Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection Reviews 87

Started by the-pi-guy, Sep 30, 2015, 03:16 PM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Sep 30, 2015, 03:16 PM Last Edit: Oct 05, 2015, 05:02 PM by the-pi-guy
Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection Critic Reviews for PlayStation 4 - Metacritic

Spoiler for http://www.thejimquisition.com/2015/09/uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-review/:
The original, Drake's Fortune, now enjoys the benefit of combat improvements seen in its sequels, so there's very little mechanical difference between the trio.<br><br>That said, there's only so much you can enhance an old game without completely remaking it, and there's no denying that Drake's Fortune has aged particularly badly. With its tedious climbing segments, repetitive ranged combat, and awful melee fighting - not to mention the dated animations and simplistic visuals - Nathan Drake's premiere leaves a lot to be desired.<br><br>Though a better game overall, Uncharted 2 still has its problems. Close combat is superior, but still quite sluggish and unsatisfying, while later levels are a grinding slog of the same old ranged gunfights against increasingly aggravating enemies. It's a game I could never quite bring myself to finish even back when it was released, though overall I'm glad I've had an excuse to go back and complete the job this time.<br><br>Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, however, is a dang good game, a leap of improvement over its predecessors. Melee battles are more frequent and upgraded significantly with a counter system and a useful dynamic camera. Environments are better designed, allowing for Nathan to climb, jump, and swing through the world more easily. Ranged combat is varied, with a variety of exciting locales that change the way a fight feels, as well as new enemy types to keep things interesting.<br><br>Each game goes for a consistent 60fps at 1080p, and I can't say I noticed any dip in performance as it aimed for that target. Drake's Deception looks especially beautiful and right at home on the PS4, putting even many current generation releases to shame with its inspiring vistas and gorgeously colorful scenes

Spoiler for http://www.gamesradar.com/uncharted-nathan-drake-collection-review/:
<br>Uncharted: Drake's Fortune has the most to be thankful for, shedding its bothersome visual tearing in the bright glare of more sophisticated lighting effects. You're not likely to mistake it for a PlayStation 4 game, but at the same time it's hard to imagine a 2007 game ever looking this vibrant. Be sure to bust out the rich photo mode during Drake's memorable tour through a drowned city in Costa Rica.<br><br>The Nathan Drake collection wraps all three games in a neat menu, pinned to a convenient set of options that filter through to each game. It even indulges minor preferences, like whether you want a film-like motion blur applied to the whole scene or objects alone, and makes sensible adjustments to older games when newer mechanics just work better. The impact of firearms is wildly different in each Uncharted (and they get progressively louder), but for once the feel and responsiveness of aiming is consistent across all games. Rather than meddling or cutting, Bluepoint polishes and arranges elegantly.<br><br>Depending on your reasons for coming to Uncharted, you could criticize The Nathan Drake Collection for being an incomplete preservation of the PS3 trilogy - it drops the multiplayer components of Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 entirely, the latter game's 3D mode is gone, and none of the behind-the-scenes videos make it over (likely to squeeze all three games onto a single disc). As a package of three single-player games, though, it still packs a cutting-edge wallop.<br>

Spoiler for http://gamingtrend.com/reviews/greatness-from-small-beginnings-uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-review/:
<br>The most notable updates the Nathan Drake Collection has to offer are for the original game, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. As the first Uncharted served as the first PlayStation 3 game for Naughty Dog, the game still suffers from some obvious "transitional game" drawbacks, including animations that seem ripped from the Jak and Daxter series, but Bluepoint has managed to make the game look demonstrably better on the PlayStation 4. Drake's Fortune features updated models, improved lighting, and touched up effects that make the eight-year-old game look decent at its worst, and actually pretty impressive at its best.<br>Despite the noticeable visual upgrade, Drake's Fortune still manages to feel rather dated next to Among Thieves and Drake's Deception. <br>While the actual graphical upgrade is more minute, both Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception still stand as some of last generation's greatest.<br>But even without the multiplayer modes to keep the disc in your PlayStation 4 for an extended period of time, the Nathan Drake Collection is still a great value thanks to these three incredibly important works<br>

Spoiler for http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/uncharted-the-nathan-drake-collection-review/1900-6416259/:
<br>THE GOOD<br>&nbsp;Vivid, sweeping stories with grand cinematic scope<br>&nbsp;Finer detail and smoother framerate make the series feel fresh<br>&nbsp;Endearing, versatile characters with complex relationships<br>&nbsp;Fine-tuned set pieces in vibrant locations across the world<br>&nbsp;Masterful pacing in Uncharted 2 and 3<br>THE BAD<br>&nbsp;Uncharted: Drake&#39;s Fortune has not aged well, making a third of the collection a slog<br>&nbsp;Disconnect between the gameplay and characters that, while not jarring, feels more pronounced by modern standards

Legend

Mmm_fish_tacos

Seems a bit low but nice scores.
It's only got 11 reviews, the 70 review hasn't hit yet. This might end up in the lower 80s.

Dr. Pezus

Xevross

Still on 86 after plenty of reviews. I wonder why it got lower than any of the three games, the complaints don't seem to be too significant.

Raven

Still on 86 after plenty of reviews. I wonder why it got lower than any of the three games, the complaints don't seem to be too significant.
Like I said earlier, they're mostly older games. Even as remasters their age will likely slow them down. Some games only needed a fresh coat of paint to be reviewed the same. Others can't hold up completely. If I had to guess, the original Uncharted probably brought the score down the most. It was the lowest reviewed in the past and better games of that kind released well after.

Xevross

Like I said earlier, they're mostly older games. Even as remasters their age will likely slow them down. Some games only needed a fresh coat of paint to be reviewed the same. Others can't hold up completely. If I had to guess, the original Uncharted probably brought the score down the most. It was the lowest reviewed in the past and better games of that kind released well after.
True, I guess also the omission of multiplayer doesn't help. Still, I was expecting it to be higher than this but I know I'll still love it

the-pi-guy

Mmm_fish_tacos

VizionEck is now advertising this game. :o

I'm getting some designer wear subscription box. Odd...

Legend

VizionEck is now advertising this game. :o

I've been getting Uncharted adds on here for a few days already.

Google is scary!

Max King of the Wild

I've been getting hardcore bad stuff... I mean... Ignore that

darkknightkryta

"Drake's Fortune aged the worse" yet has the best A.I. in the series.  Only game of the 3 where the A.I. flank on your position.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Xevross

Dr. Pezus

Seems like the European reviews were great!