PC Community Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Jul 31, 2014, 02:28 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

the-pi-guy

A lot of schools have smart boards that are kind of like smart markerboards.  

There's usually 4 markers, and the display tells which marker is being used, basically by the markers being on a button and the system keeps track of which marker was removed last.

Then there's a projector to actually display what's on the board.  

Legend

There's usually 4 markers, and the display tells which marker is being used, basically by the markers being on a button and the system keeps track of which marker was removed last.

Yeah my middle school won a grant and had those fitted in every room. Kinda useless yet kinda cool.

They could run simple physics simulations. Like draw a ramp and a ball, and the ball will roll down. Could also convert handwriting to text.

darkknightkryta

Yeah, it's a mixed feeling for them.  There's a push for them, but I think they're useless.  I like that you can save work and digitize it.  Like, they're way to expensive for what they do.  I can do just as much with a projector projecting on a black board/white board.  

the-pi-guy

Yeah, it's a mixed feeling for them.  There's a push for them, but I think they're useless.  I like that you can save work and digitize it.  Like, they're way to expensive for what they do.  I can do just as much with a projector projecting on a black board/white board.  
I think they're pretty cool.  
I personally like drawing on a marker board.  
I would want one at some point, that way I wouldn't have to worry about getting markers.  

darkknightkryta

I think they're pretty cool.  
I personally like drawing on a marker board.  
I would want one at some point, that way I wouldn't have to worry about getting markers.  
It's not quite what you think :P

They don't erase as well.  Plus, with the way I teach, I use presentations and then leave empty space so I can write on the white board with.  So I'll project something, then use the white board to draw on it.  It's not exactly easy to do that with a smartboard.  Unless someone wrote software for it.

the-pi-guy

It's not quite what you think :P

They don't erase as well.  Plus, with the way I teach, I use presentations and then leave empty space so I can write on the white board with.  So I'll project something, then use the white board to draw on it.  It's not exactly easy to do that with a smartboard.  Unless someone wrote software for it.
I've used smart boards before, and I've seen teachers use it quite extensively.  Pretty much all the teachers had a smart board by the time I got to high school.  Seen them used to a great extent for about 3-4 years, used it myself every now and then.  

The smart board vendor did have software for it.  I think they had special software that resembled powerpoint.  Outside of that, if you were to try to draw on the screen, the software would first take a picture of it and import it into some other software.  

Some of the teacher laboriously erased like you would with a normal marker board, but there's other ways too.  With that one, the software let you just erase a circle, and then tap the middle and it'll erase everything else.  

BasilZero

Finished Disc 1 for Final Fantasy VII for Steam/PC.....took me 5 months but I was distracted for the most part XD.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Feb 11, 2016, 11:15 PM Last Edit: Feb 11, 2016, 11:20 PM by Mmm_fish_tacos
This is probably the most impractical build ever.

lol, he's a bit of a sucker.

Aura7541

Legend

Aura7541

Here is the FAQ on Steam and Croteam's Q&A for those who are interested in reading about Vulkan. Here's the part in the FAQ that really piqued my interest:

Q: That's better. Now, why was Vulkan support added to Talos?

A: Good question! We (Croteam) firmly believe that Vulkan is really the best low(est)-level API there can be. Fast and portable!

Yes, it has downside(s). For one, it's quite hard to program for. You have to do a lot of things manually, instead of relying on drivers to do the work for you. This is both good and bad at the same time. Good for performance reasons, because driver doesn't assume what game wants to render (I won't go into any more details here, sorry). Bad because there's a lot more coding and in general, it's a more complex approach. You better know what you're doing, because you won't get any help from the driver. You're on your own.
It's really great to have that much control. IF you know what you're doing!

Legend

I'm finally getting around to Star Citizen. This game is so amazing.

BasilZero

Vulkan has officially launched.
Apparently huge improvement in the emulation scene specifically with the GCN/Wii emulator Dolphin.

darkknightkryta

Apparently huge improvement in the emulation scene specifically with the GCN/Wii emulator Dolphin.
Heard Direct X12 gave huge improvements to GCN/Wii

Legend

Walking in space ships is so amazing!

It makes the game like grand theft auto in space. I was having a blast being a stowaway on other ships. In one case I was exploring a space station when I noticed a $200 ship parked outside. I ran to the ship and triggered the boarding elevator. However its captain was right behind me and started shooting as I rode the platform up.

Inside I freak out since I lack a gun. I run to the next room to see him riding the storage elevator up, gun drawn. I run around to the other side of the ship closing doors behind me, finding a deployable fighter. Hide in it while I hear him searching the ship but he missed me.

Go Up