The Switch version of L.A Noire will cost $10 more than the Xbox One/PS4 versions

Started by SWORDF1SH, Sep 08, 2017, 08:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

SWORDF1SH

The price for the game has also been revealed for the European version and it is slightly expensive on the Switch even though there is no Ultra HD version of the game. For the PS4 and Xbox One version, the game will retail for €39.99, while the Nintendo Switch version will cost you €49.99.

Read more at: L.A Noire Boxart For PS4 And Xbox One Confirm UHD Support, Slightly Expensive On Switch

Dr. Pezus

SWORDF1SH

What why?
I'm guessing format they'll have to use. But that doesn't justify $10. Other than that I don't know.
What cut do Nintendo get from 3rd party publishers sales? Is it more than what Sony and Microsoft request?

Legend

I'm guessing format they'll have to use. But that doesn't justify $10. Other than that I don't know.
What cut do Nintendo get from 3rd party publishers sales? Is it more than what Sony and Microsoft request?
It's the same. Otherwise you'd have heard a huge uproar.

darkknightkryta

I'm guessing the struggle to get the Switch version running must have been real.

Ludicrous Speed

Smart business. Hasn't this been normal on Switch?

the-pi-guy

Legend

But discs are super cheap.

The first source on Google said $2 for the disc. 60% more is only $1.20 extra. Yet the game is priced $10 more.

The cartridge cost is probably the main reason the game costs more, but it's not that good of a justification.

the-pi-guy

But discs are super cheap.

The first source on Google said $2 for the disc. 60% more is only $1.20 extra. Yet the game is priced $10 more.

The cartridge cost is probably the main reason the game costs more, but it's not that good of a justification.

I think the 2$ is just the stamping costs.
I'm not sure how accurate this post is, but it seems reasonable I think;.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  LA Noire might be $10 more expensive on Switch due to cartridges

Zhuge's numbers make sense. The actual third party costs on a serviced packaged (from stamp to ship) is going to be in the neighborhood of 9-12$. The costs of a serviced packaged for a 32GB card being ~60% put you on the upper bound of ~7-8$ added already just from that linear increase. Because retail cut is also based on a flat percentage, not a flat number, the increased cost of the package at retail (say, marked up to 45-48$ from BRDVD $40), results in a ~1-4$ markup added for retailer cut. $40+8+2 ~= 50$USD I'm actually surprised that the 32GB Masked ROM is actually that cheap, or that the 8GB is flat with BRDVD stamping + serviced package costs. Nintendo has to be eating some losses on these ROMs to make that lower end 8GB parity make sense.

Legend

Sep 09, 2017, 07:17 PM Last Edit: Sep 09, 2017, 07:20 PM by Legend
I think the 2$ is just the stamping costs.
I'm not sure how accurate this post is, but it seems reasonable I think;.

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  LA Noire might be $10 more expensive on Switch due to cartridges

I read it to mean just the cart cost itself, not the lump sum of all costs related to making a physical product.

Even still, this link says it was only ~$4 last generation Anatomy of a $60 video game | Company Town | Los Angeles Times

I wouldn't be that surprised if it costs slightly more, but the main thing IMO is that the publisher will still make more on the switch version than on the PS4XBO versions.