Programming Thread

Started by the-pi-guy, Mar 13, 2016, 10:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Legend

I had a really challenging thing I was working on.

Decided to just delete it, yolo. Who needs doors in a video game anyway?

the-pi-guy

I had a really challenging thing I was working on.

Decided to just delete it, yolo. Who needs doors in a video game anyway?
Uh huh

Naughty Dog Lead Animator:

Naughty Dog Game Director:

Legend

I didn't expect you to go and get all those tweets lol but yeah that's what I'm referencing.

Although doors are pretty easy cause I'm in first person. The actual thing I deleted was hallways   8)

the-pi-guy

I didn't expect you to go and get all those tweets lol but yeah that's what I'm referencing.
I was thinking to say "Naughty Dog does, see?" And obnoxiously post all the tweets.

But I mostly just left it at obnoxiously posting all the tweets because it's a fun read.

kitler53

i don't think i've ever played a game where the door opens in instead of out (outside of a cut scene maybe) but i've certainly noticed the "double hinged doors" before in a bad way.  

also i'm really tired of the lack of diversity in doors in games.   why are they always opaque and hinged.  in real life there are:
hinged doors (opaque)
- hinged doors with windows in them
- french doors
- bi-fold doors
- sliding patio doors
- they kind where the top half operated independantly of the bottom half
- storm doors on top of regular doors
- pocket doors
- barn doors
- doggie doors

so are game developers all door racists or just too lazy??

/s

Featured Artist: Vanessa Hudgens

Legend

lol years ago I had saved a twitter post from a research scientist since I'd eventually need to implement it.

His solution lead me down a complex rabbit hole so I ended up just brute forcing it with gradient descent. Was about to implement a massive 1GB lookup table since close enough was good enough and none of this was shipping in the game.

Then I discovered a stupidly simple and fast solution. Just a few lines of code that do exactly what I want. It's painfully incredibly obvious in hindsight and I don't know why the research scientist didn't just mention/use it.

i don't think i've ever played a game where the door opens in instead of out (outside of a cut scene maybe) but i've certainly noticed the "double hinged doors" before in a bad way.  

also i'm really tired of the lack of diversity in doors in games.   why are they always opaque and hinged.  in real life there are:
- hinged doors (opaque)
- hinged doors with windows in them
- french doors
- bi-fold doors
- sliding patio doors
- they kind where the top half operated independantly of the bottom half
- storm doors on top of regular doors
- pocket doors
- barn doors
- doggie doors

so are game developers all door racists or just too lazy??

/s

That's gonna distract me the next time I play a game, thanks.

I don't think I've ever seen a sliding door in a game.

Legend

Oct 12, 2023, 06:01 AM Last Edit: Oct 12, 2023, 08:43 AM by Legend
This might be a bit more math than programming, but I randomly discovered a fractal today.

Don't know what this type of fractal is called. Instead of expanding to infinity like the julia set, all of the values converge to the same number. Floating point imprecision eventually rounds everything to exactly the same number but if you cut it off a few iterations before that you get a bunch of different groups.

Also it's not a true fractal but I made this which is cool.

I did a big "special" function on each pixel's complex number and then did the inverse function. If the result matched the initial number with enough precision it was discarded, otherwise it was given a solid color from left to right. Zoom in and you'll see that all shading is just a result of discarded pixels.

Both of these designs happened while I was debugging stuff, but the fractal is pretty fun so I programmed something to render a zoom video. Will finish rendering eventually...

and done

Has a lot more variety than most fractal zooms I've seen. Colors pop around a bit at the start of the video since it maximizes contrast depending on visible regions.

the-pi-guy

I think I finally have a good script to add hundreds of subtitles to videos.

the-pi-guy

I think I finally have a good script to add hundreds of subtitles to videos.
Oof a month on.

Still difficult to automate, and I have like 500 episodes that need subtitles.  Came up with a better way last night, and ended up sleeping poorly because of it.  

Legend

Why is it so difficult in Unity to just get data where I want it?

I cry every time  :'(

Legend

Ideally this is just a temp solution, but I'm "serializing" this data into c# code lol.

Legend

Wow first time I've had this typo.

float a=b-=c

Didn't notice the second = and had no freaking clue why the chunk containing this code was breaking things. I thought it would have produced a compiler error but I guess it must be a similar thing to a=b++c

the-pi-guy

Wow first time I've had this typo.

float a=b-=c

Didn't notice the second = and had no freaking clue why the chunk containing this code was breaking things. I thought it would have produced a compiler error but I guess it must be a similar thing to a=b++c
Yeah, it becomes:
b = b - c
a = b

Legend

Yeah, it becomes:
b = b - c
a = b
Funny I never encountered it before, yet I've seen many things about a=b++ vs a=++b

Go Up