Started by Raven, Jan 23, 2017, 05:40 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Raven

Jan 23, 2017, 05:40 AM Last Edit: Apr 27, 2017, 05:32 AM by Legend

Developer: Cloud Imperium Games

Publisher: Cloud Imperium Games

Platforms: PC

Release Date: TBA (Currently in very early alpha)

Every week, the videos released for Star Citizen on its official Youtube channel will be posted in this thread.

Raven

Jan 23, 2017, 05:44 AM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 05:47 AM by Raven
2017 WEEK 1

Raven

Jan 23, 2017, 05:45 AM Last Edit: Jan 23, 2017, 05:55 AM by Raven
2017 WEEK 2

2017 WEEK 3

Legend

With news and gameplay ramping up, a dedicated thread makes sense.

I really don't know much about Star Citizen. Heard tidbits about the controversy but the gamescom 2015 demo was my first real introduction. That got me pumped and the imagine trailer got me super hyped. Bought the Aurora package that holiday mostly as a cheap pre-order.

One thing I hope changes is the local physics grid. Everyone else loves it but for me it's near game breaking how physics don't work inside ships. The pilot could be blacking out from g forces yet a player behind them can jump normally.

I want the insides of ships to feel like they are actually moving. If the pilot rams into a wall, things inside should fly forward.

No clue if this is planned ::)

Raven

With news and gameplay ramping up, a dedicated thread makes sense.

I really don't know much about Star Citizen. Heard tidbits about the controversy but the gamescom 2015 demo was my first real introduction. That got me pumped and the imagine trailer got me super hyped. Bought the Aurora package that holiday mostly as a cheap pre-order.

One thing I hope changes is the local physics grid. Everyone else loves it but for me it's near game breaking how physics don't work inside ships. The pilot could be blacking out from g forces yet a player behind them can jump normally.

I want the insides of ships to feel like they are actually moving. If the pilot rams into a wall, things inside should fly forward.

No clue if this is planned ::)
They are absolutely working on local physics grids to improve them and make them more realistic. Whether or not they make it to where if you slam into a "wall" the guy standing behind you ends up a clobbered mess in front of you or goes straight through the glass, I have no clue. Would be funny as hell. However, I have seen and heard them talk about catastrophic hull damage creating situations where atmosphere is suddenly vented out of the ship and how that might send a player character or NPC out into space as well.

nnodley

I need to get one of the packs before the full release of the single player. Don't want to be stuck paying $60 for each.  

Legend

New subreddit for me to subscribe to  ::)

Star Citizen Languages

Kerotan

When did development start on this?  And how many years before it's finished would you guess?

the-pi-guy

When did development start on this?  And how many years before it's finished would you guess?
Not sure if this is a good source.

The Status of Star Citizen
This is only just occurring because a lot of new technology had to be developed to execute the game to the scale and fidelity the game aims to offer. The latest released roadmap takes the development to the end of 2017, around which time the game can be expected to enter beta. It may be reasonable to expect initial launch (which will not include every single feature listed in the RSI stretchgoals page and countless other outlets, and will make about 60 of the 110 planned star systems available) by the end of 2018.

Legend

The single player campaign will hopefully release by the end of this year.

The MMO part will release in updates. 3.0 will be released in the coming months.
starcitizen_30
starcitizen_31
starcitizen_32
starcitizen_33
starcitizen_40

4.0 seems about the time it'll feel like a full game and that will be 2018/19 probably.

After 4.0, there are still a lot of features planned.

Raven

Not sure if this is a good source.

The Status of Star Citizen
No. During CitizenCon last year they did a slideshow and pointed out that development on Star Citizen didn't begin until January 2013. They didn't even start crowdfunding to be able to get started on it until October 2012. The only thing about Star Citizen that existed prior to that was some concept art, a few pieces of literature to describe the universe, and then a CG trailer used to promote the concept for crowdfunding. The game has only been in development, technically speaking, for 4 years now. Practically, considering they needed to greatly expand the team, acquire studio spaces, and get together the development tools to get started, the game didn't really go into production until about 2.5 years ago at most.

the-pi-guy

Jan 24, 2017, 07:26 PM Last Edit: Jan 24, 2017, 07:42 PM by the-pi-guy
No. During CitizenCon last year they did a slideshow and pointed out that development on Star Citizen didn't begin until January 2013. They didn't even start crowdfunding to be able to get started on it until October 2012. The only thing about Star Citizen that existed prior to that was some concept art, a few pieces of literature to describe the universe, and then a CG trailer used to promote the concept for crowdfunding. The game has only been in development, technically speaking, for 4 years now. Practically, considering they needed to greatly expand the team, acquire studio spaces, and get together the development tools to get started, the game didn't really go into production until about 2.5 years ago at most.
I'm just going off what Chris Roberts said. 
From 2012:
Chris: Basically I've been working with a small team over the course of the past year to get the early prototyping and production done. The team has varied in scale from just me, essentially, to about 10 people. That's just the actual work though.
pre-development seems to have started around 2011. 
Even though full work didn't start until much later. 

After that point, it's a semantics argument. 

Raven

I'm just going off what Chris Roberts said.  
From 2012:
After that point, it's a semantics argument.  
Yeah. Actual production, getting everything in place with the intent AND ability to actually make what they wanted, that didn't begin until early 2013. Saying it happened earlier than that isn't really accurate. As you said, it becomes a semantics game. They didn't have anything they needed to begin the real work until then and it took another year or two before they could really go full steam with it. Basically, they had to go from a handful of people to 4 studios and over 300 people. Like, they had to build the company before they could even really do the game.

Kerotan

So they've been working on the game for 6 years and it will likely take another 3 at least.  You're looking at a 10 year dev cycle.  Crazy long time.  Could even be next gen before it releases.  

Raven

So they've been working on the game for 6 years and it will likely take another 3 at least.  You're looking at a 10 year dev cycle.  Crazy long time.  Could even be next gen before it releases.  
No. Like I said, they've only been working on it for 4 years and almost half of that time was spent actually building the company so they could make the game. It's also a huge MMO AND a separate single player game they're making. It took Bioware over 6 years to make The Old Republic, and that was an established developer with the financial backing of EA right from the start, creating what largely amounted to a WoW / EQ-clone with cinematic dialogue. It bombed and went free-to-play in less than a year.

The single player game, Squadron 42, will probably release late this year, which they didn't even start really working on until January 2014, a year after they began work on Star Citizen. This also puts the beginning of its development right in the middle of them building up the company. Performance capture for the game didn't even start until April 2015. At most, the single player game has been in development for 3 years now. The same amount of time it takes one of Activision's established studios to crank out yet another Call of Duty.

The MMO, Star Citizen, will probably hit retail release in 2019 or 2020 at the latest. That would put its development timeline around 7 or 8 years. That's not too terribly far outside the norm for a new, big MMO and to be expected considering it's not hyperbole to say that this game may very well be the most ambitious of all time. It's being created by a developer that didn't even have all the studios it needed until 2.5 years after it began and didn't even have roughly the same number of people as Naughty Dog until close to 3 years after. Plus, it's not even the only project they have, though the two do tie into one another.

These guys are building what is either going to be the greatest disappointment in gaming of all time or the most impressive game ever and the best ever made in its genre, which may very well determine the near future fate of the MMO and space-sim genre. With that kind of pressure, all eyes being on you after raking in what is now over 142 million dollars and approaching 2 million backers, you kinda wanna do it right and make sure it's as awesome as you could have made it. That takes time.

Go Up