What do you miss about gaming in the past?

Started by Legend, Aug 19, 2018, 04:19 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Cheatcodes
Printing out cheatcodes

Not knowing a game sucks so you love it anyway.

darkknightkryta

Playing with friends, taking turns trying to get through a stage, variation in gameplays.

Ludicrous Speed

The mystery about games. Especially fighters and action games. Move lists had to be discovered and memorized. Now there are easy to find videos on the internet. Hell I remember spending tens of hours on the Tony Hawk PS1 demo not having any idea that the game had special moves. I read it in a Gamepro or Gamefan and it blew my mind.

Lack of Internet also lead to many unknown huge games. Speaking of Tony Hawk, when I asked my EB Toys or GameStop associate,  idr which store it was, if they had THPS in stock his response was basically laughter because of course they had copies, who'd wanna buy Tony Hawk you moron. Low and behold the game blew up huge. Just doesn't seem like that happens much at all anymore.

Cosmetics you'd unlock via cheat codes or by playing. My all time favorite game is probably MGS and you could unlock a tux to play the game in. Nowadays that'd be $5.

Also, car combat games.

the-pi-guy

Cheat codes > microtransactions.  

That one is absolute.  

Not cheat codes per se, but Jak and Daxter had a menu for cheats that you'd unlock through the game.  Stuff like unlimited ammo if you got 200 orbs I believe.  

Xevross

Man cheat codes were fun. Passing notes to your friends or having them round to show some that you found. Lots of couch co-op fun too.

Oh and the shaming games, I think back to so many games I loved as a kid and when I look them up I'm always shocked at how poorly they reviewed. Guess I didn't care so much back then.

Xevross

Ooh and instruction booklets/ mini game manuals with loads of pictures and detail that came in game boxes. Those were awesome

Ludicrous Speed

I also miss the gaming magazines. I used to love reading every single review for games in them. Plus they all had personality, something lacking nowadays with everything being on websites. I still have tons of old EGM, GamePro, Gamefan, etc I read while pooping. I guess GameInformer is the closest thing we have in the US and that's sad.

PSM was the shame.