Paradox focusing on 500+ hour games, interested in free2play or free2play-esque hybrids

Started by Legend, Jun 01, 2018, 06:01 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Paradox focusing on 500+ hour games, interested in free2play or free2play-esque hybrids | ResetEra

GamesIndustry.biz said:  
"If a game can't be played for 500 hours we probably shouldn't be publishing it - as a general rule," Jorjani said. "But we will still probably publish games with shorter play times, because Rome wasn't built in a day. If you want to make a Skyrim-type experience you can't start making that day one. You need something else first, and then you move on to that."Click to expand...
"If we look at the industry as a whole, the premium business model is shrinking, that part of the business is shrinking" Jorjani said, earlier in the conversation. "That doesn't mean that you can't drive or grow (within it) - we can probably do that for many more years - but as whole, our focus as a company is growth, and what's growing is free-to-play.Click to expand...
"We know that our games don't perhaps translate that well to free-to-play, so the interesting thing is where the convergence point is with the hybrid models we've seen; where there is a premium, starting price-point, but there are other ways to charge for content without upsetting everyone. That's the real challenge for the next five to ten years."Click to expand...
Source: https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...0-hours-we-probably-shouldnt-be-publishing-it  

Xevross

They're making their games shorter?!?! Oh no!

Dr. Pezus

Who even plays a single game for that long lol

Legend

Paradox players. These are big strategy games that take a long time to just do one match/playthrough. I have 90 hours in Stellaris and 57 in Cities Skylines for example.

Xevross

Paradox players. These are big strategy games that take a long time to just do one match/playthrough. I have 90 hours in Stellaris and 57 in Cities Skylines for example.
Lol yeah I was kind of exaggerating before. I have 66 hours in HOI4, 89 in Cities, 219 in EU4.

I do plan on playing Eu4 a lot more though :D

the-pi-guy

My brother and I have like 700-800 hours into Skyrim.  500 on steam.  

Im sure I have another 200+ hours on the PS3 version.  

Xevross

My brother and I have like 700-800 hours into Skyrim.  500 on steam.  

Im sure I have another 200+ hours on the PS3 version.  
I have over 900 hours in Diablo 3, that's my record.

Dr. Pezus

Ludicrous Speed

I have over 1,000 hours on Dead By Daylight, probably my most played game ever, though some DC games might rival it.

the-pi-guy

Yall crazy
I mean I don't have games where I've put 500 hours into a single save file.  
But I probably have like 6 games where I've probably done like 300-40 through replaying.  
FFX, probably a few Pokemon games, Skyrim, Age of Empires 2 (even with the HD version I think I've put like 50-70 hours, and I'm nowhere near that game's hayday for me....).  
I've got a single Skyrim save file at over 130 hours.  That wasn't even the first save file I made.

Dr. Pezus

I have enough problems even finishing games and loads of games I haven't played at all. If I spent that long on single games I'd never be able to play other games lulz

Legend

As a kid I spent 100s of hours on a single save file in rtc3.

Xevross

As a kid I spent 100s of hours on a single save file in rtc3.
I probably spent hundreds of hours in 2. Good times.

SWORDF1SH

What a bunch of nerds  ::)