Ancient cities were bigger, denser similar to modern settlements: Study

Started by 7H3, Feb 21, 2015, 06:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.wallstreethedge.com/ancient-cities-were-bigger-denser-similar-to-modern-settlements-study/22550/

A new research has found that the ancient cities were similar to their modern days counterparts as far as bigger and denser settlements of their inhabitants are concerned.

The researchers explain as the modern cities have large populations as well as density, these significant characteristics were also exhibited by the ancient settlements.

The study was conducted by the researchers at the Santa Fe Institute and the University of Colorado Boulder. The researchers began the study in order to find out whether the age-old cities and today's settlements function in similar ways.

Scott Ortman, from the Department of Anthropology at the University of Colorado Boulder, who was one the researchers, analyzed a surveyed data of ancient cities, settlements, temples and houses in Mexico's pre-Hispanic Basin.

The researcher group analyzed the structures' dimensions in order to estimate the rates of the construction of the monuments, the household productivity and the populations and densities prevailed in ancient settlements.

The findings showed that the age-old settlements having high population were more productive. Similarly, they found that the rate at which the productivity rose was the same as in the modern cities.

"It was amazing and unbelievable. We've been raised on a steady diet telling us that, thanks to capitalism, industrialization, and democracy, the modern world is radically different from worlds of the past. What we found here is that the fundamental drivers of robust socioeconomic patterns in modern cities precede all that, "Ortman said.

Personally I always thought this... didn't realize it was just in my head until now though lol
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

Yeah I've also always thought the past was much more advanced than we give them credit for.

7H3

Yeah I've also always thought the past was much more advanced than we give them credit for.

cuz of da ALIENZZZ!
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend