How should games be announced?

Started by Legend, Mar 09, 2018, 04:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

Lots of new games announced today, and not even a cgi trailer. These are nothing more than titles.

So do you like this method?

Maybe you prefer games being announced in financial statements, like this year's Battlefield.

Or do you like when it's first revealed with gameplay? Something else?

DerNebel

Ideally with gameplay or at least something that's in engine. No longer than 18 months before launch and that timeframe should be reserved for new IP's, well established IP's should release within less than a year of announcement imo.

CGI teaser trailers, press release announcements with nothing to show or announcements with nothing but a title can fudge right off.

Xevross

If its games for later this year that we will likely be seeing quite a lot of very soon, I think this is a fine way to announce a game. It prevents leaks and gets it out on the company's own terms.

I think the trailers/ gameplay should be saved for the big events, so announcing a game like this at e3 or something like that would be very disappointing. Announcements like this before e3 with stuff to see at e3 are good.

Legend

If its games for later this year that we will likely be seeing quite a lot of very soon, I think this is a fine way to announce a game. It prevents leaks and gets it out on the company's own terms.

I think the trailers/ gameplay should be saved for the big events, so announcing a game like this at e3 or something like that would be very disappointing. Announcements like this before e3 with stuff to see at e3 are good.
Yeah announcing this way helps avoid leaks.

Also I really like how smash was revealed. I just wish it included a little bit of text to go with it. At least tell us the developers.

Xevross

Yeah announcing this way helps avoid leaks.

Also I really like how smash was revealed. I just wish it included a little bit of text to go with it. At least tell us the developers.
Yeah, like a combination of the Blops 4 and smash announcement is perfect.