Kotaku: The PlayStation 5 Is Still A Ways Off

Started by Legend, Apr 10, 2018, 07:11 PM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Kotaku: The PlayStation 5 Is Still A Ways Off | ResetEra

Kotaku by jschreier
A recent online rumor got people buzzing about a possible 2018 release of PlayStation 5, but that's probably not going to happen. In fact, from what we've heard, the next PlayStation is a ways away--it may not arrive until 2020. It's been nearly five years since the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One launched, which has triggered bouts of nervousness and excitement among video game fans who want to know when they'll have to start hoarding pennies for a new generation of consoles. The PS4 launched seven years after the PS3, the Xbox One eight years after the Xbox 360. It's not unreasonable to be thinking about the next generation. We don't have a concrete answer just yet, but we have been asking around, and what we've heard is a whole lot of uncertainty. Over the past month, I've spoken to dozens of game developers, across a variety of disciplines and studios, about the next generation of consoles. Of those, two people said they were directly familiar with plans for Sony's new console. Those two people both told me that the next PlayStation is unlikely to release in 2019, let alone 2018, although they were careful to be clear that these plans are always shifting. "On a multi-year project, a lot can happen to shift schedules both forward and backward," one person said. "At some point, Sony's probably looked at every possible date. It's all about what they think is the best sweet spot in terms of hardware." A surprise move by Microsoft or another competitor, for example, could trigger a change in plans. Most of the developers I spoke to, via phone and email and text, said they had not heard anything about plans for a new PlayStation. Even employees at Sony's first-party studios said they have not yet been briefed on the existence of a PlayStation 5. People across all the disciplines (design, art, engineering, etc.) at major studios working on games scheduled for 2019 and beyond have told me that if there is information about the PS5 at their companies, they haven't heard about it. (Those people said they haven't heard about a new Xbox, either.) In summary: There is information about the PlayStation 5 floating around at both first- and third-party companies, but it's far more limited than it would be if the console's release was imminent.Click to expand...
More at the link.  

Xevross

Hooray! I feel like first parties would know more if it was next year even, so this is good.

the-pi-guy

darkknightkryta

I'm sure fist parties wouldn't dare break any nda, but with that said, I don't think we'll see new hardware until 8 years after the PS4s launch.  Sony's console cycle has gotten longer by one year since the PSX.  Hardware just changes way to slowly.

SWORDF1SH

2018 was never likely but I still think 2019 is possible. That'll put the Pro bang in the middle of the generation.

I also think it'll be a much smoother transition with the PS5 not treading on the toes of the PS4 too much.
Because of the style of architecture in the PS4 it be easier for developers to release games for both PS4 and PS5. PS5 will also be more than likely to support PS4 games.

The next generation change will be less disruptive to PS4 so Sony aren't throwing away the success they've built up and hitting the reset button to allow Xbox a chance to gain any ground on them.

the-pi-guy

Switch might be 3.5 years old when the PS5 comes.  Crazy .

Dr. Pezus

I'm sure fist parties wouldn't dare break any nda, but with that said, I don't think we'll see new hardware until 8 years after the PS4s launch.  Sony's console cycle has gotten longer by one year since the PSX.  Hardware just changes way to slowly.
Nah I'd bet my apartment on 2020

Switch might be 3.5 years old when the PS5 comes.  Crazy .
What will we even call that gen  ::)

the-pi-guy

Nah I'd bet my apartment on 2020
What will we even call that gen  ::)
The whole generation thing is kind of weird, but where should we put the Switch?

Dr. Pezus

The whole generation thing is kind of weird, but where should we put the Switch?
Personally I don't really go with generations anymore

Legend

Personally I don't really go with generations anymore
Switch is the only recent system to not be in an obvious gen though.

9th gen handheld or 8.5th gen console. I wouldn't say it's next gen since it's designed as what the wii u should have been.

Switch will be lucky if next gen isn't till 2020 since it will not be able to support next gen games.

Xevross

Switch is the only recent system to not be in an obvious gen though.

9th gen handheld or 8.5th gen console. I wouldn't say it's next gen since it's designed as what the wii u should have been.

Switch will be lucky if next gen isn't till 2020 since it will not be able to support next gen games.

Agreed. It fits in the handheld gens nicely, but it throws console gens out of the water.

I guess it depends when the switch successor comes, if the switch has a very long life we can call it a 9th gen console. If the next console comes within a couple of years of PS5/ Nextbox then Switch was an anomaly, and that console is 9th gen.