30 when graphics are much better
2 (22.2%)
mostly depends on the game
3 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 9

ethomaz

Just to not make confusion :D

I'm perfectly fine with 30fps.

But 60fps is better... well it is... there is no disadvantage... it is better and that is not even subjective... it is a fact.

Legend

Just to not make confusion :D

I'm perfectly fine with 30fps.

But 60fps is better... well it is... there is no disadvantage... it is better and that is not even subjective... it is a fact.

I disagree.

60 fps is better for gameplay and visual quality, but it's still a preference. Just like some people prefering film grain, some people can prefer 30 fps. Especiallyfor game cinematics.

ethomaz

I disagree.

60 fps is better for gameplay and visual quality, but it's still a preference. Just like some people prefering film grain, some people can prefer 30 fps. Especiallyfor game cinematics.

Preference due nostalgia... I have that too... every market (cars, music, games, etc) we fit our preferences based in nostalgia... yeap I agree... I prefer some old cars even when I know it have disadvantages over a new model.

But that didn't change 60fps is better and it is not subjective :D

You can prefer 30fps even knowing 60fps is better ;)

Mmm_fish_tacos

It really depends on the game. And to be honest, useless it's really horrible, like what ever was going on in GTA5 I don't normally notice the difference between the two. But a racing sim or a fighting game i believe it's a must. Most other games can get away with it. Like destiny for example. It was only running 30 and i felt the gun play was just as smooth as Call of duty or any other game that touts 60 FPS as a must.

ethomaz

It really depends on the game. And to be honest, useless it's really horrible, like what ever was going on in GTA5 I don't normally notice the difference between the two. But a racing sim or a fighting game i believe it's a must. Most other games can get away with it. Like destiny for example. It was only running 30 and i felt the gun play was just as smooth as Call of duty or any other game that touts 60 FPS as a must.

I really wanted to see Destiny at 60fps.

darkknightkryta

Almost all games pre-PS1 (eg. NES, SNES, Mega Drive, Master System)... 30fps become a option after PS1/Saturn release with tridimensional graphics.

Few games run at 30fps pre PS1 age... I have no idea why devs choose to go with 30fps after PS1 and now they are backing to 60fps again.

But like I said, where's the proof of that?  You say all games, what actually did run at those speeds?  Mario?  Can that be confirmed by anything?  You can't just magically have games running at 60hz, especially with those slow processors.

ethomaz

Jul 29, 2014, 09:40 PM Last Edit: Jul 29, 2014, 09:50 PM by ethomaz

But like I said, where's the proof of that?  You say all games, what actually did run at those speeds?  Mario?  Can that be confirmed by anything?  You can't just magically have games running at 60hz, especially with those slow processors.

There is nothing to to with slow processors... the processors was really faster at the time... the devs always choose 60fps for games... SNES have few exceptions like Start Fox that runs at 19fps.

And remember 2D games didn't push the hardware like 3D games... so that is because pre-PS1 age 90% of the games was 60fps... and yes all Mario games in NES/SNES runs at 60fps.

Here a thread:

http://forums.emulator-zone.com/archive/index.php/t-7888.html (note: his comments was before PS3 launch :P so he expected 120fps because Sony roadmap http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/article/NEWS/20051027/110194/1027sce_hd_roadmap.jpg)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=801930

60fps was the standard with exceptions of course.

Legend

I hear a lot of people say what etho is saying, but I've also heard the opposite every now and then. Really the only way to know for sure is to pop in some old games and test them ourselves.

ethomaz

I hear a lot of people say what etho is saying, but I've also heard the opposite every now and then. Really the only way to know for sure is to pop in some old games and test them ourselves.

Start Fox original at sub 20fps (right) and modded chip at faster fps.

These are exceptions... most games run at 60fps in old days (well the emulation people that say the game run that fps)... I have two SNES games yet if I can record them ;)

Dr. Pezus

You can make a test now ;)

Play TLOUS in 60fps and 30fps... you will see the difference... I'm glad they did that because before you can't compare different games to see the framerate differences but now it is the same game... the controller response is way better.

That is the main reason the controls in SNES age had faster response than today and why I believe Sonic never worked after Mega Drive... but that are my guesses :D

Finally the console peasants can experience the difference with their own eyes (and hands!)

darkknightkryta

Aug 11, 2014, 02:24 PM Last Edit: Aug 11, 2014, 02:26 PM by darkknightkryta
But that's the thing, I hear that old consoles ran at 60fps, but other than emulators there's nothing to back that up.  Since emulators have to run at 60.  I mean, I've seen games on emulators have slow downs with the framerate still at 60, PSX games at that (Note I don't think very many PSX games were at 60fps).  Plus I've been messing around and I've noticed a stark difference in framerate between Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 2.  My suspicion is that Marvel vs Capcom 2 runs at 60 while the original is at 30.

ethomaz

But that's the thing, I hear that old consoles ran at 60fps, but other than emulators there's nothing to back that up.  Since emulators have to run at 60.  I mean, I've seen games on emulators have slow downs with the framerate still at 60, PSX games at that (Note I don't think very many PSX games were at 60fps).  Plus I've been messing around and I've noticed a stark difference in framerate between Marvel vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 2.  My suspicion is that Marvel vs Capcom 2 runs at 60 while the original is at 30.

Few PS1 games was 60fps... mostly 2D games only.

Think like before 3D they didn't need to down from the native TV refresh rate but with 3D graphics that changed... a example is that most games in SNES (2D) was 60fps but StarFox that was the first to try 3D was 15fps.

Legend

Should we buy a NES and test the 2D games?

Dr. Pezus

I'm pretty sure I've played games in emulators @30FPS

ethomaz

Aug 11, 2014, 03:21 PM Last Edit: Aug 11, 2014, 03:25 PM by ethomaz

I'm pretty sure I've played games in emulators @30FPS

ZSNES and SNEX9x the default is 60fps... you can choose 30fps but that get slow down and over 60fps you have fast... I used 180 fps to grind in RPGs :D

ZSNES FAQ.

NTSC games natively run at ~60 FPS. PAL games natively run at 50 FPS.

Go Up