Stellaris is my game of the year

Started by Legend, Nov 12, 2017, 05:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

*it released last year but I'm just playing it now. Also the game has had lots of updates.

For those that don't know, Stellaris is a 4X like Civilization but in real time. You start with one planet and expand into the galaxy.

Civ 5 is one of my favorite games and this is better in a lot of ways.

In my current playthrough I'm a human like empire that is very xenophobic. Only good alien is a dead alien. Expand and exterminate. I had a cool event where an ancient alien race wanted me to donate some humans for their zoo because they forsaw my species as short lived. I took it as an insult and declared war back at them. I didn't take over their planets, I cleansed them. That made the rest of the galaxy really really hate me.

It's fun that you can roleplay and have the game support it. Xenophobia is tracked trait in the game.

Also fun that it's story focused. In Civ V, every country starts at the same level and city-states are just city-states. In Stellaris, empires are unique and unrestricted. Some start the game as if they've been colonizing for years. Others could start as cave men that might not even leave their planet by the end of the game. Some empires even have sci fi lore making them special.

Another cool thing is the crazy amount of game mechanics. You can design your own ships, do DNA editing, send insults to empires, set your laws, give different people different power, fight pirates that try to split from your empire, terraform, use 3 different methods of space travel, abduct people from planets for testing, destroy asteroids on course for impact, design your own species, tamper with your own elections, etc.

5/5

I like it.

BananaKing

This actually sounds interesting. Might give it a try.

I'm all for space stuff now days. Ill be getting mass effect Andromeda soon (hopefully some good black Friday deal happens) and i am reading a book called leviathan wakes from "The Expanse" series.

ethomaz

Mine is GTS.

Legend

This actually sounds interesting. Might give it a try.

I'm all for space stuff now days. Ill be getting mass effect Andromeda soon (hopefully some good black Friday deal happens) and i am reading a book called leviathan wakes from "The Expanse" series.
If you like space and Civilization games, you really should look into it. I was really impressed with all the sci fi elements of Stellaris. On repeat matches it matters way less, but on my first playthrough I loved reading all the text describing your discoveries. IE finding fossils of a super large species that used their bodies as spaceships.

I want Andromeda too. I think as long as I go in without expecting Mass Effect 4, I should enjoy it.

I'll check out leviathan wakes once it gets a tv show  ::)

BananaKing

If you like space and Civilization games, you really should look into it. I was really impressed with all the sci fi elements of Stellaris. On repeat matches it matters way less, but on my first playthrough I loved reading all the text describing your discoveries. IE finding fossils of a super large species that used their bodies as spaceships.

I want Andromeda too. I think as long as I go in without expecting Mass Effect 4, I should enjoy it.

I'll check out leviathan wakes once it gets a tv show  ::)
It already has a TV show with a high rating. It's called the expanse. I haven't watched it yet. I plan on doing so when I finish the books (all 9 of them! Lol)

Yeah my expectations aren't high for ME:A just a fun game, not something super amazing.

I'll check it out certainly, seems I might enjoy it. Not much into RTS games, but I'll check it out.

Legend

It already has a TV show with a high rating. It's called the expanse. I haven't watched it yet. I plan on doing so when I finish the books (all 9 of them! Lol)

Yeah my expectations aren't high for ME:A just a fun game, not something super amazing.

I'll check it out certainly, seems I might enjoy it. Not much into RTS games, but I'll check it out.
Oh if it's part of the expanse series then I'm already watching that show. It's great!

Buy stellaris on a sale. It's been 60% off recently.

BananaKing

Oh if it's part of the expanse series then I'm already watching that show. It's great!

Buy stellaris on a sale. It's been 60% off recently.
I'm surprised you don't like reading lol.

Legend

I'm surprised you don't like reading lol.
I've read most of Jules Verne's books but it takes way too much time for me.

the-pi-guy

I've read most of Jules Verne's books but it takes way too much time for me.
Hi Doc Brown.

/s

Xevross

I've been on the fence about Stellaris for so long, guess I'm gonna get it. My next PC game is Divinity Original Sin 2 though :D

BananaKing

So I just downloaded this game and started. Pretty complex so far. Not sure what I need to do lol. But I like the art and themes so far

Legend

So I just downloaded this game and started. Pretty complex so far. Not sure what I need to do lol. But I like the art and themes so far
Woohoo!

They keep on making huge updates to the game so if there's something you don't like, just wait a few months haha.

The music is awesome. Which race did you go with, or did you make your own?

BananaKing

Woohoo!

They keep on making huge updates to the game so if there's something you don't like, just wait a few months haha.

The music is awesome. Which race did you go with, or did you make your own?
I was about to make my own but I didn't want to come up with a name and history, and decided that choosing one with an already established lore and settings would be more fun in my first go.

I chose reptilians, forgot their name tbh lol, but I didn't want to go with the human race cause that's just boring lol.