PS Vita was murdered by Sony

Started by Legend, Apr 18, 2018, 08:45 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Really great video in my opinion. I hadn't fully realised just how fast Sony accepted defeat.

Dr. Pezus

Haven't watched yet but I think Sony did the right thing in the end. Even psp probably wasn't very profitable for them despite selling like 80m. If they had put more effort into vita, perhaps ps4 would be a lesser console for it too

the-pi-guy

With the Switch being successful, it means that I get the final laugh.  

And least that's how it feels lately.  

darkknightkryta

I haven't watched it either, but how much money did people expect Sony to spend?  God knows what it cost to get Activision to make a portable Call of Duty and to get Ubisoft to make an Assassins Creed.  Between that, launch titles, marketing, r&d, Sony probably spent half a billion dollars in the Vita's first year alone.  Plus all the ports to the console that Sony paid for in the later years.  

the-pi-guy

I haven't watched it either, but how much money did people expect Sony to spend?  God knows what it cost to get Activision to make a portable Call of Duty and to get Ubisoft to make an Assassins Creed.  Between that, launch titles, marketing, r&d, Sony probably spent half a billion dollars in the Vita's first year alone.  Plus all the ports to the console that Sony paid for in the later years.  
Well the first year of any console is always a huge investment. For the reason you gave.  

It was the same with the PS3, PS2, etc.  Sony (reportedly) lost $250 a system for the PS3, when it came out.  

The point isn't that Sony should be losing all this money to force a system to become successful, but that they didn't really give the system a fair shot in the first place.

How many people are willing to spend:
-$250 on the hardware
-$50 on a memory card

just to play the worst CoD ever, the (probably) worst Modnation Racers ever, etc.  

Vita has tons of stuff for people that like certain types of games, but for someone who plays games like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc.  Out of all the mainstream games that are successful, it had maybe 1 okay game.

So for those people it was like $300 console investment just to play 1 okay game.  

darkknightkryta

Well the first year of any console is always a huge investment. For the reason you gave.  

It was the same with the PS3, PS2, etc.  Sony (reportedly) lost $250 a system for the PS3, when it came out.  

The point isn't that Sony should be losing all this money to force a system to become successful, but that they didn't really give the system a fair shot in the first place.

How many people are willing to spend:
-$250 on the hardware
-$50 on a memory card

just to play the worst CoD ever, the (probably) worst Modnation Racers ever, etc.  

Vita has tons of stuff for people that like certain types of games, but for someone who plays games like Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, etc.  Out of all the mainstream games that are successful, it had maybe 1 okay game.

So for those people it was like $300 console investment just to play 1 okay game.  
Quality wasn't Sony's issue.  That was Ubisoft and Activison.  Their IPs.  Sony put a full fledged Uncharted at launch.  Gravity Rush is one of my most favourite games ever. There was a lot of new and a lot of old.  It was a few years in when Sony made the call to turn support into porting games.  Let the ps4 die or fight a losing battle they weren't gong to win.  Vita's library was never its issue.  Hell your talk now about "1 okay game" is the issue.  I can make the same claim about the Switch.  

Legend

Quality wasn't Sony's issue.  That was Ubisoft and Activison.  Their IPs.  Sony put a full fledged Uncharted at launch.  Gravity Rush is one of my most favourite games ever. There was a lot of new and a lot of old.  It was a few years in when Sony made the call to turn support into porting games.  Let the ps4 die or fight a losing battle they weren't gong to win.  Vita's library was never its issue.  Hell your talk now about "1 okay game" is the issue.  I can make the same claim about the Switch.  
Zelda is far from 1 ok game. Not only is it considered incredibly good, but it's also incredibly large. It could keep owners happy for a long time.

Also you should watch the video. It's from the perspective of someone who loves the system and would agree that Vita had some great games.

the-pi-guy

I'm not saying it has 1 okay game.
It has many great games, but not many that were mainstream.  

the-pi-guy

3DS first few months of sales:

April 2011:

Wii - 172K
Xbox 360 - 297K
PS3 - 204.3K
NDS - 357K
3DS - 194K

May 2011:
Wii - 236K
Xbox 360 - 270K
PS3 - 177K
3DS - 97K

June 2011:
Wii - 273k
Xbox 360 - 507k
PS3 - 276k
NDS - 243k
3DS - 143k

July 2011:

Xbox 360: 277K (-37.5%)
Wii: 190K (-25%)
PS3: 148k (-31%)

"Regarding the 3DS, we can determine that the system sold no more than 114,000 units in the United States last month."

August 2011:
Wii - 190,000
Xbox 360 - 308,000
PS3 - 218,000
3DS - 235,000   (3DS price cut from $250 to $169)

Vita first months:

February 2012:
Xbox 360 - 426k
PS3 - 360k
Wii - 228k
3DS - 262k
PS Vita - 225k
DS - 135k

March 2012:
Xbox 360 - 371K
PS3 - 337K
Wii - 175K
3DS - 225K
PS Vita - 200k+ (under 225k)

Xevross

Yeah the point is that the vast majority of Vita's quality games are very niche. The games that might appeal to the mainstream, and attract people to buying vitas, turned out to be mediocre in their vast majority.

The same definitely cannot be said for Switch or 3DS. They both have far more quality, appealing games than the Vita. And the Switch has only been around for one year.

Dr. Pezus

3DS first few months of sales:

April 2011:

Wii - 172K
Xbox 360 - 297K
PS3 - 204.3K
NDS - 357K
3DS - 194K

May 2011:
Wii - 236K
Xbox 360 - 270K
PS3 - 177K
3DS - 97K

June 2011:
Wii - 273k
Xbox 360 - 507k
PS3 - 276k
NDS - 243k
3DS - 143k

July 2011:

Xbox 360: 277K (-37.5%)
Wii: 190K (-25%)
PS3: 148k (-31%)

"Regarding the 3DS, we can determine that the system sold no more than 114,000 units in the United States last month."

August 2011:
Wii - 190,000
Xbox 360 - 308,000
PS3 - 218,000
3DS - 235,000   (3DS price cut from $250 to $169)

Vita first months:

February 2012:
Xbox 360 - 426k
PS3 - 360k
Wii - 228k
3DS - 262k
PS Vita - 225k
DS - 135k

March 2012:
Xbox 360 - 371K
PS3 - 337K
Wii - 175K
3DS - 225K
PS Vita - 200k+ (under 225k)
Sony should've responded with a price cut for the system and memory cards. I wonder what Nintendo was thinking with that launch price though lol. Glad it failed at launch

Legend

Sony should've responded with a price cut for the system and memory cards. I wonder what Nintendo was thinking with that launch price though lol. Glad it failed at launch
PS Vita was set to slay against a $250 3DS. It seemed like Sony planned for Nintendo to stay arrogant instead of fighting back.

I do wonder if we'll get a PS Vita 2 thanks to the switch. Heck it could even just be a revision of the PS Vita that's much better with remote play and mimicking the PS5 controller.

the-pi-guy

PS Vita was set to slay against a $250 3DS. It seemed like Sony planned for Nintendo to stay arrogant instead of fighting back.
Yeah.  I remember the days when people thought the Vita might have won.  Literally went down the toilet with the huge pricecut.