PS4 Pro has an additional 1GB of DDR3 RAM for non-gaming apps

Started by Aura7541, Oct 20, 2016, 10:38 PM

previous topic - next topic

Aura7541

Inside PlayStation 4 Pro: How Sony made the first 4K games console • Eurogamer.net

"We felt games needed a little more memory - about 10 per cent more - so we added a gigabyte of slow, conventional DRAM to the console," Cerny reveals, confirming that it's DDR3 in nature. "On a standard model, if you're switching between an application, such as Netflix, and a game, Netflix is still in system memory even when you're playing the game. We use that architecture because it allows for a very quick swap between applications. Nothing needs to be loaded, it's already in memory."

Some might say it's an extravagant use of the PS4's fast GDDR5 memory, so the extra DDR3 memory in the Pro is used to store non-critical apps, opening up more RAM for game developers.

Legend

I'm learning so many new things today!

Didn't the standard PS4 have half a gig of DDR3 for background stuff?

Aura7541

I think that was only used when it is on standby. In this scenario, the additional DDR3 is used when the Pro is on.

I like this setup and it doesn't add much to the costs. Hopefully Sony goes with this kind of RAM configuration for the PS5, too.

the-pi-guy

This article talks about it.  
Sony PlayStation 4 Torn Down, Reveals Secondary ARM Processor And 2 Gb RAM Chip | NextPowerUp

SWORDF1SH

Interesting stuff. Shame this isn't in the standard PS4 because I hate the thought of extra GPU developers could but can't just to keep things like Netflix on standby.

Mmm_fish_tacos

I mean why not 4?