Capcom FY14 Q1: ¥9.56B Revenue, ¥0.7B Profit

Started by ethomaz, Aug 17, 2014, 08:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

ethomaz

I'm copying from GAF.
Capcom Co., Ltd. would like to announce that net sales decreased to 9,575 million yen (down 45.1% from the previous year) in the 3 months of fiscal year ending March 31, 2015. As for profits, operating income increased to 1,268 million yen (up 75.3% from the previous year), and ordinary income increased to 1,223 million yen (up 6.3 % from the previous year). Net income for the current period decreased to 765 million yen (down 7.5 % from the previous year).

Capcom has promoted measures to improve earnings by reducing the cost of sales in the Mobile Contents sub-segment, etc. and cutting back on selling, general and administrative expenses, which resulted in 75.3% growth in operating income.

Revenue ¥9.56B (-45% yoy)
Opt income ¥1.22B (+75% yoy)
Net Income ¥0.7B (-7.5% yoy)

Digital Contents highlights

• a. In the Digital Contents business, "Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Trilogy" (for Nintendo 3DS) showed strong sales while "Dead Rising 3" (for Xbox One), which became a million-seller in the previous fiscal year, also remained robust. However, no major new titles were released in this period so sales focused on existing products.

•    
  • b. As for online titles, "Monster Hunter Frontier GG" (for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii U) performed steadily.

•    
  • c. In addition, the Mobile Contents sub-segment showed improvements in profitability as well as experienced favorable performance of "Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS".

•    
  • d. However, overall performance was reduced as minor titles and repeat sales accounted for most of the lineup during the period under review due to a lack of major new titles.

Platinum titles March 31 > June 30

Code: [Select]
+---------------------------------------+----------------+---------------+-------+
|                                       | March 31, 2014 | June 30, 2014 |  Dif  |
+---------------------------------------+----------------+---------------+-------+
| Dead Rising 3                         | 1200k          | 1400k         | +200k |
| Resident Evil 5                       | 6600k          | 6700k         | +100k |
| Resident Evil 6                       | 5800k          | 5900k         | +100k |
| Dead Rising 2                         | 2800k          | 2900k         | +100k |
| Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City | 2300k          | 2400k         | +100k |
| DmC Devil May Cry                     | 1500k          | 1600k         | +100k |
| Resident Evil Revelations             | 1100k          | 1200k         | +100k |

Unit sales & forecast

Capcom sales this past quarter: 50% physical, 50% digital (overall 1.4m)

They plan to release 25 SKU this FY (down from 39 last FY). They expect to sell 13m games this FY (down from 17.5m last FY).

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140731b.html
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/data/pdf/explanation/2014/1st/explanation_2014_1st_01.pdf
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Legend

They didn't lose money. Party!

Xevross

ethomaz

7 million dollars profit is profit but it is not good either.

darkknightkryta

7 million dollars profit is profit but it is not good either.

It's not totally bad though.  I'm sure Capcom has a bunch of stuff in development right as we speak for PS4 and Xbox One that might be draining resources and they still managed to profit.  When those titles release, they'll probably get way more money.  In a sideways conversation, how much more money could Capcom have made with Dead Rising 3 on the PS4?

Raven

It's not totally bad though.  I'm sure Capcom has a bunch of stuff in development right as we speak for PS4 and Xbox One that might be draining resources and they still managed to profit.  When those titles release, they'll probably get way more money.  In a sideways conversation, how much more money could Capcom have made with Dead Rising 3 on the PS4?

There's a good chance that Dead Rising 3 could have sold double the number of copies on PS4 if the ratio of interested buyers per platform was even. If that were the case considering that there was no way for anyone to know how well the PS4 was going to do, I'm sure that whatever money Microsoft paid Capcom would have been well exceeded by the number of copies the PS4 version would have sold. Though to be honest, I didn't care much for the game.

EDIT: Then again we'd have to consider how many X1 copies might not have sold if the PS4 also had the game. Though I think that ultimately would have meant little to Capcom because it still would have worked out better.

Legend

Do you guys think the dr3 deal included a clause about minimum sales or something?

That could explain it coming to PC.

Same with Ryse.

Raven

Do you guys think the dr3 deal included a clause about minimum sales or something?

Same with Ryse.

Not sure. I think the likely scenario is that the agreement between Capcom and Microsoft is that Microsoft had to foot the bill for the game in order for Capcom to agree to make it a timed exclusive. That Capcom reserved the right to put it on other platforms after a certain period of time but that they were clearly on their own for publishing it else where. This is why Microsoft is looking into changing their practices about owning something they publish like what Sony does. They are losing titles and even franchises that would have otherwise stayed exclusive by sticking with their current policy. Meanwhile, Sony is raking in the IPs. The downside for Microsoft at this point is doing it that way would make them less attractive to third parties. Being the platform that is clearly losing makes it difficult to convince people to be any kind of exclusive with you. Now telling them that you own what you publish? That would probably make it even more difficult to negotiate. Microsoft is simply in a losing situation right now.

ethomaz

EDIT: Then again we'd have to consider how many X1 copies might not have sold if the PS4 also had the game. Though I think that ultimately would have meant little to Capcom because it still would have worked out better.

Kuchera (Polygon) told me 50% of the PS4/XB1 bought both consoles... that means all Xbox One users have a PS4 :D

darkknightkryta

Same with Ryse.

Well Crytek wasn't happy at all with Ryse's sales.  Capcom seems happy so they must have kept their budget in check.  Though I agree with @Raven about Capcom making more money than what MS gave them had they made a PS4 version.  Though thinking about it some more, they didn't end up making a PS4 copy.  Maybe there was some clause MS added.  I mean, with how pissed off the execs at Crytek are, I'm sure they'd have jumped at the chance to put Ryse on the PS4.  Which makes me wonder about Tomb Raider now.  If the bull that MS' PR and CD PR have been spouting is true, there will be no PS4 version.

7H3

hmm the last capcom game I got was MvC3 Ultimate on sale $20 or used...
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend