PS4 Firmware v3.0 is Currently Beta Tested

Started by Aura7541, Aug 11, 2015, 03:51 PM

previous topic - next topic

Aura7541

Aug 11, 2015, 03:51 PM Last Edit: Aug 11, 2015, 03:53 PM by Aura7541
NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Playstation 4 firmware Ver.3.0 is currently beta tested
Quote from: crinale
http://pocketnews.cocolog-nifty.com/...4300-d2c6.html

I did rough translation.
Lock if old

- "Event" menu is added that allows you to find events related to Playstation, join them and watch them.
- "Community" is added to "friend" menu that allows you to make new community or join existing ones.
-  "Now Playing" is added to "friend", "community", "message" and profile screen that allows you to display games members are currently playing.  You can request to join their games or  request to broadcast the game.
- "Message" function has been improved that it displays "now playing" and allows you to start party easily.  You can add groups to your favorite list
- You can broadcast via Youtube
- You can upload short (10 sec) game clips to twitter. Also there's a mention about creating sub account for kids, parental controls and such.

Broadcasting via YouTube is the most interesting one to me, especially since The Verge said that YouTube is better at live streaming than Twitch. Here's a snippet of the article:

Quote from: The Verge
In 2015, YouTube's live streams of The International have been pretty much flawless. 1080p resolution, 60 frames per second, always there when you need them. The gap in quality that existed has now been bridged, and YouTube stands as Twitch's equal in pure technical terms. But you can't beat Twitch by just being as good, and the thing that drew me to YouTube this year was the extra functionality on offer from Google's video service.

On YouTube, I can rewind a live stream to watch anything I might have missed over the previous two hours. This made it possible for me to start watching The International 90 minutes late and still get the full experience of the show. In fact, I would often join the stream late just so I could have a buffer of time, which I would later use to skip past the breaks between matches. YouTube isn't the only streaming service to feature this sort of built-in DVR, but it is the only one to offer it for TI5.

What I'm getting from YouTube is a sort of hybrid between its own strength of on-demand video and Twitch's live streaming. If Twitch is regular TV, YouTube is TV with a basic TiVo box attached to it. It helps me make the most of my time by letting me manipulate the time of the stuff I am watching. Especially in the earlier stages of The International, where multiple matches would be going on at the same time, YouTube was a brilliant help in letting me jump between contests without missing out on anything. And the fear of missing out is a big enough problem on the web to have become a recognized acronym: FOMO.

the-pi-guy

That's disappointing.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

Community sounds cool. I hope that isn't the whole update.

Aura7541

Yeah, it's still missing folders, custom backgrounds, and PNG capture.

Legend

Smart to have the beta so early. Didn't 2.0 brick a few people?

ethomaz

That's disappointing.  
Exactly opposite here.

Destiny will grow even more with this feature... LFG now native on PS4... amazing news.

My chertz comment.

God this community feature is all about what I wanted for Destiny... I was thinking now how I can even search for LFG ingame without need a web browser.

That will add more social features to games.

Amazing news.

darkknightkryta

It's honestly enough.  The Street Fighter community is either gonna be amazing or terrible (elitist assholes)

Mmm_fish_tacos

It's honestly enough.  The Street Fighter community is either gonna be amazing or terrible (elitist assholes)
Well I had a guy send me a message after a fight yesterday. He was nice.

the-pi-guy

Exactly opposite here.

Destiny will grow even more with this feature... LFG now native on PS4... amazing news.

My chertz comment.
I'm not a big fan of online stuff.  I've owned my PS4 for a year, and have never played an online game with any one and only once went into a group chat.  

Mmm_fish_tacos

I'm not a big fan of online stuff.  I've owned my PS4 for a year, and have never played an online game with any one and only once went into a group chat.  
Thats because you hate us. :(

the-pi-guy

Thats because you hate us. :(
Nope.  I just do my own thing!   :P
No one invites me, and I don't have many online games anyway.  

Aura7541

Nope.  I just do my own thing!   :P
No one invites me, and I don't have many online games anyway.  
I'm on the same boat as you. I'm basically a single-player hermit >_<

Mmm_fish_tacos

I'm pretty sure you don't need to be invited to our parties.

the-pi-guy

I'm pretty sure you don't need to be invited to our parties.
I don't need to be. :P
I'm just a hermit though. :D

Mmm_fish_tacos

I don't need to be. :P
I'm just a hermit though. :D
Well stop it!