Yuji Horii: Dragon Quest XI will be an offline game on home console.

Started by Aura7541, Jul 04, 2015, 03:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Aura7541

Yuji Horii, creator of the Dragon Quest series, stated that Dragon Quest XI will be an offline game on home console in an interview with FFRing, a Final Fantasy fan-site.

Quote from: English Translation
What about Dragon Quest XI? Have you prepared something special to celebrate the 30th anniversary? Will it be an online game?

Horii: "(Laughs.) Nothing is decided! But yes, we are preparing something. We can't say anything right now, but yes, we're working on it. One thing is certain: Dragon Quest XI will be an offline game. But we'll have more information on that front soon."

Does the real-time combat of Dragon Quest Heroes make you want to evolve the gameplay for the mainline series of games? Like what Square Enix is doing with the Final Fantasy series?

Horii: "No, Dragon Quest XI will be a return to the traditional mechanics of Dragon Quest. If we do another action RPG, it will be in the Dragon Quest Heroes series. We want to differentiate those two types of games."

Will Dragon Quest VII and VIII for 3DS be released in the west at any point? Many fans want them.

Horii: "(Laughs.) We hear and read that a lot of fans are indeed passionate about these games, and we're thinking about it."

Square Enix announced a remake for Final Fantasy VII. What is the possibility we'll see a similar large-scale remake for Dragon Quest games like Dragon Quest III?

Horii: "There isn't anything planned at the moment, but there is a possibility for it in the future."

What's your opinion on smartphone games?

Horii: "I don't think that the success of smartphone games should be a reason to only make games for smartphones. I really think that games have to be designed for different platforms. Dragon Quest XI will, for example, be a game designed for home console because it will be designed for a controller."

A few years ago, you made Dragon Quest Swords, a first-person Wii adventure game where use of the Wii Remote was very important. Does the age of virtual reality make you want to experiment with new concepts such as this?

Horii: "It's amazing! I personally had the opportunity to try Project Morpheus, and it's a very strange feeling. I really felt there was a girl next to me. Another demo had a shark, which was very impressive and realistic. If time allows it, I'd really like to make a Dragon Quest game using this technology."
Credit goes of GAF and Gematsu.

darkknightkryta

Still, I hope they just reveal the thing already.

Aura7541

Still, I hope they just reveal the thing already.
Same here. It appears that Square Enix is really trying to revitalize the home console market in Japan with games like FFVII: Re, Star Ocean 5, and Nier 2. I wonder if Dragon Quest XI will be PS4-only. The FFVII: Re turned out to be a megaton in Japan and the PS4 needs more megatons in order to match the PS3's performance.

Cute Pikachu

PS4/WIIU or bust,
let the ps3 die peacefully.
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Aura7541

PS4/WIIU or bust,
let the ps3 die peacefully.
Considering how long it's going to take for DQXI to come out, I think PS4/NX will be the most ideal.

Cute Pikachu

Considering how long it's going to take for DQXI to come out, I think PS4/NX will be the most ideal.
True
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

ethomaz

lol I'm reading already.

DQ XI confirmed to PS4.