Gigantic dev layoffs, Perfect World also shutting down Runic Games (Hob, Torchlight)

Started by Legend, Nov 04, 2017, 01:08 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Perfect World also shutting down Runic Games (Hob, Torchlight) | ResetEra

Word regarding massive layoffs at Motiga came in today, but Perfect World are also shutting down Runic Games, whom recently released Hob and made the Torchlight games in the past
Perfect World Entertainment recently closed the Seattle office of Runic Games as part of the company's continued strategy to focus on online games as a service. We're grateful to the team for all of their hard work bringing incredible experiences like Torchlight, Torchlight II and Hob to life. Runic Games will remain a part of Perfect World Entertainment's portfolio of studios, and its games will continue to be available to players, as we stay committed to supporting and growing Runic Games' beloved franchises.Click to expand...
https://kotaku.com/big-layoffs-at-studio-behind-gigantic-studio-behind-to-1820120915 Best of luck to all affected by this layoffs EDIT: Studio statement
Hey everyone, It's been over nine years since a rag-tag team of 17 developers helped open Runic Games. We've been so lucky for the community that has supported us and made us successful. Thanks to that support, we have had the chance to meet and work with the best people in the world. Our team here at Runic has released three successful games, and over that time we have seen many changes; team members got married, kids were born, but the most important thing is that we have become a family. I'm sorry to say that today will be Runic's last day open. Our focus is on our family here, and helping them find a new place to call home. If you are in games and looking for some of the best talent in the industry, please email (email protected). For those that love the Torchlight series, there will be some news coming. And for all our fans, our community and multiplayer services will keep running even after the studio's lights go off. It has been an amazing experience. To my family here at Runic, I know we won't be far from each other, and I'll miss seeing you all every week. You haven't heard the last of us, Marsh Lefler Studio HeadClick to expand...

Legend

Most people didn't expect gigantic to sell well but it's stupid how many devs are closing shop nowadays. How can publishers greenlight projects that are so risky?

darkknightkryta

Most people didn't expect gigantic to sell well but it's stupid how many devs are closing shop nowadays. How can publishers greenlight projects that are so risky?
Industry will collapse if they don't.  I don't think people realize how little money games make.  Sure there are the few that are cash cows, but not every publisher has those.  The ones that do (Activision) pretty much stopped making anything else.

Legend

Industry will collapse if they don't.  I don't think people realize how little money games make.  Sure there are the few that are cash cows, but not every publisher has those.  The ones that do (Activision) pretty much stopped making anything else.
Industry will collapse if they do.

Games need to be made for less. Cut down on fluff and spend more time on work flow. A game like Hellblade cost a fraction of most AAA games to develop yet for consumers it's near AAA level.

Cash cows are the problem imo because publishers are focusing on them. They make super expensive games in the hope they make millions, instead of making them just to make some profit.

darkknightkryta

Industry will collapse if they do.

Games need to be made for less. Cut down on fluff and spend more time on work flow. A game like Hellblade cost a fraction of most AAA games to develop yet for consumers it's near AAA level.

Cash cows are the problem imo because publishers are focusing on them. They make super expensive games in the hope they make millions, instead of making them just to make some profit.

I agree games are mismanaged, but they have to make new ips to survive.

Ludicrous Speed

It's a solid moba game but was in development for a long time and there are too many other better alternatives.

A shame, it does enough different things to feel fresh. But I can't imagine they were making much off of microtransactions and starter pack sales.