Majora’s Mask and it’s Handling of the Apocalypse

Started by Cute Pikachu, Jan 22, 2018, 01:57 AM

previous topic - next topic

Cute Pikachu

To those who do not know what Majoras Mask is, the game is a direct sequal to the critically acclaimed Ocarina of Time. It follows a just victorious Hero of Time in search for his long lost friend, Navi. However while traveling in the woods he stumbles across a wicked Skull Kid and his Mask know as Majora. Link chases him into a world known as Termina, a word that literally has the world terminal(or end) and ia mirror world of Hyrule. Link soon finds out that Termina will soon be destroyed in 3 days by a wicked moon.

However, I wanted to talk about how the game handles apocalypticism and why it reigns surpreme in that regard. Majora's Mask is by far the most emotional Zelda or Nintendogame ever creates. While lacking in dungeons, the side quests build depth in characters through the three Days time and truly gives light into fear, Love, and guilt during an impending demise. Take for example one side quest in the game known as Anju and Kafei. These two were to be wedded the day of the Carnival of Time(the day the moon will crash) and sadly may not to get it to happen. However, we do not see emotionless robots that don't understand. The player see urgency in these two as due to shame Kafei does not return to his soon to be wife. We see throughout the quest line a guilt and sadness that these two have for not spending their final days together. Instead, you the player must get back masks that were the two lovers' gifts and reunite them before the end. I honestly thought that this was a moment that defined why Majora's Mask successfully portrayed apocalypticism splendidly. We see all these characters through the 3 day cycle change in mood and perspective as the moon draws closer to destroying them. All of these individuals exhibit doubt, but as the time of doom draws near they become more fearful for their demise.

That's why I like about Majoras Mask so much.

What do you think?
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new