Hurricane Matthew

Started by Mmm_fish_tacos, Oct 06, 2016, 11:07 PM

previous topic - next topic

Mmm_fish_tacos

I spent at least 15 combined years living in FL. And over my adult life never once feared a hurricane while living there. Most of the time it's no big deal, we get a bunch of rain and we gather at someone's house and drink till it passes.  Even the ones the wrecked the south never touched us up in the north. So again we never worried. We always did talk about how we are due, as it had been 20+ years since we took a decent hit. Well here the one we've been owed, and I'm scared that come Sunday I'll not beable to talk to my friends that I grew up with. None of them left, my facebook feed has been filled with people seeming not worried. Stocking up on water and food and doing the basic things like boarding up windows and such. And now the tone of facebook as drastically changed. People seem worried. Flooding has already started at the beach in jax. There's land over the intercostal that is completely underwater. I've never seen anything like it before. And the storm is still pretty farway.  The mayor even said that this storm will kill you, Hell the weatherman said that ''if the storm goes just 20 miles more west you will die''.  1.5 million people in the evac zone and for many it's already too late.

This would have been my get out of dodge que and it's been up for a couple of days now.

Godspeed jax.  :'(

the-pi-guy

Wait. Are you in Florida now?  

Mmm_fish_tacos

the-pi-guy

Legend

Just learned about how bad this one is. Horrible news from lots of places.

Mmm_fish_tacos

Just learned about how bad this one is. Horrible news from lots of places.
The only hope I've seen so far is the eyewall is getting small it's only 14 miles wide right now. As the eye shrinks wind builds up, but it get so small it implodes on itself and forms a new wall that is much wider and has lower winds. Now these winds will still be about 115 MPH. but that's far better that 140 or 150 and this process takes a few hours so that would be some relief. But they don't know if or when it will actually happen. It could also be bad because it builds more pressure which leads to higher storm surge. Last I heard they expected a 9 foot surge.

Aura7541

I heard about its destruction over the Caribbean and it's pretty terrifying

Mmm_fish_tacos

I just read they are up to an 11 foot storm surge. Kiss you're beach good bye.

Jax beach hurricane dora 1965

That's the jax beach pier, It was repaired after this and is likely to look just like this again. There should be a lot of beach visable that isn't there.

Mmm_fish_tacos

This video explains the storm surge. It might be hard to understand the severity of this. But this is block upon blocks of flooding at the beach. If this happens it's going to destroy a huge area of land that is know as jax beach.  pretty much everything up to the intercostal will be underwater with the exception of a lucky few in the middle where the ground is high enough.

Matthew nears Florida with 130 mph winds

Mmm_fish_tacos

Its down to a 3 now. Its moved slighty east and experts are hopeful that it wont make land fall.

Mmm_fish_tacos