Started by the-pi-guy, Feb 02, 2017, 04:23 PM

previous topic - next topic

Linked Events

Xevross

Everything?  :O
That feels like TMI.  
Everything.

Some great impressions from The Lamp on gaf here:

NeoGAF - View Single Post -  Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

I just woke up. Time to play more.
 This game so far is really a mix of borrowed "feel" and mechanics from other games, but polished them pretty well I'd say. At 20% or 6 hours in, to kind of summarize my feelings, I would best describe it like this (I'm making mechanics comparisons, take it with a grain of salt as I'm just one person but I think I'm being pretty fair here):
 The hunting and foraging feels like a mix between the elements in TLOU and the Tomb Raider Reboots. The natural open world populated with wildlife, NPCs with problems, and towns naturally integrated into the map feel kind of like RDR. Also, whoever asked earlier, you can ride a "horse" (you can take control of beasts on the map and ride them)
 The platforming/exploration mechanics (how the character feels as they clamber around the rocky environment) feels like a mix between The Witcher 3 and Shadow of Mordor with a touch of Uncharted (there's some ledge plarforming that surprised me that is obviously ND-inspired).
 The bow combat kinda feels like a polished mix between Tomb Raider reboots and TLOU. The hand to hand combat is not too deep but it's satisfying and polished, with the spear that feels kind of like using the tuning fork from inFamous 2, but you have "heavy" and "light" attacks with R1 and R2.
 The crafting systems remind me of the Tomb Raider reboots. The ability upgrades remind me of many games that have those features, like Tomb Raider reboots, inFamous, Kingdom Hearts, etc (but it's not as flashy or varied as the last two).
 The fights against tougher machines are thrilling and feel a lot like when you battle tough enemies in inFamous 2. Lots of dodging and sliding out of enemy fire, then zooming in to fire shots at weak spots. You feel like two powerful entities battling. This is my favorite part of the game.
 There's merchant-style trading like any open world RPG that lets you get new items and weapons and upgrades.
 The story could shame the bed later but right now it is opening up to be way more interesting and "oh shame" than I personally expected. I haven't seen an open world action RPG story and lore engross me in unexpected ways at a magnitude like this since Assassin's Creed 1.
 The open world RPG style feels condensed and tightly driven around the narrative. Kinda like The Witcher 3 but with even more "fat" trimmed to keep the game's narrative in the spotlight. There's other stuff to do. I had fun just toying around in the open world last night. But the urgency is there to play the main story.
 I'll try to refrain from more impressions until I'm much further into the game, like later this afternoon. I'll be able to say if the game maintains its consistency

Another guy who's played about 5 hours said they completely agree with this.