So did T-Mobile really surpass Sprint as the No. 3 wireless carrier?

Started by 7H3, Feb 20, 2015, 12:09 AM

previous topic - next topic

7H3

http://www.cnet.com/news/so-did-t-mobile-really-surpass-sprint-as-the-no-3-wireless-carrier/
The crux of T-Mobile's argument lies in a line in Sprint's financial filings with the Securities Exchange Commission that counts 1.7 million customers through resale partners that have been inactive "for at least six months." T-Mobile CEO John Legere believes those customers shouldn't be counted, and suggested Sprint meddled with the numbers to put it on top.

Sprint, however, maintained that it has used this accounting method for years, following a policy to not remove a customer from its records until its resale partner officially notifies the company. The company declined to comment further on T-Mobile's comments.

Sprint is hanging on to its No. 3 position, as long as you follow its accounting rules.
Troy Thomas/Sprint
That there's even a debate shows how statistically close the two carriers were to end the year, a testament to the progress T-Mobile has made over the past two years and, conversely, the struggles that Sprint has dealt with. Sprint officially ended the quarter with 55.9 million customers, while T-Mobile ended up with a little more than 55 million.

Another article noted that the company's trust in low price plans helped with this as well as calling them the "un-carrier"
I've seen other news where tmobile was unlimiting access to services like pandora for free at no data cost to the consumer without charging pandora to do so like other carriers do currently.
"It's hip to be square." - Eurogamer<br />"Shut up its art!" -Legend

Legend

I haven't heard about sprint in a long time. Makes sense I guess.

Oh wait they have that annoying goat one now. Ya I guess I don't like them.

Xevross

Never heard of sprint in my life!

I guess this is different to the UK, where EE just own everyone. O2 and Vodafone have the leftovers

Legend

Never heard of sprint in my life!

I guess this is different to the UK, where EE just own everyone. O2 and Vodafone have the leftovers

Take that back! (I'm a vodafone stock holder)

Xevross

Take that back! (I'm a vodafone stock holder)

Vodafone are a good 2nd I think but since EE was created its become a powerhouse.

7H3

AT&T was the first phone company, got monopoly bustest and then came the baby bells which are now all verizon... so the top 2 companies are basically from the same old company AT&T
sprint was a lot bigger with land lines I think,

BasilZero

Didnt it get merged?

7H3

Didnt it get merged?

with at&t? no that fell through