Falcon Heavy Launch Thread!!! Mission success

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2017, 02:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Go Down

Legend

So when do we get the feed from Mars?
Batteries will die in just a few hours so never  :'(

(also Mars will be too far away to get any good shots of)

Legend

Elon confirmed the center core crashed. Didn't have enough lighter fluid for the two outside engines so it could only restart the center one. Hit the water at 300 mph.

DD_Bwest

so lessons learned,  need more TEB lol

im still amazed at the success,  the implications of a rocket this size for this price,   really think gov. orgs should be using  them for real deep space missions

Legend

so lessons learned,  need more TEB lol

im still amazed at the success,  the implications of a rocket this size for this price,   really think gov. orgs should be using  them for real deep space missions
We really should make a one size fits all probe design and send one to each body. Cheap launches mean we need cheap payloads. Get on it NASA!

Legend

And edited video with both booster videos and fairing separation:

Legend

Mars Society President Robert Zubrin Applauds SpaceX Falcon Heavy Success - The Mars Society - The Mars Society

"Today SpaceX achieved a spectacular and historic success.

Seven years ago, the Augustine commission said that NASA's Moon program had to be cancelled, because the development of the necessary heavy lift booster would take 12 years and 36 billion dollars.

SpaceX has now done that, on its own dime, in half the time and a twentieth of the cost. And not only that, but the launch vehicle is three quarters reusable.

This is a revolution. The naysayers have been completely refuted.

The Moon is now within reach. Mars is now within reach.

The moment is at hand to open the space frontier. America should seize the time.

And to the SpaceX team, let us offer this salute:

You did it. They said it couldn't be done, but you did it. You made it look easy, but we know it wasn't.

You took your knocks. You took your failures. But you fought it through.

Fortune favors the brave. Fortune favors the smart. But most of all, fortune favors the tough.

Talk about the right stuff. You guys are great. Hats off!"

Dr. Robert Zubrin
President & Founder, The Mars Society

darkknightkryta

Okay let me see if I get this right.  Rocket's past mars now?  Did it in like a few days?

DD_Bwest

Okay let me see if I get this right.  Rocket's past mars now?  Did it in like a few days?
no its orbit will take it past mars orbit out to the asteroid belt

its still relatively  close to earth

Legend

I think this is likely to be our generation's version of sputnik. Many people interested in space have already known a new space race was coming, but this is the mission that makes the rest of the world know about it too. The combination of launching the strongest rocket in 50 years and sending a joke to space is getting people's attention.

IDK, Mars just seems a lot closer now.

darkknightkryta

I think this is likely to be our generation's version of sputnik. Many people interested in space have already known a new space race was coming, but this is the mission that makes the rest of the world know about it too. The combination of launching the strongest rocket in 50 years and sending a joke to space is getting people's attention.

IDK, Mars just seems a lot closer now.
I wonder if Elon is doing this all as an escape plan from Earth when shame hits the fan.

DD_Bwest

grab a pair of headphones and crank it lol

Legend

grab a pair of headphones and crank it lol

I don't know why specifically but their binaural audio has never worked that well for me. The barber shop one on youtube is just so much more convincing. Cool video compared to regular ones, but I was hoping it'd be even better  ;D

Also starman meme dump:

(I said nothing about them being good memes)

Legend

SpaceX could save NASA and the future of space exploration | TheHill

SpaceX offered NASA a free ride on the Falcon Heavy test launch. NASA refused, which is why they needed to use a mass simulator. Air Force also had the option.

DD_Bwest

i can see why they would be cautious to put a payload on it,   but they really do need to start using spacex for smaller missions.  

i wanna see a smaller high isp stage tht can fit intop of the current 2nd stage.  if you have a 5t payload,   thats like 55-60 tons for an extra stage once in leo.  .. i play to much kerbals lol

Go Up