market right now, but with the ability to move around a room when playing."

"The headset is tight fitting but perfectly comfortable"

"It's a plastic headset that really doesn't look very different to anything else you've seen out there - but trust me, if / when you get to use one, you're going to see it's a massive game changer."

"Will you get one as soon as it's announced? Well, it depends on the developer ecosystem, but it sounds like many games will be ready for the late 2015 launch. "

Every single one is positive, "Oh wait, that's the opposite of what you said would happen ;)"

Go Up