Learning a language? Come share your progress here!

Viewing single post

Started by Legend, Dec 20, 2016, 06:31 AM

previous topic - next topic

the-pi-guy

Dec 27, 2016, 03:31 AM Last Edit: Dec 27, 2016, 03:33 AM by the-pi-guy
I took french in high school.  But it never really stuck with me.  I can tell someone what my name is though and still know how to say most of the alphabet.
In high school I took 3 years of spanish, didn't stick with me very much.  :P

One thing I didn't really like about class in high school, is that we had to pick a Spanish name. 
Whereas in my Japanese class, we were shown how to write our actual names in Japanese.  Which I really appreciated.  Did not have to pretend to be Timoteo or something... like I did in Spanish class. 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I usually had like a list of like 10 languages I would like to learn in my lifetime.  Wasn't always the same list, but usually was like:
Japanese
German
French
Chinese
Russian
Spanish
Latin
Greek
Italian

Well there's 9 at least.
Arabic would probably be pretty useful.
---------------------------------------
On my plane ride, there was a gentlemen next to me who was Chinese and he was reading a Chinese book.  I thought it was pretty cool because I recognized a handful of symbols.  (I could tell it wasn't Japanese, there weren't any Hiragana/Katakana.) 
It is actually making me pretty interested in learning Chinese now.  More than before.  There are a lot of similarities with the writing. 

I'd like to learn Japanese before going there one day.
The Japanese major at my school uses the Genki books. There are 2 books + a supplement for each, and that basically covers the introductory Japanese (actually the first 5 classes).  And then Tobira is the book they use next.  Tobira has 2 supplementary books.  But those books cover the language learning at the University here. 

Don't know if that interests you at all, but I thought I'd mention it.  :D

--------------------------
On like a fourth note, I think my fiance will be learning Japanese with me.  Also at least one of my friends will be as well. 
Pretty cool.