GameDB now has better platform and filtering options

Started by Legend, Sep 16, 2018, 12:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Legend

I'm in the middle of improving the game database. I really like using it as a wishlist for games so I'm focusing on features that I will personally appreciate. Let me know if these changes work for you or if there's something about the updates you don't like.

the-pi-guy

What's with the 3 options next to each platform?  

Not exactly important, but it'd look nicer if each game was basically a box (that was the same size for every game) with the box art and the title.  It just looks a little off with some games taking up more space.  

Legend

What's with the 3 options next to each platform?  

Not exactly important, but it'd look nicer if each game was basically a box (that was the same size for every game) with the box art and the title.  It just looks a little off with some games taking up more space.  
Exclude, ignore, include. I'm going to align it into a table and then collapse the platforms into a generic platform button.

The games can't be boxes unless there is a lot of black/white space around them. Not all games have the same aspect ratio for their covers, especially amongst PC exclusives. I do plan to do a little bit of visual cleanup though. Probably remove the edit button but keep the space between rows.

the-pi-guy

The games can't be boxes unless there is a lot of black/white space around them. Not all games have the same aspect ratio for their covers, especially amongst PC exclusives. I do plan to do a little bit of visual cleanup though. Probably remove the edit button but keep the space between rows.
That's what I was meaning by having a fair amount of space.  I might be wrong, but I think having them lined up like that would be a nice improvement.

Legend

That's what I was meaning by having a fair amount of space.  I might be wrong, but I think having them lined up like that would be a nice improvement.
Gotcha!

Xevross

Very much this. I almost cry every time I go into the database because of how out of line they all are ;D

Legend

I made them all uniform and also made it so you can add a game from the game's page instead of just from your profile.

Legend

Added a status filter. At least for my own needs, this seems good enough for that page. Is there anything else anyone else would really like while I'm in the code?

darkknightkryta

Now add a backlog function so I can break it with my backlog.

the-pi-guy

I made them all uniform and also made it so you can add a game from the game's page instead of just from your profile.
Yay!  Looks better!  
Added a status filter. At least for my own needs, this seems good enough for that page. Is there anything else anyone else would really like while I'm in the code?
Someone: *waits 2 days*, "Yeah, doing X would be great!"
Legend:  "Coming right up!"
*5 minutes later*
"I don't remember what any of this does.  Sorry no X today!"

Legend

Now add a backlog function so I can break it with my backlog.
How would you like that to work?

Give games a backlog tag? Have it part of the completion value?

If I am adding tags to user games, which other tags would people like? Favorite tag, GOTY tag, "I know it's dumb but I like it" tag, and a finished tag?
Yay!  Looks better!  Someone: *waits 2 days*, "Yeah, doing X would be great!"
Legend:  "Coming right up!"
*5 minutes later*
"I don't remember what any of this does.  Sorry no X today!"
Forum stuff isn't too bad since everything is so simple but that happened all the time with VizionEck before I realised the importance of commenting your own code.

darkknightkryta

How would you like that to work?

Give games a backlog tag? Have it part of the completion value?

I don't  know :(

Legend

@the-Pi-guy

I added a VR tag to the database. Is that to your liking?

the-pi-guy

@the-Pi-guy

I added a VR tag to the database. Is that to your liking?
This is something I didn't even realize I wanted.
Yes, it is good.   ;D

Legend

I changed the way game progress is setup. Let me know if you like this better.

It makes it work as a backlog now.