Future Nintendo Switch Games May Require MicroSD Cards To Access All Content

Started by SWORDF1SH, Sep 05, 2017, 03:43 PM

previous topic - next topic

SWORDF1SH

The game is NBA 2K18, which has been revealed to have new Switch box art with a clear label that says a MicroSD card is required. Nintendo is getting out in front of this issue, revealing the news alongside an actual partnership with SanDisk, which is rather clever.
It's not as if these games won't function at all without the extra storage space. Nintendo makes it clear that portions of the game will work even without an SD card, but which portions will vary from game to game, and clearly for any of these titles, it's going to be wise to have an SD card to access the full release.

Forbes

darkknightkryta

Nintendo or EA, I seriously wonder who's worse.

Xevross

Why is this? Hard drive not big enough?

BananaKing

Nintendo or EA, I seriously wonder who's worse.
Nintendo quite easily.

SWORDF1SH

Basically

Legend

Basically
It's because the publishers don't want to pay for the cards.

Nintendo game cards can go up to 32GB currently. NBA 2K18 is only around ~25GB. They are using the 16GB card to save money on manufacturing.

SWORDF1SH

It's because the publishers don't want to pay for the cards.

Nintendo game cards can go up to 32GB currently. NBA 2K18 is only around ~25GB. They are using the 16GB card to save money on manufacturing.

I thought it was because every game has to be installed to the console like every PS4 and Xbox One game. At least that's what the article blames.

Legend

I thought it was because every game has to be installed to the console like every PS4 and Xbox One game. At least that's what the article blames.
Nope that's not true.

Switch games run off the game cartridge by default.

SWORDF1SH

Sep 05, 2017, 07:40 PM Last Edit: Sep 05, 2017, 07:52 PM by SWORDF1SH
Nope that's not true.

Switch games run off the game cartridge by default.
I know Nintendo want 3rd party games but they should not allow the publishers to do this.

Legend

I know Nintendo want 3rd party games but they should not allow the publishers to do this then.
Yeah it's a weird middle ground between physical and digital games. Better than forcing all digital at least.

darkknightkryta

I know Nintendo want 3rd party games but they should not allow the publishers to do this.
The article also say partnership with scandisk. Sounds like buckshot business tactics to force you to buy scandisk cards.