Do you "look down" on gaming?

Started by Legend, Jun 04, 2018, 05:02 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

At least imo it's weird how gaming is practically the only thing out there where it's common for fans to dislike liking it.

For example gamers will call it cringy when others identify as gamers, mock people for taking things seriously since it's just video games, dislike people thinking games can be as good/better than other forms of entertainment in some ways, etc.

I understand the near universal thing of casual fans disliking core fans, but this is core fans disliking core fans. People will spend hours daily on gaming forums and watch E3 live when possible yet distance themselves from the hobby and put down others for caring about it.

So do you fall into this group?

I'd say it's probably because society as a whole looks down on gaming at least in some ways. People may love the hobby but they don't want to become the "stereotype." Personally I feel this to some extent since I somewhat subconsciously justify my passion for video games as ok since I'm a game developer and it's my job.

Xevross

Huh, I don't feel this at all. I know some casuals are like this but I've never noticed this amongst any proper gaming fans. Most of my gaming friends are the same as well.

the-pi-guy

No, but I'm aware of this kind of thing.  
So sometimes I avoid calling myself a gamer in public.  I don't know how common this still is.  

I'm generally proud to be a gamer.  And I think gaming is the best media.  

Legend

Huh, I don't feel this at all. I know some casuals are like this but I've never noticed this amongst any proper gaming fans. Most of my gaming friends are the same as well.
Lots and lots of posts in this thread express it: Kamiya says games are not art (NSFW) | ResetEra

Xevross

Lots and lots of posts in this thread express it: Kamiya says games are not art (NSFW) | ResetEra
I saw that thread and thought, game is an art if the designer wants it to be. Games like TLOU and BOTW I would definitely call art. Games like Fortnite, not so much.

Dr. Pezus

God I hate Kamiya so much...

Legend

I saw that thread and thought, game is an art if the designer wants it to be. Games like TLOU and BOTW I would definitely call art. Games like Fortnite, not so much.
Yeah discussion about games being art is a topic that many can disagree on.

In that thread though there are people actively putting down others for thinking any game is "worthy" of that label. Or mocking people for thinking games can elicit certain emotions/experiences better than film and books. Basically thinking it's dorky to hold games in such high esteem.

Does make good games at least.

Dr. Pezus

I'm not 100% openly game but I don't try to hide it either.

the-pi-guy

He has been involved in some very artistic games though.

Same.

Dr. Pezus

He has been involved in some very artistic games though.
Same.
Which makes him even more stupid and me hate him even more lol

the-pi-guy

Which makes him even more stupid and me hate him even more lol
Aye.
He was on Okami.

Xevross

Jun 04, 2018, 08:51 PM Last Edit: Jun 05, 2018, 09:05 AM by Xevross
Yeah discussion about games being art is a topic that many can disagree on.

In that thread though there are people actively putting down others for thinking any game is "worthy" of that label. Or mocking people for thinking games can elicit certain emotions/experiences better than film and books. Basically thinking it's dorky to hold games in such high esteem.
Does make good games at least.
That sounds really odd to me. The kind of person on era should really appreciate games and the impact they can have. I don't understand how any true gamer can dismiss the notion that the media can ever possibly be considered art.

Dr. Pezus

That sounds really odd to me. The kind of person on era should really appreciate games and the impact they can have. I don't understand how any true gamer can dismiss the notion that the media can never possibly be considered art.
It's also an insult to the countless traditional artists that have helped make games

Legend

That sounds really odd to me. The kind of person on era should really appreciate games and the impact they can have. I don't understand how any true gamer can dismiss the notion that the media can never possibly be considered art.
Yeah it is odd which is why I thought it was worthy a thread. (I've been thinking about this since before those posts though)

Maybe it's an American thing. Pi and I seem much more aware of it than you Europeans.

Xevross

Yeah it is odd which is why I thought it was worthy a thread. (I've been thinking about this since before those posts though)

Maybe it's an American thing. Pi and I seem much more aware of it than you Europeans.
Wouldn't surprise me, can't name a more iconic duo than Americans and weird opinions :P