Recent Posts

Pages 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Off-Topic Community / Re: TV Show Thread
Last post by nnodley - Mar 26, 2024, 10:28 PM
yeah I'm hopefully gonna finish the first book soon so I can see how they adapted it.  And then move onto the 2nd and 3rd books
Last post by Legend - Mar 26, 2024, 09:53 PM
Spoilers and theory crafting for the show in general

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>I calculated that they were ~4 light years away when the alien response first came. It was cool that that ended up being true.<br><br>The aliens do not understand what a lie is, but they are not a monolith. I wonder how that works. Like the first alien that warned her to not respond, he lied to keep Earth safe. It&#39;s not like that alien warned her and then told every other alien about his crazy discovery.<br><br>Wonder if the brain rocket comes back into play, or if he&#39;s really just stuck out there till the pod fails. Future tech could retrieve him.<br><br>Pretty dumb that they rushed to launch him as a one off. It&#39;s smart to act while the will is there, but just a few more years of dev could launch a payload twice as fast.<br><br>Also pretty silly to do that at all. Put the same money towards telescopes and you could see their fleet &quot;today.&quot;<br><br>I really like the setup of future humans being a threat. That&#39;s a good way to make both sides afraid of each other. Don&#39;t know why the aliens would do their &quot;you are bugs&quot; message and reveal themselves. That&#39;d just speed up human tech, $$$ to NASA and space force.<br>
Last post by nnodley - Mar 26, 2024, 08:02 PM
I never read the book. If the second half of the season was faithful to it, then I never will.

If however they book doesn't become lame, then I'll definitely give the series a go. The first half of the show was great.

Spoiler for Hidden:

Did the third level in the game in the book also have the stars pull everyone off the planet? I enjoyed that scene, but I'm just asking since that isn't how gravity works and the rest of the early show was more accurate.

To your spoiler. Yeah if i remember correctly it happens pretty similar to that.  I think not too far after that I hadn't finished so not quite 100% on that.
Last post by Legend - Mar 26, 2024, 06:09 PM
finished 3 body problem this weekend.  It was pretty great.  Last half was a bit slower and i have only ever read the first half of the book so I don't know how that last half stacks up.  But the first half seemed to be a pretty faithful adaptation.
I never read the book. If the second half of the season was faithful to it, then I never will.

If however they book doesn't become lame, then I'll definitely give the series a go. The first half of the show was great.

Spoiler for Hidden:
<br>Did the third level in the game in the book also have the stars pull everyone off the planet? I enjoyed that scene, but I&#39;m just asking since that isn&#39;t how gravity works and the rest of the early show was more accurate.<br>
Last post by nnodley - Mar 26, 2024, 04:47 PM
finished 3 body problem this weekend.  It was pretty great.  Last half was a bit slower and i have only ever read the first half of the book so I don't know how that last half stacks up.  But the first half seemed to be a pretty faithful adaptation.
Gaming Community / Re: The Gaming Community Threa...
Last post by Legend - Mar 26, 2024, 04:24 PM
I do not understand
Off-Topic Community / Re: AI General Thread
Last post by Legend - Mar 26, 2024, 04:19 AM
Sora: First Impressions

Cool videos. They all have plenty of issues but a few of them have enough creativity/energy to be interesting in their own right, not just as a product of ai.
Last post by Legend - Mar 26, 2024, 01:57 AM
Yea for sure. If vinyl was somehow able to make a resurgence and survive, bluray will definitely survive.

I just hope video games can get lumped in with it. There's a great collectors market for physical games but right now that can only exist off regular games being sold physically too.
Last post by the-pi-guy - Mar 26, 2024, 01:46 AM
I've said this like 4x already, but physical media is in such a weird spot today.

There's been an uptick in articles like these:

Why I still buy physical media -- and bought a $450 Blu-ray player in 2023

The case for 4K Blu-ray in a world of streaming

Physical Media Still Matters in the Streaming Age and It's Time for Streamers To Embrace It

The streaming apocalypse is nigh. Some are preparing their storm shelters now.

Protecting physical media in an age of streaming

Disney has finally been putting out blu-rays and 4ks of a lot of their streaming exclusives.

Warner Bros is putting out a complete series of Succession on blu-ray, despite only the first season getting a blu-ray in the first place.  

This was neat. Apparently The Sopranos is getting remastered into 4k

Someone posted a bunch of pictures of pallets of film apparently from The Sopranos. They claim it will take quite a while before the process is done, although scanning the film was a very short process.

r/4kbluray - The Sopranos in 4K!

I'm interested to see where this all goes.

My hope is that this is the physical movie/TV space transitions into an enthusiast space. Big enough that companies still put out blu-rays. I think that's where things are heading.

Unless it's one last hurrah for physical media. But it certainly doesn't quite feel like that.

Warner Bros apparently has a Warner Archive Collection. I know it's not an interest of anyone else.  But I think it's pretty cool that Warner Bros is putting out blu-rays of 30+ year old Scooby-Doo movies. They've already announced a fourth and fifth Scooby-Doo blu-ray release just this year; coming next month. And apparently a lot more to come.  

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Scooby-Doo-and-the-Ghoul-School-Blu-ray/185750/#Overview

It's been a little nice with Best Buy getting out of physical media. Walmart has been able to gobble up a lot of their exclusives. The Walmart in my town for the first time ever actually has a selection of 4k movies and blu-rays.

I'm hoping that the Sony/Disney deal also impacts Fox.

I feel like Fox is in the worst space of physical media. At least for me personally.
Pages 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10