A Look at Octopath Traveller’s Sales

Started by Cute Pikachu, Jul 27, 2018, 08:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Cute Pikachu

Jul 27, 2018, 08:48 PM Last Edit: Jul 28, 2018, 01:14 AM by Cute Pikachu
Normally I don't make these threads much unless something really surprises but Octopath Traveller May be the surprise hit of the year if not summer.

Let's look at the numbers:

Japan(Media Create): 110k+20k second week to have 130k total so far known.

Alright now you may be thinking that these are not impressive and it may not seem so at first, BUT, there's one catch. The game is experiencing severe stock problems. Square had to publicly apologize twice for the stock issues. These stock issues are so severe that predictor YSO thinks it'll have an increase in its week 3(RPGS and second hand market usually mean a lack of legs so big deal). It seems the game has done well digitally as it has been ahead of the newly released version of Minecraft which does very well in Japan.

UK: The game had a debut of around 11k and doubled the debut of Bravely Default(another breakout hit).  The game also has stock issues and surprisingly only had a 60% drop week over week which is very mild for the JRPG genre there(usually 80%+) so total sales known are 15k.

Spain: Has just released numbers and showed the game had a bigger debut there then in the UK, it sold 11,700 in three days. Not to stir anything but that is a bigger opening then any turn based RPG not Final Fantasy or Pokémon.

US: NPD isn't out yet but insider Benji or Resetera has already said it is the biggest third party success on Switch since Mario and Rabbids(which sold very well cause it had Mario and it got great reviews).

France and Germany are unknown but it did debut at number 1 in value in France.

I wanted to make this thread because honestly this makes me really happy. I'm happy to see many people being receptive to a game that tries to convey the gameplay and design of old school JRPGS. Also seeing a new IP succeed is always awesome.

Overall in Europe, Middle East, and Africa it debuted at number two behind FIFA despite not including digital sales and the ending of the World Cup.

Hopefully it gets stocked(since it's literally out of stock in almost every market).

1 Million should easily be passed, but where will it land after that? Who knows!
The Vizioneck Nintendo Fanboy!

Switch Software Sales Guide:
http://vizioneck.com/forum/index.php?topic=5895.msg218699#new

Legend

Nintendo fans kept acting like this was a huge exclusive. Turns out they were right. It's doing incredible and everyone seems to love it.

DerNebel

This shame doesn't deserve it's own thread, but then again 80% of the threads on vizioneck nowadays are straight copies from resetera threads, which this isn't, so I guess that's something...

the-pi-guy

This shame doesn't deserve it's own thread, but then again 80% of the threads on vizioneck nowadays are straight copies from resetera threads, which this isn't, so I guess that's something...
News is news.  
They make it easy when a game is announced.  

DerNebel

News is news.  
They make it easy when a game is announced.  
Not every piece of news needs its own dedicated thread. Especially on a small forum like this.

Cute Pikachu

Thanks for calling my OP shame. I just thought it was interesting to talk about. There hasn't been any news since E3.

Dr. Pezus

Thanks for calling my OP shame. I just thought it was interesting to talk about. There hasn't been any news since E3.
It's a good thread!

Cute Pikachu

It's a good thread!
I just wanted to post about it since it's performing better than most people's expectations. It's not everyday you see a new JRPG IP break out like this.

Xevross

Yeah it's really doing well and I'm happy about that. I need to get around to playing it!

darkknightkryta

I don't have time to play it :(