Telltale shutting down

Started by Xevross, Sep 21, 2018, 08:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Xevross

Telltale Games shutting down after finishing TWD S4; Stranger Things and TWAU2 cancelled | ResetEra

Mod Edit: https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/21/17888162/telltale-games-layoffs-the-walking-dead

Telltale Games, creators of episodic adventure games like The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, and Batman: The Enemy Within, laid off a large number of its staff today. The company will retain a small team of around 25.Click to expand...
https://twitter.com/joeparlock/status/1043223544639959040
(​IMG)

Original Story:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ead_developer_Telltale_Games_closing_down.php

Just twitter reports so far, nothing confirmed by the studio

Seems like there are some murmurings going about. But it's certainly come out of nowhere. :O

I suppose why it's kind of shocking is because of all the games and contracts they announced and were supposedly working on and all the IP they had gotten. But I guess maybe they weren't actually profitable?

Update1:
The Verge saying Mass Layoffs and only 25 employees remain
 Nirolak said:  
I checked this again, and they were at 400 before their previous layoffs, and went down to 310 in that layoffs, so around 285 people laid off: https://www.pcgamer.com/telltale-games-lays-off-nearly-a-quarter-of-its-staff/Click to expand...
[/size]

dang, telltale are a big one to go. Can't say I'm surprised though, they just don't innovate with their games any more. They've always been a chore to play and they've been getting old.

BananaKing

Yeah they really didn't try to expand on their games. They were just the same thing each time. If they started adding more dynamic gameplay and expanding on that and their production quality maybe they would have expanded their audience and garnered more interest.

The walking dead season 2 was pretty great. And I'll be playing GoT sooner or later. Shame they are gone.

nnodley

WHAT THE fudge!  That is a sad one to lose.  I've loved everyone of them I've played.  I thought their games still did pretty well, but I guess not.

Kerotan

I loved TWDS1 and TWAU. Both epic. And then i enjoyed TWDS2, GOT and TFTB. i think I've gotten all those from ps plus except maybe 1. And i think I still have 1 more of their series to play from ps plus. Could be batman.

Really bummed about losing TWAU S2 though. I would have actually bought that.

Legend

That's shocking. They seemed to be doing great. What was the problem?

Hopefully the devs find new work easily. QD and Supergiant seem to be the only big studios working on these types of games now.

darkknightkryta

That's shocking. They seemed to be doing great. What was the problem?

Hopefully the devs find new work easily. QD and Supergiant seem to be the only big studios working on these types of games now.
Probably mismanagement. It also sounds like they made the same mistake THQ made and just had too many games in production at once and burned through cash.

Xevross

Yeah they really didn't try to expand on their games. They were just the same thing each time. If they started adding more dynamic gameplay and expanding on that and their production quality maybe they would have expanded their audience and garnered more interest.

The walking dead season 2 was pretty great. And I'll be playing GoT sooner or later. Shame they are gone.
Eh, as a big Game of Thrones fan I wouldn't really recommend playing the game. Just watch a playthrough. This is their main problem, their games are more fun to watch than play because playing them is so tedious. The only one I've enjoyed is Borderlands.

Probably mismanagement. It also sounds like they made the same mistake THQ made and just had too many games in production at once and burned through cash.
Apparently only TWD season 1 and Minecraft made any money. The rest of their games cost them money, especially batman.

BananaKing

Eh, as a big Game of Thrones fan I wouldn't really recommend playing the game. Just watch a playthrough. This is their main problem, their games are more fun to watch than play because playing them is so tedious. The only one I've enjoyed is Borderlands.
Apparently only TWD season 1 and Minecraft made any money. The rest of their games cost them money, especially batman.
I don't generally watch gameplay walkthroughs for fun. I'd very much rather play the game. I'm a huge GoT fan as well so it will be fun even if it's not Great.

I'm surprised the walking dead season 2 didn't make them money.

Xevross

I don't generally watch gameplay walkthroughs for fun. I'd very much rather play the game. I'm a huge GoT fan as well so it will be fun even if it's not Great.

I'm surprised the walking dead season 2 didn't make them money.
Yeah I guess if you'd rather play it then its worth playing, just don't expect anything great.

Yeah that's a shocker, I think it shows how hard it is for their model of games to make money. And that's baffling, if their games were struggling so much to make money then why didn't they change them, even slightly? Sounds like telltale was run horribly from a business perspective.

Legend

Maybe they spent too much money on licenses for the IPs. It's weird that their relatively simple games couldn't be profitable even with so many sales.

Dr. Pezus

Shocking. I was always surprised by the sheer number of games they were making. Got pretty stale the past few years but borderlands was excellent

nnodley

what also sucks is that they were actually attempting to add more interactivity to the gameplay with TWD: Final season.  There was more control over killing walkers and trying to break small groups of them up so you don't get overwhelmed.  

Horrible for everyone laid off.  But it is definitely not a good time for newer developers to try to get jobs in AAA studios cause over 400 people between Telltale and Capcom Vancouver are now looking for jobs and will likely be applying for all positions everywhere.  

Kerotan

Sep 23, 2018, 06:06 AM Last Edit: Sep 23, 2018, 06:08 AM by Kerotan
what also sucks is that they were actually attempting to add more interactivity to the gameplay with TWD: Final season.  There was more control over killing walkers and trying to break small groups of them up so you don't get overwhelmed.  

Horrible for everyone laid off.  But it is definitely not a good time for newer developers to try to get jobs in AAA studios cause over 400 people between Telltale and Capcom Vancouver are now looking for jobs and will likely be applying for all positions everywhere.  
Surely there's a lot of jobs in mobile gaming? These guys are way too qualified for that though. This is tragedy. I could at least accept it if they finished the games they were working on first. It's cruel reading the wolf among us 2 and then shutting down.

The banks are very unforgiving when you burn through your cash.

Legend

nnodley