XBONX vs PS4 Pro: Rise of the tomb raider

Started by Legend, Aug 26, 2017, 06:03 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

ethomaz

Looks nice.

SWORDF1SH

A decent enough upgrade from the Pro to justify the Xs price.

nnodley

Eh, pausing and looking closely I fail to see a huge upgrade.  PS4 Pro is slightly softer in 4k mode compared to One X.  The enriched visuals look almost completely identical to me with the Xbox One X missing DOF which is odd. 

ethomaz

It is funny that GAFers discovered that dirt texture on face and body are dynamically generated by your play... that means the big differences in DF video are only different dynamic textures/effects.

darkknightkryta

It is funny that GAFers discovered that dirt texture on face and body are dynamically generated by your play... that means the big differences in DF video are only different dynamic textures/effects.
No console is powerful enough for the 4k textures.  Checkerboard rendering as is gives you something very close to 4k's image quality.  Though I'd like to know if the "low res" look for Tomb Raider on PS4 pro and I'm assuming Xbox One X (I didn't actually look at the comparison but your comments make it sound like they're the same) is because of the overall lower resolution textures vs the 4k textures on PC

ethomaz

No console is powerful enough for the 4k textures.  Checkerboard rendering as is gives you something very close to 4k's image quality.  Though I'd like to know if the "low res" look for Tomb Raider on PS4 pro and I'm assuming Xbox One X (I didn't actually look at the comparison but your comments make it sound like they're the same) is because of the overall lower resolution textures vs the 4k textures on PC
Not exactly the same... some places XB1X has better texture than Pro similar to very high on PC while others places the texture is close to Pro (High/Medium) than PC very high.

The difference is way lower than what the video shows because XB1X is using dirt textures while PC/Pro not... if you roll on ground and take some shots on Pro/PC before the screen part you will get a picture near the XB1X with dirt with PC being the best and Pro the worst but not the huge difference showed in the video comparison.

ethomaz

Aug 30, 2017, 03:04 PM Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 03:12 PM by ethomaz
A guy on GAF did the same picture with different dirt on PC.

DoF disabled, SMAA.

DoF On/Off (what makes the XB1X looks sharper... PS4/PC has DoF enabled while XB1X not on DF comparision)

ethomaz

Aug 30, 2017, 03:14 PM Last Edit: Aug 30, 2017, 03:33 PM by ethomaz
Looks like DF updated the article with a better comparison.

DoF is enabled on Pro... not on XB1X and PC but it and FXAA are what make the Pro shot blurry.

nnodley

PC still looks the best slightly.  I wonder what the reasoning is for leaving DOF and FXAA off on One X

Honestly if DOF and FXAA was turned off on ps4 pro I bet there wouldn't even be that big of a difference between any of them.

Kerotan

Still haven't bought this.  Will get it when it's $10 or under on sale or free with ps plus and that's only if I get through most of my backlog.