Use this thread to ask questions that you've been thinking about but can't find answers to.

Started by Legend, Oct 01, 2017, 07:24 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

i was making a jab at creationists lol noah took 2 of each "kind" lol
I figured.
A kind is a superspecies that covers whatever is most convenient to the argument.

Legend

Kind is Dutch for child.

Xevross

Ligo type gravity wave detection. The stuff being discovered is super new, but the detection method is well understood. Kinda like planet searching.

Quantum entanglement used for secure communication? China recently launched a sat to test that. A signal is sent using normal methods and quantum state is used to decrypt it. Impossible to intercept.

Rotation of stars within a galaxy. How spirals don't move and edges rotate fast. Maybe that's a bit too active with study.

Geological activity on pluto caused by water freezing and generating heat.

How neutron stars are basically giant atoms and don't collapse due to Pauli's exclusion principle.

How the distance to stars is calculated. That's kinda cool.

How ground telescopes deal with the atmosphere distorting images. Real cool ways they handle that.

Just throwing out what comes to mind.
Very astrophysics based! :o

Legend

I think the planets forming a line originated around the 60's. That's about the earliest mention of something like it within literature that I can find. Then it became popular in the 70's with predictions/hoaxes that a planetary alignment with Jupiter would mess with Earth.

Go Up