God of War Game Informer New Details

Started by the-pi-guy, Jan 05, 2018, 11:25 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

God of War Game Informer New Details | ResetEra

To get the big one out of the way, the game is listed as Early 2018 and the developers won't say anything beyond that. A few tidbits from the article that just went up on Game Informer: Combat: -Combat is based on prioritizing enemies, it's not as chaotic as in the past. For example certain enemies are resistant to Leviathan which is Kratos Axe, others are impossible to stagger. -Use of your surroundings is important to get through combat scenarios. Gives players a few different choices in completing combat scenarios. -Leviathan is can be thrown to freeze certain enemies and a button needs to be pushed to summon it back to you. -Not sure if this was known, but there's no jump button -Shield is used to parry and as well in melee combat -Arteus (Kratos' Son) is an extension of Kratos moveset, can be used to attack certain enemies by pushing the square button. -While not being directed in combat Aretus will rain arrows on enemies which will increase their stun meter, once they are stunned Kratos can grab the enemies and either rip them apart or use them as weapons. The example given is a specific enemy creates an area of effect attack that launches the rest of the enemies in the air Traversal: -No more jumping or swimming -Kratos and Arteus use boats to traverse the environment when appropriate Upgrade System: -Skills, armor, weapons can all be upgraded -Uses some type of crafting system that the developers are being tight lipped about -Can craft different types of armor -Skill upgrades and crafting of armor applies to Arteus as well -There are rune slots on the axe that can change the properties of the weapon for both light and heavy attack Weapons: -Being tight lipped about other weapons appearing in the game, but say that the Axe and Shield are the star of the show. Miscellaneous -They wanted to get away from the destroy all Gods mentality that they had in previous God of Wars so they Made Kratos more vulnerable. The only time he really goes insane in combat is during Spartan Rage where he starts demolishing characters with just his fists. -After Ascension it was hard to get the higher ups to sign off onto another God of War game, they were pretty much done with the franchise, Cory had to pitch something great and fresh in order to get the game greenlit. -Cory speaking about the future of God of War mentions the Mayan Era or the Egyptian Era -Cory mentions he wants this new direction of God of War to reach way more people and go into Uncharted and Assassins Creed levels and to grow the franchise That's what I got for now, I'll update once I dive into the article some more  

darkknightkryta

I wouldn't be surprised if combat is what's taking so long.  It doesn't sound too good, but they're going to make it work, which will take a lot of fine tuning to get it right.  Though I'm not sure why Cory didn't want to try something else.  He had a clean slate to try something new.

Legend

On media blackout but how does it sound?

DerNebel

On media blackout but how does it sound?
Are tweets ok?

In short: Just wait for reviews or until the game is out instead of trying to read into these snippets of information imo.

nnodley

Combat sounds perfectly fine and judging by gameplay videos its a much needed change and looks fantastic, imo.

BananaKing

I wouldn't be surprised if combat is what's taking so long.  It doesn't sound too good, but they're going to make it work, which will take a lot of fine tuning to get it right.  Though I'm not sure why Cory didn't want to try something else.  He had a clean slate to try something new.
It's most likely taking so long because the game seems huge. 25-35 hours long.

darkknightkryta

It's most likely taking so long because the game seems huge. 25-35 hours long.
RPGs are longer and don't take 5 years to make?

DerNebel

Which RPGs are you talking about here?

the-pi-guy

Jan 07, 2018, 05:24 PM Last Edit: Jan 07, 2018, 05:28 PM by the-pi-guy
FFXIII took 6.  XV took 10.  
Polish and graphics takes time.  

New gameplay and concepts and location take time.

darkknightkryta

FFXIII took 6.  XV took 10.  
Polish and graphics takes time.  

New gameplay and concepts and location take time.
FFX took 2.5 and nuggets all over those others.  With that said, FF XIII only had about 1.5 years of full development cause no one knew WTF they were doing until they made the demo and XV probably had a development time of around when Nomura was taken off the project till completion

Which RPGs are you talking about here?
Any?

the-pi-guy

FFX took 2.5 and nuggets all over those others.  
I agree, but game development time and costs have ballooned. PS1 games often took months. PS2 games often took a year or two.  PS3 games often took 2-4 years.  PS4 doesnt seem to be changing that.   And it's bizarre that you seem to be ignoring that.  

DerNebel

FFX took 2.5 and nuggets all over those others.  With that said, FF XIII only had about 1.5 years of full development cause no one knew WTF they were doing until they made the demo and XV probably had a development time of around when Nomura was taken off the project till completion

Any?
Yeah, no not "any". Big RPGs nowadays regularly take 5 years+ to make, like FFXV, Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts 3 or Fallout 4.

And no, "pre-production" or "they changed what they were making and only actually started on the final game x years before it launched" are not valid counter arguments to this. These development detours can happen with any game and are regularly included when devs talk about the time it took them to make the final product. I mean who knows what God of War was supposed to be when it started production.

darkknightkryta

Yeah, no not "any". Big RPGs nowadays regularly take 5 years+ to make, like FFXV, Mass Effect Andromeda, Horizon, Kingdom Hearts 3 or Fallout 4.

And no, "pre-production" or "they changed what they were making and only actually started on the final game x years before it launched" are not valid counter arguments to this. These development detours can happen with any game and are regularly included when devs talk about the time it took them to make the final product. I mean who knows what God of War was supposed to be when it started production.
Andromeda, Fallout 4 and Horizon took 5 plus years to make?  I doubt Fallout and Andromeda did.  Horizon was done in 4.  Who knows if they even actually started Kingdom Hearts since I don't trust Square's capabilities to make any games.
I agree, but game development time and costs have ballooned. PS1 games often took months. PS2 games often took a year or two.  PS3 games often took 2-4 years.  PS4 doesnt seem to be changing that.   And it's bizarre that you seem to be ignoring that. 
I'm not, All Mass Effect games were made on 2 year schedules.  Same with all the Uncharteds.  God of War is normally on 4 year schedule, but Santa Monica is also a coding house working on a lot of projects at a time.

the-pi-guy

Andromeda, Fallout 4 and Horizon took 5 plus years to make?  I doubt Fallout and Andromeda did.  Horizon was done in 4.  Who knows if they even actually started Kingdom Hearts since I don't trust Square's capabilities to make any games.I'm not, All Mass Effect games were made on 2 year schedules.  Same with all the Uncharteds.  God of War is normally on 4 year schedule, but Santa Monica is also a coding house working on a lot of projects at a time.
Andromeda - 2012-2017
Horizon - 2011-2017 (they started after 3)
Fallout 4 was at least 4.  

The original Mass Effect had 3 years of development.

I'm not, All Mass Effect games were made on 2 year schedules.  Same with all the Uncharteds.  
Those are PS3 games though. PS4 games take longer.  :P

And God of War is less than 5 years.  

darkknightkryta

Andromeda - 2012-2017
Horizon - 2011-2017 (they started after 3)
Fallout 4 was at least 4.  

The original Mass Effect had 3 years of development.

Those are PS3 games though. PS4 games take longer.  :P

And God of War is less than 5 years.  
Except time to triangle is less on PS4 than PS3.  It won't take that much more time to develop a game on PS4 than it does on PS3.  Andromeda was in development hell, but I am wrong.  Why is Fallout 4 more just because?  Mass Effect 2 and 3 were done in 2.5 years.  I don't think God of War will be less than 5 years.  If it was coming out this year then yes.  It's not.